All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

I find your lack of knowledge of the Japanese language...

disturbing.

</darthvader>

Well, Darth, take that up with the "Soft-uh-Bank" announcer. Or maybe the dog will see you to address your complaint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od3nBvG59iA

AJ

Well, Darth, take that up with the "Soft-uh-Bank" announcer. Or maybe the dog will see you to address your complaint.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od3nBvG59iA

AJ

sofutobanku.

sofuTO, not tuh!

I know I'm nitpicking, but that's what happens when you study things and see people doing it not quite right. I'm sure you know the feeling :lol:

• Like 2

Interesting (and positive) opinion piece...

http://venturebeat.c...nt-makes-three/

• • • •

BTW, I hear "Softu Banku" in those ads, which matches with what happens with my name when spoken (or spelled using Japanese characters - "トーマス"): Tomasu (There is no "s" sound as the last sound in a word in Japanese, the closest is the "su" sound.)

• • • •

EDIT: Notice also the spelling below in my signature. That's the original spelling, and is pronounced roughly as "TOWmush" if one is in a clump of Eastern European countries.

• Like 3

Those commercials are so terrible. I'll take a Kishu though.

Maybe SoftBank will buy out Sprint, but then SK Telecom will buy out SoftBank. The Koreans will know what to do with that dog...

:P

AJ

Maybe SoftBank will buy out Sprint' date=' but then SK Telecom will buy out SoftBank. The Koreans will know what to do with that dog...

AJ[/quote']

I love Korean BBQ. Yum!

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 2

sofutobanku.

sofuTO, not tuh!

I know I'm nitpicking, but that's what happens when you study things and see people doing it not quite right. I'm sure you know the feeling :lol:

Eh, "to-may-to," "to-mah-to." Pronunciation is subjective...

On the other hand, RF is objective. Screw that up, and I will rip you a new one.

AJ

I love Korean BBQ. Yum!

Dog. The other white meat.

Wait, that does not sound right. But the dog is white, correct?

AJ

• Like 2

Bulgogi! :P

I am not sure that I want to know...

AJ

Eh, "to-may-to," "to-mah-to." Pronunciation is subjective...

On the other hand, RF is objective. Screw that up, and I will rip you a new one.

AJ

Pronunciation is only subjective in the respect that it's based on what people agree. Say it wrong, and you're either wrong... Or have an American accent :P

I am not sure that I want to know...

AJ

Bulgogi (Korean pronunciation: [pulɡoɡi]) or neobiani[1] is a Korean dish that usually consists of grilled marinated beef, chicken or pork. It is listed at number 23 on World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll compiled by CNN Go in 2011

Speaking of which... i have some Jajamyun outside :D 'nom nom nom'

• Like 1

Say it wrong, and you're either wrong... Or have an American accent :P

Not just either...or.

I say it wrong...and I have an American accent. But that is by design...and I use it to the desired effect.

;)

AJ

• Like 1

I have some beef marinating in kalbi right now in the fridge. Gonna have it tomorrow. (That stuff is habit-forming - love the flavors.)

Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not just either...or.

I say it wrong...and I have an American accent. But that is by design...and I use it to the desired effect.

;)

AJ

Are you making light of me?

Pronunciation is only subjective in the respect that it's based on what people agree. Say it wrong, and you're either wrong... Or have an American accent :P

Remember that pronunciation in Japanese varies, among other things, on gender... a woman might say "Sofutobanku" pronouncing everything, but chances are a guy is going to elide those "u"s - the short "o" sounding like uh in English phonetics.

Read somewhere that softbank is trying to borrow 23 billion to finance the deal. If they are simply trying to use somebody else's money then its no big deal. But if they don't have the cash on hand and they have to finance the deal then this could be a big negative.

Read somewhere that softbank is trying to borrow 23 billion to finance the deal. If they are simply trying to use somebody else's money then its no big deal. But if they don't have the cash on hand and they have to finance the deal then this could be a big negative.

It's very common for companies to finance large deals. They don't want to deplete cash reserves for many reasons. One being that often debt securities require a certain amount of cash and equivalents to be kept.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

i might be wrong, but i don't think this deal will happen. SoftBank is paying too little for Sprint. AT&T/ Tmo deal was valued at abt $32Bil (older network & less subs) Sprint is worth closer to $35Bil - 40Bil+. Sprint will be profitable in 2014 or early too.

I don't have the financials on hand for the two companies, but I imagine that Sprint will come with a lot more debt and future financial obligations than T-Mobile would've, due to the Network Vision rollout, the $15.5 billion iPhone commitment, and 7 years of hemorrhaging money. Don't forget that T-mobile was playing it safe for a few years and trying to reduce their debt load to make themselves a more attractive buyout target.

i might be wrong, but i don't think this deal will happen. SoftBank is paying too little for Sprint. AT&T/ Tmo deal was valued at abt $39Bil (older network & less subs) Sprint is worth closer to $39Bil - 40Bil+. Sprint will be profitable in 2014 or early too

Sorry actually AT&T / Tmo Deal was worth $39Bil

$39Bil x 0.70% = $27.3Bil. Sprint has More Subs - 15mil more & newer NV network coming online

Tmo has alot less subs, older network, less debt too

Edited by alphnasx

Sorry actually AT&T / Tmo Deal was worth 39Bil

39Bil x 0.70% = 27.3Bil. Sprint has More Subs - 15mil more & newer NV network coming online

Tmo has alot less subs' date=' older network, less debt too[/quote']

The contrast is startling between the two deals. However, I believe ATT may have been over paying for Tmo. But that makes sense, because Tmo and Sprint were talking. So ATT had to shoot way higher than Sprint could afford.

But in contrast, it seems that Sprint may be undervalued in the SoftBank deal. ATT would likely spend a lot more for Sprint than that. But ATT and VZW will not be allowed to buy Sprint. So, SoftBank is going in low knowing no one else in their right mind would buy Sprint at this time.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Remember that pronunciation in Japanese varies, among other things, on gender... a woman might say "Sofutobanku" pronouncing everything, but chances are a guy is going to elide those "u"s - the short "o" sounding like uh in English phonetics.

While you are correct, for some people, in Kanto-ben mostly, modern Japanese romanization techniques all agree on "o". And as we are communicating via text, it should be o, not uh. :lol:

It's very common for companies to finance large deals. They don't want to deplete cash reserves for many reasons. One being that often debt securities require a certain amount of cash and equivalents to be kept.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I'm aware of that. What I dont know is if that is the situation here considering that softbank is already carrying a $10 billion dollar debt. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/10/12/us-sprint-softbank-idUSBRE89A0I520121012