All Sprint acquisition discussion (was "Japan's Softbank in talks for $12.8 bln Sprint stake")

kckid

On the note of name change. Likely there will be some change but not too major. (softsprint? j/k) Perhaps they will just change the name to NOW and drop the "Now Network " mantra/slogan completely for something pertaining to the future

I like that. Now Mobile, but it will probably will be Softbank USA.

Sprint, SoftBank & Clearwire = Today

T-Mobile, MetroPCS = Tomorrow

Next = the world

My only worry in the deal is personal... I'd rather not lose the privileges that come with being a customer for almost 15 years.

Seeing how so many benefits going the way of the DoDo, there isn't much difference between a new customer and a 10 -15 year customer.

TS

• Like 1

Guest 503ducati

Make no mistake: If this happens, Softbank is here to go to war with the domestic providers. The US market hasn't had real competition for years... Verizon and AT&T do everything short of outright collusion to get richer and fatter. Softbank will hand them their asses... just watch.

Read Softbanks history and you'll see they rose to number two in Japan because they were incredibly aggressive on price. I have little doubt they're banking (hah!) on that working here too. It will! It would be awesome for the US consumer and could change the whole industry for the much better.

My only worry in the deal is personal... I'd rather not lose the privileges that come with being a customer for almost 15 years.

EDIT: Wow... a timely opinion piece that supports my thesis:

http://www.forbes.co...-to-buy-sprint/

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

He also writes for the tech site BGR 'Boy Genius Report'.

Twospirits, there still are some advantages for the 'greybeards' at Sprint, including some of the grandfathered plans that actually support 4G Service....

uploadfromtaptalk1350014813725.jpg

Sent from Photon Q LTE - Tapatalk

• Like 1

...Make no mistake: If this happens, Softbank is here to go to war with the domestic providers. The US market hasn't had real competition for years... Verizon and AT&T do everything short of outright collusion to get richer and fatter. Softbank will hand them their asses... just watch...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I too believe that if this happens, SoftBank will do anything and everything in it's power to hit the big two anyway they can. I read up on White Plan some time back, and I believe that this buyout(75%) will only positively benefit the U.S. cellular marketplace.

Now the question is how long until they also go after NewCo...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I would prefer it be less than 50%. I do not know how SoftBank runs its company, and would not want them messing up the good thing sprint has started with hesse.

Chad if you read up about SoftBank? In fiscal

Year 2006 they had about 700k subscribers. By the end of 2007 soft bank increased that customer base to 2.7 million. Looks like they are doing something right.

Sent from my Coconut Wireless

I've always believed there's one thing that significantly differentiates between Asian companies and Western companies and that one thing is the fact that Western corporations are more concerned about the "now" instead of the future compared to most Asian ones that look at what they can sacrifice now for the benefit of tomorrow.

Probably biased because I'm asian but I can nearly guarantee you that SoftBank will do everything in its power to shake things up. ATT and Vz are satisfied with the "now" but sprint has a plan (thanks to hesse) and SoftBank are looking at the future like Hesse and see great things and hence why they're doing what they're doing...

I guess its just how we asians tend to be. We're never content with the status quo... (oww don't hit me mom... i only got An A- dammit!)

• Like 7

I've always believed there's one thing that significantly differentiates between Asian companies and Western companies and that one thing is the fact that Western corporations are more concerned about the "now" instead of the future compared to most Asian ones that look at what they can sacrifice now for the benefit of tomorrow.

Probably biased because I'm asian but I can nearly guarantee you that SoftBank will do everything in its power to shake things up. ATT and Vz are satisfied with the "now" but sprint has a plan (thanks to hesse) and SoftBank are looking at the future like Hesse and see great things and hence why they're doing what they're doing...

I guess its just how we asians tend to be. We're never content with the status quo... (oww don't hit me mom... i only got An A- dammit!)

I used to deal in hotel development and I know exactly what you mean. We always looked for Asian and European investment over American investment because of their long term investment focus. American investors expected to double their money in 24 months and generally didn't care about the operations or asset maintenance or protection.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 2

Like "Soft-uh-Bank," Japanese phonetic pronunciation shall now apply to Sprint.

Welcome to "Sprint-uh."

AJ

• Like 1

Guest 503ducati

Like "Soft-uh-Bank," Japanese phonetic pronunciation shall now apply to Sprint.

Welcome to "Sprint-uh."

AJ

Post of the week!

I almost lost it on that one! :rofl:

Sry

Edited by 503ducati

Here are my two cents! :)

-Sprint will most likely keep the "Sprint" name and branding

-If they do change their brand, they should go back to Nextel, and meaning just the name Nextel

Now lets see who totally explodes at my posts and calls me a noob just complaining about sprint service....hahahahahahaha...hahahahaha....ha ha lol jk

I like the idea of this merger, however, I hope that they don't try to convert Sprint's existing CDMA network over to GSM as they already use. Plus I hope they keep Network Vision the same and don't make any serious modifications to it. Ok modifications include speeding up deployment of Network Vision work, and of course, hiring the necessary people to make the work finish faster. But anything too drastic could destroy Sprint in the end, (ie. eliminating unlimited data).

I like the idea of this merger, however, I hope that they don't try to convert Sprint's existing CDMA network over to GSM as they already use. Plus I hope they keep Network Vision the same and don't make any serious modifications to it. Ok modifications include speeding up deployment of Network Vision work, and of course, hiring the necessary people to make the work finish faster. But anything too drastic could destroy Sprint in the end, (ie. eliminating unlimited data).

I dont think getting rid of unlimited data would destroy sprint. Plus i think they would take the model T-mobile has used, and limit speeds rather than what Verizon and ATT do.

I dont think getting rid of unlimited data would destroy sprint. Plus i think they would take the model T-mobile has used, and limit speeds rather than what Verizon and ATT do.

I hope we don't even see that for a long while after Network Vision completes.

Preach it brotha! It makes me think though. I wonder if this will have any effect on the prepaid subsidiaries Boost and Virgin?

Boost and Virgin should see major benefits from this. If Network Vision is completed faster, Sprint could then start offering LTE on prepaid sooner.

That would be awesome. My opinion i see nothing but good things coming out of this deal. I hear alot of people complaining about competition and prices will go up. But I think this will give Sprint a breathe of fresh air into its bronchial tubes....and maybe into its bank account as well....very needed

One name variation could be SprintSoft.

idk about sprintsoft...makes it sound like a software company....im putting my money on the name Nextel, im probably wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I think that name has alot of positive press behind it. Then again i was a youngin when they merged so what do i know. Sprint becoming the new Nextel...for some reason it just sounds like a stronger company :)

<YAY!!!! i have three dots now

One name variation could be SprintSoft.

Other combination names...

SprintBank

NextBank

SoftNext

Softel (not too bad)

And finally,

Spank... :D

• Like 8

Other combination names...

SprintBank

NextBank

SoftNext

Softel (not too bad)

And finally,

Spank... :D

Spank! That's just funny.

Another variation could be SoftSprint. ( I think someone mentioned it earlier in the post, but not sure.)