Samsung Galaxy Note 3

linhpham2

So I currently get 4G up to my garage. The minute I step inside I have no reception. In fact, I need an airvana just to make and receive phone calls.

Would a triband phone fix this problem? Could I assume that I'd have better/stronger reception or would this assumption be false?

I was waiting for the Note 3 specifically hoping for triband.

I dont want to get a G2 because I cant go back to a smaller screen and love the s pen.

So I currently get 4G up to my garage. The minute I step inside I have no reception. In fact, I need an airvana just to make and receive phone calls. Would a triband phone fix this problem? Could I assume that I'd have better/stronger reception or would this assumption be false? I was waiting for the Note 3 specifically hoping for triband. I dont want to get a G2 because I cant go back to a smaller screen and love the s pen.

That's how it is at my father's home. 4G in the garage, porch etc. Not anywhere Inside the brick fortress. The site closest to him @. 8 miles is not upgraded yet, but I imagine 800LTE would be available indoors already. That portion (800smr) LTE would be effective, the 2.5/6 GHz is only for outdoor use.

So I currently get 4G up to my garage. The minute I step inside I have no reception. In fact, I need an airvana just to make and receive phone calls.

Would a triband phone fix this problem? Could I assume that I'd have better/stronger reception or would this assumption be false?

I dont want to get a G2 because I cant go back to a smaller screen and love the s pen.

Haha you are the same guy as in the XDA forums.  Same exact words too.  In short, you have a huge decision to make since the Note 3 is single band LTE to weigh the pros and cons of the Note 3.  The pros from your description seems to be the user experience with the S-pen, large screen, samsung software features and the cons seems to be the LTE coverage at home and being stuck with only 1 LTE band for the next 2 years.

I think if your number 1 only concern is with LTE coverage is at your garage, I think the Note 3 will be worth it to you.  Honestly if you are at home, you should be using your home wifi to connect to the internet on your phone.  LTE should be reserved for mobile use when you are out and about.  I would hate to give up my ideal phone especially if you can't deal with the smaller screen if its just for the reason of not being able to use it at home.

Your other problem is that the current PRL for the Note 2 (2000) disables access to 1x 800, due to an issue in Shentel areas. If you don't live or travel in their coverage area, you can flash a different PRL that re-enables 1x 800, which should greatly help with indoor voice coverage, assuming it's been deployed in your area. Then you shouldn't need the Airave.

As for home data use, Eric is right- it's really best to rely on WiFi. If I were you, since you love the features of your Note so much, I wouldn't bother with the Note 3 since it apparently won't offer support to any part of the network the Note 2 doesn't already. Keep on enjoying it until the Note 4 comes out.

Haha you are the same guy as in the XDA forums.  Same exact words too.  In short, you have a huge decision to make since the Note 3 is single band LTE to weigh the pros and cons of the Note 3.  The pros from your description seems to be the user experience with the S-pen, large screen, samsung software features and the cons seems to be the LTE coverage at home and being stuck with only 1 LTE band for the next 2 years.

I think if your number 1 only concern is with LTE coverage is at your garage, I think the Note 3 will be worth it to you.  Honestly if you are at home, you should be using your home wifi to connect to the internet on your phone.  LTE should be reserved for mobile use when you are out and about.  I would hate to give up my ideal phone especially if you can't deal with the smaller screen if its just for the reason of not being able to use it at home.

I stand on the other end of the fence, Mobile data should be available at your home.  Have you ever gone down the street to talk to your neighbor?  Walked to a convenience store?  Growing up around Realtors I learned At&t has been very successful, a great deal attributed to the fact that services have worked indoors.  Many people are tech illiterate when it comes to networks, the average user thinks something is wrong with the phone if it doesn't work in their home. 

Yes, you should still use Wifi at your home though. 

-Will

• Like 3

I stand on the other end of the fence, Mobile data should be available at your home. Have you ever gone down the street to talk to your neighbor? Walked to a convenience store? Growing up around Realtors I learned At&t has been very successful, a great deal attributed to the fact that services have worked indoors. Many people are tech illiterate when it comes to networks, the average user thinks something is wrong with the phone if it doesn't work in their home.

