Sprint TD-LTE 2500/2600mhz Discussion

I think you still may be missing my point.  I have turned the WiFi off on my hotspot and directly tethering my laptop to my hotspot via USB, so there is no WiFi interface at all.  It's a direct connection.  When I do this with my VZW hotspot, I can sometimes hit 50Mbps at off peak times.  So this should allow me to exceed 35Mbps WiFi max I am hitting, as now my computer is directly connected to the hotspot's radios.

Robert

Like an external modem or NIC card from back in the day LOL

• Like 1

To sum up the issue for everyone reading, we have been unable to establish whether the Netgear tri band hotspot supports two spatial streams under 802.11n.  If not, then it is limited to 72 Mbps minus overhead.  And that would artificially cap its 20 MHz TDD LTE downlink throughput.  USB 2.0 tethering circumvents any Wi-Fi bottlenecks altogether.

AJ

• Like 3

I think you still may be missing my point.  I have turned the WiFi off on my hotspot and directly tethering my laptop to my hotspot via USB, so there is no WiFi interface at all.  It's a direct connection.  When I do this with my VZW hotspot, I can sometimes hit 50Mbps at off peak times.  So this should allow me to exceed 35Mbps WiFi max I am hitting, as now my computer is directly connected to the hotspot's radios.

Robert

I get it now.  I didn't know you could use the hotspot for tethering through the USB.  I thought the USB port was only used for charging.

• Like 1

To sum up the issue for everyone reading, we have been unable to establish whether the Netgear tri band hotspot supports two spatial streams under 802.11n.  If not, then it is limited to 72 Mbps minus overhead.  And that would artificially cap its 20 MHz TDD LTE downlink throughput.  USB 2.0 tethering circumvents any Wi-Fi bottlenecks altogether.

AJ

USB 2.0 has a maximum theoretical thru put of 480Mbps so it should not present a bottle neck

• Like 2

does the zing and mifi500 require special drivers to be installed for usb tethering?

I picked up a tri-fi hotspot (3g/wimax/lte) but it requires special drivers (shows up as cd rom with plugged into usb) which unfortunately won't install on any of my computers.

by contrast, my clearwire hotspot does not use any special drivers, it shows up as an RNDIS/ethernet gadget.

Can you tether a phone to a mifi via USB with an OTG cable?

shouldn't need an OTG cable, just a standard microusb to regular usb cable, the same thing that probably came with the device and every phone in the last few years.

To piggyback on this. I have a WiMax phone and I have noticed that some sites in Austin appear to have higher bandwidth available now than a year ago. Part of that is, of course, due to people moving off WiMax but it is not a consistent change among all the towers here. I am fully expecting Austin to be in the next round of cities that Clearwire LTE is launched in. If only someone in Austin had a Triband hotspot to test. . .

I'll be in Austin with my MiFi hotspot in late September. I'll make sure to test the hell out of it. :)

It's official. I'm heading back to Denver tomorrow afternoon. I booked a room at the Renaissance hotel directly under the fastest TD-LTE 2600 site I encountered.

Robert

Alright, everyone. Let's throw some cash Robert's way via that Sponsorship link. It's the right thing to do!  :tu:

• Like 2

Alright, everyone. Let's throw some cash Robert's way via that Sponsorship link. It's the right thing to do!  :tu:

Good call.  I am on board with my donation...

AJ

• Like 2

does the zing and mifi500 require special drivers to be installed for usb tethering?

I picked up a tri-fi hotspot (3g/wimax/lte) but it requires special drivers (shows up as cd rom with plugged into usb) which unfortunately won't install on any of my computers.

by contrast, my clearwire hotspot does not use any special drivers, it shows up as an RNDIS/ethernet gadget.

It did for me. On my VZW hotspot, it didn't. But it wouldn't work on my Netgear Triband hotspot when it did the auto install when I plugged it in. I had to go to the Netgear website download and install those drivers...and, voila!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Alright, everyone. Let's throw some cash Robert's way via that Sponsorship link. It's the right thing to do! :tu:

Thanks for the donation. I will add it to the "Denver or Bust Fund."

• Like 1

Thanks for the donation. I will add it to the "Denver or Bust Fund."

Hopefully you get to Denver and not "Bust"!

• Like 1

It did for me. On my VZW hotspot, it didn't. But it wouldn't work on my Netgear Triband hotspot when it did the auto install when I plugged it in. I had to go to the Netgear website download and install those drivers...and, voila! 

Ugh, I downloaded the mux drivers from netgear and get the same error; internal error 2738

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23394

edit; this registry edit fixed it

http://helpdesk.illinoisstate.edu/kb/1474/Error_Internal_Error_2738_when_installing_Cisco_VPN_client_on_Windows_Vista_or_Windows_7/

• Like 1

Specifically, where did anyone say that Sprint is hitting every site with TD?

sent via my SIII on Tapatalk 4 beta

They said it days ago in the earning conference call.. 

USB 2.0 has a maximum theoretical thru put of 480Mbps so it should not present a bottle neck

Or 60 mbytes/second max. Robert already hit about 60% of that. Its all just bragging rights anyway I don't think anything really needs even 10 mbytes/second.

Or 60 mbytes/second max. Robert already hit about 60% of that. Its all just bragging rights anyway I don't think anything really needs even 10 mbytes/second.

I can't tell you enough how many times my friends on AT&T and Verizon brag about how their network performs.  Once I get Clearwire LTE, I'll be able to put them in their place by bragging about my speeds AND unlimited data.  HA!

USB 2.0 hits 25 megabytes per second. I worked with getting raw pixel data off of camera sensors - automotive - and that's the max I ever saw sustained.

I will brag too, I just mean its plenty fast. Bragging right do drive customers tho.

I can't tell you enough how many times my friends on AT&T and Verizon brag about how their network performs. Once I get Clearwire LTE, I'll be able to put them in their place by bragging about my speeds AND unlimited data. HA!

Just not in any big buildings or your basement.

USB 2.0 hits 25 megabytes per second. I worked with getting raw pixel data off of camera sensors - automotive - and that's the max I ever saw sustained.

I have gotten 50-60Mbps on USB 2.0 before, no problem tethering my VZW hotspot.  I just hit 34Mbps this morning testing it out.

Robert

• Like 1

I have gotten 50-60Mbps on USB 2.0 before, no problem tethering my VZW hotspot. I just hit 34Mbps this morning testing it out.

Robert

Yes, megaBits, not megaBytes.

25 megabytes/sec * 8 = 200 megabits per sec.

Edited by bluespruce1901