All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

Hmmm, Dan deliberately looked directly into the camera when he said that this deal doesn't obligate them to make moves on CLWR or metropcs; are they trying to blunt the increase in clear's stock price, is the takeover already in the bag, or are they really gonna leave'em hangin?

Dan Hesse just stated in the Q&A that they are not acquiring Clearwire right now. It is not part of this agreement with Softbank.

opps, you're much faster than my touchpad's keyboard with the feed running in the background!

Hmmm, Dan deliberately looked directly into the camera when he said that this deal doesn't obligate them to make moves on CLWR or metropcs; are they trying to blunt the increase in clear's stock price, is the takeover already in the bag, or are they really gonna leave'em hangin?

No, not hanging. Sprint is banking on using Clear's LTE network to offload from the Sprint LTE network in the big cities, so using some of the money to help fund the Clearwire LTE rollout is very possible. But if Sprint bought out Clearwire completely, it could be bad for FCC auctions in the future, namely the PCS H-block.

• Like 1

AJ did mention that not all of Clearwire's spectrum would count against Sprint's spectrum screen. He mentioned that only 55.5Mhz would actually count against sprint. Probably because a lot of the spectrum is leased from universities.

True, I do remember him mentioning that. But I think that Clear needs to continue to operate as a separate company for a period of time after New Sprint has been formed. It will be healthier for competition.

AJ did mention that not all of Clearwire's spectrum would count against Sprint's spectrum screen. He mentioned that only 55.5Mhz would actually count against sprint. Probably because a lot of the spectrum is leased from universities.

Well I'm sure that they would want to keep that off their total if this is the motivation, 55mhz is still a lot even if the spectrum cap is supposed to be different now.

True, I do remember him mentioning that. But I think that Clear needs to continue to operate as a separate company for a period of time after New Sprint has been formed. It will be healthier for competition.

Plus Clear still seems to be of the opinion that they are going to lease out bandwidth to other players on their non-existant network

hmmmm, I hope this works out. You know what I like?

The combined company is just the right size...

uploadfromtaptalk1350292701730.jpg

Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

The fact the Sprint is as big and getting bigger than AT&T. hehehe

Well. it's a done deal. Now comes Miller time. I want to see what they are going to do with the $8B dollars that will go directly into Sprint's coffers. In orde3r of importance, I hope they use it for:

1. Speeding up NV (if it is a matter of money)

2. Strengthening their spectrum position (either through acquisitions, PC-H band, sub 700MHz spectrum, etc.)

3. Customer acquisitions (mergers)

• Like 1

I'm sure some of the newly acquired cash from Softbank is going to go to pay down some of that $20 billion in debt Sprint has. How much remains to be seen.

That's probably why the Clearwire deal is being delayed too. Clearwire has a mountain of debt itself.

Well. it's a done deal. Now comes Miller time. I want to see what they are going to do with the 8B dollars that will go directly into Sprint's coffers. In orde3r of importance' date=' I hope they use it for:

2. Strengthening their spectrum position (either through acquisitions, PC-H band, sub 700MHz spectrum, etc.)

3. Customer acquisitions (mergers)[/quote']

I think the NV speed up has already started. Robert had heard a rumor about 3rd and 4th markets starting early (which looks like is true)....and with this past weeks NV update being the the largest ever....it all kinda makes sense after this deal.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using JB 4.1.1

Well. it's a done deal. Now comes Miller time. I want to see what they are going to do with the $8B dollars that will go directly into Sprint's coffers. In orde3r of importance, I hope they use it for:

3. Customer acquisitions (mergers)

Is there an upcoming auction for spectrum that's below 700MHz? :o

And let the speculation about further consolidation begin! :tu:

I'm so thrilled for Sprint that I don't want to speculate at all as to what will happen! Its pointless to ask "Does this mean that Sprint will .....". For now, Sprint will "stay the course" and attempt to hit all the metrics it has projected to hit until the deal is finalized.

I now wait with baited breath to hear about their revised and refreshed plans to improve our experience as this will touch all aspects of the company.

8 billion is a lot of money, but when you start talking acquisitions or expansive network growth, it could go quickly.

Next up: 3rd quarter reporting. Like someone here hinted, we might be in for a net profit. The overhead saved on the iden shutdown that already occurred could have very easily pushed them back in the black. Would be fantastic news for the stock.

• Like 2

for ks-man

Pursuant to the merger, holders of outstanding shares of Sprint common stock will have the right to elect between receiving $7.30 per Sprint share or one share of New Sprint stock per Sprint share, subject to proration. Holders of Sprint equity awards will receive equity awards in New Sprint.

So either you take the offer, or you keep your shares which will be converted to whatever the 30% remaining of the new stock.

As far as your options, I believe it will be as mentioned earlier, if you still have them at the time of conversion, they will be executed for the strike price and you will no longer own them. Your remaining shares will be your sell for offer, or keep in whatever dilution of the new company stock.

I wonder if SoftBank also invested in sprint for their ability to turn around their network and customer service. Seems like a lot of comments on theverge/Engadget say they have a pretty poor network and horrible customer service.

SoftBank has a couple different networks, which it probably wants to consolidate.

Note that New Sprint is a holding company, and the Sprint brand survives as is. For now...

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I would think this is all incredibly exciting and liberating for Hesse. He has survived the majority of the board. His ideas and disciplines with sprint have clealy impressed Son. Ive always thought Hesse dreamed bigger and brighter for sprint than they had the means to accomplish alone.

• Like 4

I would think this is all incredibly exciting and liberating for Hesse. He has survived the majority of the board. His ideas and disciplines with sprint have clealy impressed Son.

Or maybe Masayoshi is looking for a father figure. Dan Hesse is clearly tall enough to pat him on the head and call him "Son."

:P

AJ

• Like 6