-Will

Agreed. Nothing worse than when the Bright House Internet goes down and you're left with 3G that doesn't do much.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4

I stand on the other end of the fence, Mobile data should be available at your home.  Have you ever gone down the street to talk to your neighbor?  Walked to a convenience store?  Growing up around Realtors I learned At&t has been very successful, a great deal attributed to the fact that services have worked indoors.  Many people are tech illiterate when it comes to networks, the average user thinks something is wrong with the phone if it doesn't work in their home. 

-Will

My point was not to emphasize that mobile data should be restricted at to be out and about for mobile use.  Of course certain jobs rely on having mobile data reception all the time including inside homes like realtors who have to show people homes all day.  But the difference is that when you are on the clock as a realtor you are still working on the job so that is ok.  I am just talking about if you are just lounging around at your own home and you have a nice broadband connection, you should be using your home wifi.  If mobile data issue is a major concern for use at home, the OP shouldn't be on Sprint then especially if the OP is not wiling to wait.  Besides the OP said he was complaining about lack of LTE coverage indoors and not 3G coverage so he can't say that there is a lack of mobile data and that something is wrong with his phone.

My point was if someone really likes a phone for its user experience (like the OP has stated) and his only main complaint was LTE reception indoors (which sucks but we know Sprint is working on bringing LTE800) but LTE coverage works great when he is out and about, its hard to advise someone not to look over that fact especially if he doesn't want to downsize to a smaller screen and loves the S-pen.  The OP sounds like just an average user who is only interested in the user experience when looking for a phone and not the technical details of it.

• Like 1

I agree that it's important for service to work indoors, but fortunately because most residences and many businesses now have Wi-Fi, it may be enough to get away with just 1x 800 (voice and slow data) indoors until Samsung wises up and releases a Note that supports Sprint's entire network.

Basically, you have to weigh what's more important to you- having LTE data coverage indoors, or the various features of the Note series that you love. You could certainly use your upgrade on a LG G2 or Nexus 5 (or even the gargantuan Galaxy Mega), but you lose out on S-pen, microSD, removable battery, large screen, Samsung software, etc. That people have to decide which way to go at all is what has so many confused, disappointed and frustrated.

In case you missed the earlier discussions on the matter, also keep in mind that all tri-band Sprint phones (at least the early ones) will lack both SVDO and SVLTE. You'll only be able to talk and surf at the same time while on Wi-Fi.

Sprint LTE is way to fragile indoors and I can't the times that I go into a doctors office, grocery store such as Walmart or even in the car trying to stream music and it doesn't work. Walmart for some unknown reason does not have WiFi and also I would not trust public WiFi as its to easy for someone who knows what they are doing to hack as opposed to a cellular network that is 10 times more secure

• Like 1

Sprint LTE is way to fragile indoors and I can't the times that I go into a doctors office, grocery store such as Walmart or even in the car trying to stream music and it doesn't work. Walmart for some unknown reason does not have WiFi and also I would not trust public WiFi as its to easy for someone who knows what they are doing to hack as opposed to a cellular network that is 10 times more secure

I'm not suggesting most people should skip tri-band. For anyone who can afford to, it absolutely is the right move, and one that benefits both Sprint and their customers. But for someone like glenavo34 who is eager to continue using the features that make the Note line unique, 1x 800 for indoor voice and sms, along with Wi-Fi for most indoor data needs, may together be enough to hold out another year for the Note 4.

As for public WiFi, either don't engage in sensitive activities (like banking) when on such a network or use a VPN- they usually work pretty well.

U would not believe how many times a day I look at sensitive info on WiFi at home and can't on the go because of sprints network right now but besides that my EVO LTE is feeling old and I'm quite bored with it after almost 17 months of having it. It has nothing to set it apart from the rest besides a kickstand and hd voice capablities that I have never seen the light of day.

I'm not suggesting most people should skip tri-band. For anyone who can afford to, it absolutely is the right move, and one that benefits both Sprint and their customers. But for someone like glenavo34 who is eager to continue using the features that make the Note line unique, 1x 800 for indoor voice and sms, along with Wi-Fi for most indoor data needs, may together be enough to hold out another year for the Note 4.

