Sprint LTE Coverage Maps via Sensorly

Question for y'all... Just for the heck of it, I was looking at the WiMAX coverage on Sensorly (Cleveland Ohio metro area), and I was curious about speed tests too. The problem is that I can't find any speed tests in the entire region. Is it even possible to plot a speed test on the WiMAX map, or has nobody run a speed test in forever.

Were you using the mobile app, or the website? No speed tests for any networks appear on the website, and I don't see an option to view a Sprint WiMAX layer in the latest version of the Android mobile app.

-Mike

Were you using the mobile app, or the website? No speed tests for any networks appear on the website, and I don't see an option to view a Sprint WiMAX layer in the latest version of the Android mobile app. -Mike

Hmm, that's strange. I just installed Sensorly on my old Nexus S 4G yesterday and the WiMAX layer is there. And yes, I am using the mobile Android app.

Hmm, that's strange. I just installed Sensorly on my old Nexus S 4G yesterday and the WiMAX layer is there. And yes, I am using the mobile Android app.

My bad.. you're right! I had only looked under "Sprint" and saw a 3G or 4G option; now I see the separate "Sprint WiMAX" with a 4G option. On the previous apps, "Sprint" had 3G/LTE/WiMAX options.

In any case, I can't find any WiMAX speed tests anywhere; I tried looking around Boston, NYC, Chicago, Kansas City, and San Francisco.. plenty of signal mapped out, but zero speed tests. The ability to map those has only been in the app for a few months; perhaps no WiMAX folks have utilized it? Otherwise, you'll have to ask Sensorly. They had someone on here for awhile who was rather helpful, but it doesn't appear that account has logged in since October.

-Mike

Don't get it confused. There is no "choice" involved at all. That tablet was born that way.

Once my Touchpad had few too many drinks and I was able to persuad him to let me stick android in him. Now he hasn't booted webOS in years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

...In any case, I can't find any WiMAX speed tests anywhere; I tried looking around Boston, NYC, Chicago, Kansas City, and San Francisco.. plenty of signal mapped out, but zero speed tests. The ability to map those has only been in the app for a few months; perhaps no WiMAX folks have utilized it? Otherwise, you'll have to ask Sensorly. They had someone on here for awhile who was rather helpful, but it doesn't appear that account has logged in since October. -Mike

Thanks for looking into it. I guess I'll have to make a special trip to find out for myself.

Apparently Sensorly does not plot speed tests on WiMAX. It does seem to execute speed tests on WiMAX just fine. I think the speeds are respectable. It's not LTE, obviously, but it's still much faster than 3G

Screenshot_2014-03-03-19-44-36.png

Anyone know of a way to make a Tasker plugin that would start mapping?

So have a tasker profile that "when connected to car bluetooth + connected to AC (car charger"-->Launch Sensorly and start mapping

Be easier than having to remember to turn it on all the time... /lazy

Anyone know of a way to make a Tasker plugin that would start mapping?

So have a tasker profile that "when connected to car bluetooth + connected to AC (car charger"-->Launch Sensorly and start mapping

Be easier than having to remember to turn it on all the time... /lazy

You shouldn't be mapping all the time anyway.  Mapping extensively before the rollout is complete will just make everything look much worse than it will be by that time.   If you map a 1 bar area near a tower that's not upgraded yet a dozen times, you're gonna have to map it several dozen times once that tower goes live to get the average close to what it will actually be. 

Unless there's a newly live tower in an area, you basically shouldn't map areas that have already been mapped. 

• Like 5

You shouldn't be mapping all the time anyway. Mapping extensively before the rollout is complete will just make everything look much worse than it will be by that time. If you map a 1 bar area near a tower that's not upgraded yet a dozen times, you're gonna have to map it several dozen times once that tower goes live to get the average close to what it will actually be. Unless there's a newly live tower in an area, you basically shouldn't map areas that have already been mapped.

I unfortunately learned the hard way also, but it's ultimately a personal judgement call. LTE is briskly being deployed in my region and I've come across several live LTE sites that had nothing on Sensorly. The deployment maps on this site certainly help, but sometimes it takes weeks, sometimes a month or more, before sites are "officially" approved and updated on the deployment maps. Edited by Joski1624
  • Like 1

I added a few WiMAX speed tests to my area before getting a G2. Did you try adjusting your zoom level? Some levels of zoom don't update as quickly as others after contributing data.

Apparently Sensorly does not plot speed tests on WiMAX. It does seem to execute speed tests on WiMAX just fine. I think the speeds are respectable. It's not LTE, obviously, but it's still much faster than 3G

I can't find any WiMAX speed tests at even the closest zoom levels. This is via the mobile app. I conducted a few WiMAX speed tests in my area (Northeast Ohio), and none of them showed up on the maps :( Perhaps the web version shows them...I'll have to check.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to change what server Sensorly does it's speedtest from?

AFAIK, you cannot change Sensorly speed test servers. It is what it is. Painful and generally inaccurate. Especially on pings.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

AFAIK, you cannot change Sensorly speed test servers. It is what it is. Painful and generally inaccurate. Especially on pings.

Yes, I noticed and is exactly why I was asking.  Thanks for the info.  :-)

I have changed the map embed in the original post, at the request of Sensorly.  They have added the additional functionality from the app into their Full Website browser environment.  I like the changes a lot.   :tu:

Robert

• Like 2

It has been my experience that the pings seem to be the worst on Sensorly speed tests. Comparing down/up speeds with Ookla has shown me comparable results with Sensorly actually being slightly faster in download speed testing.

• Like 1

Joski1624, on 05 Apr 2014 - 9:41 PM, said:

It has been my experience that the pings seem to be the worst on Sensorly speed tests. Comparing down/up speeds with Ookla has shown me comparable results with Sensorly actually being slightly faster in download speed testing.

Nearly every test I do with Sensorly has poor results compared with the Ookla app. Maybe you are located closer to one of Sensorly's few speedtest servers, so you get better results. It does make it hard to make the maps look good, when on Ookla you get a 30+Mbps test, while Sensorly can only pull 12Mbps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah Sensory outdated just over all not all that great I think OpenSignal is allot better. 

http://opensignal.com/

Personally I would disagree. I just checked that link and the site is slower, the data isn't as accurate from what I can see and possibly buggy. I selected NYC and there was this huge big square block between Staten Island and Brooklyn that was not filled in on 4G Sprint. That I know of most in the forums are using Sensorly and a few of our maps are overlayed with Sensory data.

TS

Sensorly refuses to update a map area that previously had weak coverage, but now has great coverage due to a new tower. It's as if it forever uses the data it initially detected in that sector, and can't be overwritten even when a new tower comes online. Is that by design? It stinks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk