All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

Delaying the softbank vote and lending charlie some faith he will get sprint deflates all hell breaking loose between the sprint vote and the clear vote. If he were to lose sprint, he would bet the farm and everything hes got on clear, in spite.

Sent from my Note II. Its so big.

That what I was thinking the plan is. Dish is already over leveraged in the Sprint deal. Any raise in price would make their offer even less enticing compared to a raised softbank deal.

Clearwire is still cheap by comparison. Dish could put down a price of 10 dollars a share to block Sprint. Depleting the funds that softbank has infused into sprint. A raised offer from Softbank could put even more capital into sprint, while the same would not be true in Clearwire regards.

Delaying the softbank vote and lending charlie some faith he will get sprint deflates all hell breaking loose between the sprint vote and the clear vote. If he were to lose sprint, he would bet the farm and everything hes got on clear, in spite.

He still can't get more than 26% of the vote. Do you think the cable cos are going to sell him their share, benefiting a competitor? Intel is also probably promised a certain number of intel based devices once they get their LTE modem out.

No sure what this means for the future, but SoftBank is tapping the Japanese savings market again for more low rate debt.  SoftBank is raising another $4.2 billion of cash through bond offerings.  Might just be refinancing debt or could be strengthening the cash reserves for the Sprint/Clearwire deals.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-07/billionaire-son-taps-mrs-watanabe-for-sprint-bid-japan-credit.html?cmpid=yhoo

• Like 1

No sure what this means for the future, but SoftBank is tapping the Japanese savings market again for more low rate debt.  SoftBank is raising another $4.2 billion of cash through bond offerings.  Might just be refinancing debt or could be strengthening the cash reserves for the Sprint/Clearwire deals.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-07/billionaire-son-taps-mrs-watanabe-for-sprint-bid-japan-credit.html?cmpid=yhoo

I think they will increase their bid $26 billion last second.  :o

• Like 2

Exclusive: SoftBank eyes T-Mobile US as ‘Plan B' - sources

Reuters – 6 minutes ago

By Paritosh Bansal and Soyoung Kim

(Reuters) - SoftBank Corp (9984.T) is in talks with Deutsche Telekom AG (DTEGn.DE) over a possible deal for T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.N), as the Japanese company looks for alternatives to enter the U.S. wireless market if its $20.1 billion deal with Sprint Nextel Corp (S.N) falls apart, according to three sources familiar with the situation on Friday.

. . .

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-softbank-eyes-t-mobile-193643098.html

:td: Music to to that rat bastard Charlie's ears I'm sure. I wonder what, if anything, Sprint would get if SoftBank walked away from the deal. 

Between the clowns at Crest, Mount Kellett, et al on one side and Charlie on the other, I certainly figure that it's conceivable that at some point that Son could throw his hands up and say, "To hell with this." The only thing with T-Mobile USA is that it wouldn't give Son his economies of scale in regards to 2.5GHz TD-LTE.

• Like 1

:td: Music to to that rat bastard Charlie's ears I'm sure. I wonder what, if anything, Sprint would get if SoftBank walked away from the deal. 

Between the clowns at Crest, Mount Kellett, et al on one side and Charlie on the other, I certainly figure that it's conceivable that at some point that Son could throw his hands up and say, "To hell with this." The only thing with T-Mobile USA is that it wouldn't give Son his economies of scale in regards to 2.5GHz TD-LTE.

If Sprint walks away from SoftBank, Sprint has to pay a fee to SoftBank $600m I think.  If SoftBank goes with T-Mobile and actually grows their coverage, they will "sprint" passed Sprint into 3rd place and climb the mobile operator ladder...

This has been a gut fear of mine since the Dish bids started.  Dish will destroy Sprint...

• Like 1

I think economic scale is a huge part of this Sprint deal though, plus T-mobile could not compete as well as Sprint could compete with the big two.  I am not sure I buy that he is already going to give up on the deal. Dish does not even have a legit offer on the table.  I guess we will see what happens in the coming weeks.  

Another interesting updated.  Seems odd for the courts to get involved in such an important part of a company's future... I am a little biased towards the Softbank merger though

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/07/4278697/hearing-on-sprint-merger-lawsuit.html

June 7

By MARK DAVIS The Kansas City Star

A court hearing on whether to delay next week’s shareholder vote on Sprint’s acquisition by a Japanese company ended early Friday afternoon.

Johnson County District Judge Thomas M. Sutherland heard arguments from attorneys of shareholders who contended that Sprint’s $20.1 billion deal with SoftBank Corp. favors the buyer over existing shareholders.

The judge said there would be no ruling on Friday, but promised a written decision before next Wednesday.

During the three-hour court hearing...

Exclusive: SoftBank eyes T-Mobile US as ‘Plan B' - sources

Reuters – 6 minutes ago

By Paritosh Bansal and Soyoung Kim

(Reuters) - SoftBank Corp (9984.T) is in talks with Deutsche Telekom AG (DTEGn.DE) over a possible deal for T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.N), as the Japanese company looks for alternatives to enter the U.S. wireless market if its $20.1 billion deal with Sprint Nextel Corp (S.N) falls apart, according to three sources familiar with the situation on Friday.

. . .

:td: Music to to that rat bastard Charlie's ears I'm sure. I wonder what, if anything, Sprint would get if SoftBank walked away from the deal.