As for public WiFi, either don't engage in sensitive activities (like banking) when on such a network or use a VPN- they usually work pretty well.

U would not believe how many times a day I look at sensitive info on WiFi at home and can't on the go because of sprints network right now but besides that my EVO LTE is feeling old and I'm quite bored with it after almost 17 months of having it. It has nothing to set it apart from the rest besides a kickstand and hd voice capablities that I have never seen the light of day.

I can't wait until you upgrade from the EVO LTE, because you will get almost double the LTE coverage just by getting rid of that dog.

Robert

• Like 4

I want to hop on the of g2 bandwagon but is seems so far away from being released. Probably exactly a month from the upcoming Friday. Sucks that the other carriers beat sprint to the punch.

I can't wait until you upgrade from the EVO LTE, because you will get almost double the LTE coverage just by getting rid of that dog.

Robert

• Like 1

I want to hop on the of g2 bandwagon but is seems so far away from being released. Probably exactly a month from the upcoming Friday. Sucks that the other carriers beat sprint to the punch.

I am starting to think that Sprint is purposely delaying the LG G2 launch so that its LTE 2600 network is built out more before releasing it.  We know the LTE 800 network won't be built any time soon so we can scratch that.  However Sprint is trying to make some strong progress to complete up 5000+ LTE 2600 sites by the end of the year so I figure they are just trying to give the OEMs more time to build out the network as much as it can by late October.  Just my 2 cents.

I am starting to think that Sprint is purposely delaying the LG G2 launch so that its LTE 2600 network is built out more before releasing it. We know the LTE 800 network won't be built any time soon so we can scratch that. However Sprint is trying to make some strong progress to complete up 5000+ LTE 2600 sites by the end of the year so I figure they are just trying to give the OEMs more time to build out the network as much as it can by late October. Just my 2 cents.

I don't think so. Look when Sprint started selling LTE devices instead of Wimax. LTE was pretty much nowhere to be found.

This message brought to you in part by Sprint and the letters GS and the number 4

I think it is reasonable for a consumer to expect to be able to use data indoors as there are many situations where you will not be at home or have access to wifi.

As regards triband, at least two possibilities present themselves.

1- this is a sku for regional cdma carriers who may have a roaming agreement with sprint and therefore need some of their bands rather than sprints actual sku.

2- this is sprints sku and it doesn't support triband either to reduce the cost, because it wanted the rf360 chip and they couldn't get the volume in time or because sprint didn't get satisfactory terms for it's own sku (again related to pricing).

Time will tell. I am not a fan of the secret squirrel approach, barring a miracle I am ordering the verizon note 3 later today. I think Sprints NV program is excellent and I look forward to using sprint in a couple of years time (when it actually gets close to being done in Hawai'i given the permits), but personally I'd rather not wait longer and Sprint hasn't made any noise about its plans (I still think Sprints a great carrier, this isn't an anti sprint rant :-) ).

Edit: just for giggles, given we are on the subject of the note 3 and fcc filings, it looks like verizon state their note only has lte on 700mhz yet their filing shows it on at least 700 + aws. Methinks that this may mean they will issue a software update to enable aws later.

I did have another thought as to Sprints choice, if that is their sku, perhaps they simple make more money on the lg g2 and wanted to make it more attractive, $100 less and triband and ois, makes for a decent argument for the g2 (unless you want the spen or a removeable battery like I do).

I think it is reasonable for a consumer to expect to be able to use data indoors as there are many situations where you will not be at home or have access to wifi.

As regards triband, at least two possibilities present themselves.

1- this is a sku for regional cdma carriers who may have a roaming agreement with sprint and therefore need some of their bands rather than sprints actual sku.

2- this is sprints sku and it doesn't support triband either to reduce the cost, because it wanted the rf360 chip and they couldn't get the volume in time or because sprint didn't get satisfactory terms for it's own sku (again related to pricing).

Time will tell. I am not a fan of the secret squirrel approach, barring a miracle I am ordering the verizon note 3 later today. I think Sprints NV program is excellent and I look forward to using sprint in a couple of years time (when it actually gets close to being done in Hawai'i given the permits), but personally I'd rather not wait longer and Sprint hasn't made any noise about its plans (I still think Sprints a great carrier, this isn't an anti sprint rant :-) ).