This leak probably was not an accident. Its now a game of chicken. I doubt most stockholders want Dish to buy, however they would love for Softbank to up the offer. I am pretty sure this is a lot of the posturing going on now. This also includes Clearwire.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 1

Guys what is your opinion on SoftBank being in talks with T-Mobile as a plan B if in case sprint decides not to go with Dish (which I think is crazy). This really worries me my gut is telling me that sprint my actually go with dish which would not be a smart move in my opinion.

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/06/07/softbank-said-to-be-in-talks-for-possible-t-mobile-deal-as-backup-to-sprint-transaction/

Or a reminder to Sprint shareholders that Softbank doesn't have to buy Sprint to enter the US market.

Edit: I should probably explain myself. This happens with every interesting large buy that gets a competing bid. It turns into a massive game of chicken with the stockholders. I'm fairly sure most of Sprint shareholders do not want Sprint to be bought by Dish, however Dish's offer is realistic enough that the Sprint shareholders that want to milk as much money out of softbank as possible are using it to try and do that. I don't think Dish even feels it's a real offer, since Dish hasn't formally offered it yet or lined up the financing.

Sent from my EVO LTE

• Like 3

Another interesting updated.  Seems odd for the courts to get involved in such an important part of a company's future... I am a little biased towards the Softbank merger though

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/06/07/4278697/hearing-on-sprint-merger-lawsuit.html

While, I do not want the courts involved, I would be okay if they made an injunction to delay the vote. I still believe that Clearwire must be reeled in prior to the sprint-softbank vote. If Softbank gets Sprint, it would allow cheapie charlie to focus on obstructing the Sprint-Clearwire deal.  The Sprint-Clearwire deal is still a relatively cheap deal. Sprint's current offer is valued at 2.5 Billion and Dish's offer is around 1.63 billion for 25% of the company(6.5Bil for the whole company). Dish could deplete Sprint's new capital in this bidding war. 

Dish cannot raise their current offer on Sprint without adding more debt, which could be a huge red flag for Sprint, especially because they are coming from a history of being unable to compete because of being over leveraged.  
  • Like 1

Sick to my stomach. Cant someone just shoot Charlie Ergen in the face? Rat faced lunatic. I will not carry an "Ergen Wireless" device.

I like to hope for the best, but history tells us to expect sprint to get the shaft.

• Like 7

Sick to my stomach. Cant someone just shoot Charlie Ergen in the face? Rat faced lunatic. I will not carry an "Ergen Wireless" device.

Like you I won't carry a Ergen wireless device.

In this article they state a proxy firm recommends voting for Softbank and states they have not evaluated Dish's offer because it was "preliminary" and hasn't been entered directly though a tender.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100782122

Dish may be able to delay the vote but I will be surprised if they even able to do that. They will likely up their bid but Sprint may call the vote anyway and tell the shareholders that are raising a stink to put up or shut up.

Sent from my EVO LTE

SoftBank has to protect their own interests. They would be foolish to not consider T-Mobile if Sprint blows up. It's much less of a technical transition for one. WCDMA/LTE carrier buys out WCDMA/LTE carrier. Dog bites man.

Also, Sprint's own history of mismanagement at the board level has to come into play. The merger call is not made by Hesse. It's made by Jim Hance. If I'm right, wasn't he on the Sprint board when Nextel came into play? Hance blocked the MetroPCS deal, and that nothing to do with AWS spectrum, it was his incompetence.

They can always buy spectrum in band 41 from a desperate, over-leveraged Dish. If SoftBank buys T-Mobile, believe me, they'll be able to, over the long term, do everything they wanted to do with Sprint.

Also, you all better believe that Hesse's history with Son at Terabeam will come up. The end of Terabeam wasn't that inspiring. While I may not like Dish, if Dish ups SoftBank's bid to a point where a complete buyout provides a premium on Sprint's bid, which would be $28.71 billion, then Hance is going to sell out.

• Like 2

SoftBank has to protect their own interests. They would be foolish to not consider T-Mobile if Sprint blows up. It's much less of a technical transition for one. WCDMA/LTE carrier buys out WCDMA/LTE carrier. Dog bites man.

Also, Sprint's own history of mismanagement at the board level has to come into play. The merger call is not made by Hesse. It's made by Jim Hance. If I'm right, wasn't he on the Sprint board when Nextel came into play? Hance blocked the MetroPCS deal, and that nothing to do with AWS spectrum, it was his incompetence.

They can always buy spectrum in band 41 from a desperate, over-leveraged Dish. If SoftBank buys T-Mobile, believe me, they'll be able to, over the long term, do everything they wanted to do with Sprint.

Also, you all better believe that Hesse's history with Son at Terabeam will come up. The end of Terabeam wasn't that inspiring. While I may not like Dish, if Dish ups SoftBank's bid to a point where a complete buyout provides a premium on Sprint's bid, which would be $28.71 billion, then Hance is going to sell out.

As soon as ergen won, I am willing to bet his interest would magically disappear and his true intentions would shine. Ergen would buy up surplus spectrum from Clearwire, then sign a network share deal with Sprint. That has always been Ergen's endgame. He is not going to over leverage his company to get Sprint. He is trying to agitate.