I, too, am now considering sticking with AT&T and getting the Note 3 in the next couple weeks (barring a Sprint tri-band miracle) - ships 10/1 on AT&T so they don't have long!  I just want the phone to work inside and in crowded areas - speed is way down on the priority list.

• Like 1

I don't get why the note 3 wouldn't be triband just because things aren't rolled out. If it isn't at least dual band, Im not upgrading and getting stuck in a 2 year contract w/ a single band phone

The original EVO was being sold and I didn't get WIMAX even at the end of my 2 year contract.

Edited by glenavo34

I don't get why the note 3 wouldn't be triband just because things aren't rolled out. If it isn't at least dual band, Im not upgrading and getting stuck in a 2 year contract w/ a single band phone

The original EVO was being sold and I didn't get WIMAX even at the end of my 2 year contract.

That is the million dollar question that we are all scratching our heads about.  The Galaxy Mega 6.3 and GS4 Mini phones for Sprint were passed through the FCC with triband LTE capabilities. I outlined the other choices you have if you want a triband LTE so you just have to decide what matters most to you.

The LG g2 doesnt interest me at all. I don't think the buttons on the back are intuitive and assuming its the basis for the nexus 5, why pay 199 and upgrade when u might be able to buy it for 249 or 299 direct from google and keep your upgrade eligibility?

I could buy the S5 later this year, then sell the Nexus at that time.

Cost, politics or delays :)

It's not their sanest decision but we don't know for sure that is their decision yet. It may either be a sku for regional carriers that roam on sprint or sprint may be planning on releasing an updated note farther down the road. If you really want a note 3 on sprint I would suggest waiting until they actually do announce it then you will know for sure, or at least you may see another note sku head through the fcc. 

You can tell him that he does not know what he is talking about.  The SM-N900P model number is correct, and the authorization is not for engineering samples.  As I was gathering data from the FCC OET filing again today, I noticed this:

i3555e.png

AJ

Just as an update, it looks like the guy (garwynn) from XDA who was optimistic about having a source close to the situation that was told the Note 3 will be triband has caved.  He now thinks that it will most likely be single band LTE.  Looks like S4GRU - 1, garwynn - 0

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=45678737&postcount=78

• Like 1

The LG g2 doesnt interest me at all. I don't think the buttons on the back are intuitive and assuming its the basis for the nexus 5, why pay 199 and upgrade when u might be able to buy it for 249 or 299 direct from google and keep your upgrade eligibility?

I could buy the S5 later this year, then sell the Nexus at that time.

All I say is don't knock it until you try it at an ATT or Verizon store.  It sounds weird but after playing with it at an ATT and Verizon store, the back buttons aren't too bad.  I know the reaction of most folks when they heard about the back buttons have balked but when you watch and read the tech reviews on youtube and tech blogs, most were fine with the back button placement if not happy that the change was made.

I am pretty sure that the Nexus 5 will not be $249 off contract.  At the very minimum it will be $299 off contract for a 8 GB version and $349 for a 16 GB version with no SD card support.  For the LG G2 with 2 year contract you will be getting 32 GB model for $199.  Verizon, ATT and Tmobile have only been selling the 32 GB model so I expect Sprint will follow.

I highly doubt Google releases the new one as a 8gb option. 32gb is starting to be the norm so at the bare minimum I would expect 16gb. 

Even if the 16gb is $349, that's only $150 more than the $199 Sprint version. $150 more to be able to upgrade at anytime is worth it to me. Especially when I consider that the Nexus can be sold when the S5 comes out.

I would proabably keep the nexus 5 and the gs5 until the next nexus comes out that way if the gs5 is slow on updates you will still have the nexus 5

I highly doubt Google releases the new one as a 8gb option. 32gb is starting to be the norm so at the bare minimum I would expect 16gb.

Even if the 16gb is $349, that's only $150 more than the $199 Sprint version. $150 more to be able to upgrade at anytime is worth it to me. Especially when I consider that the Nexus can be sold when the S5 comes out.