Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

I just saw a new doc that includes Oklahoma. I hope to able to discuss it soon. Need further corroboration.

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

and...... There goes all hope of being in the 2.5 round.

Sprint must really trying to incentivize us to move to another carrier. If it weren't for the family plan I'm locked into I might just move to straight talk (t-mo edition) with an HTC Amaze or an SGSII to get my HSPA+42 on at true unlimited (the t-mo version at least, no throttling huzzah!).

ugh,,,,,, cellular depression, sorry if it appears that I blame S4GRU, I don't. I just want to vent and this is the only place people can understand the frustration. The Sprint community forum just gives me the company line. This place actually can explain and move past that. Thanks

Lord knows I'll never leave Sprint, although I wish I could.

/crack open beer

I throw out a glimmer of hope for Oklahoma and you become despondant. Interesting...

• Like 1

Everything seems to be on track. I bet Sprint will have something more official to say on Wednesday.

I doubt it. Sprint wouldn't want to side-track the HTC train for that day. If anything they may say stuff about the network at another event like CTIA or any other event.

TS

I can't really see them passing up a chance to start talking about LTE and what strides they have made. People need to know the network is going to get better. We take a lot of the info get gain from sites like this for granted. The average joe only knows what Sprint tells him or he/she sees from their phone. If I didn't know about NV I would have split from them by now. Great pricing and unlimited data don't get you far if what you want to use your phone for doesn't work.

I can't really see them passing up a chance to start talking about LTE and what strides they have made. People need to know the network is going to get better. We take a lot of the info get gain from sites like this for granted. The average joe only knows what Sprint tells him or he/she sees from their phone. If I didn't know about NV I would have split from them by now. Great pricing and unlimited data don't get you far if what you want to use your phone for doesn't work.

If they talk about it, it will be of a general nature. Nothing earth shattering or anything you wouldn't already know about. Things like, "And this new HTC device will be running on our new high speed LTE network. The first markets of Atlanta and San Antonio will be live in June."

Anything beyond those type of generalities will be shocking. :imo:

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

If they talk about it, it will be of a general nature. Nothing earth shattering or anything you wouldn't already know about. Things like, "And this new HTC device will be running on our new high speed LTE network. The first markets of Atlanta and San Antonio will be live in June."

Anything beyond those type of generalities will be shocking. :imo:

Robert via NOVO7PALADIN Tablet using Forum Runner

I completely agree with this. A smart keynote will quickly give you the big picture idea and the same details people like us on this forum have known about for months. But I do think they will be talking up the letters LTE a lot over the next few months. They are kinda in a pickle for marketing right now.

They need to tell the world that they are switching to LTE as fast as they can. But without any LTE phones for sale at the moment they dont want to over hype their upcoming products, preventing them from selling the phones they are currently selling. Sprint is not really one to get to deep into the details of anything but I do they they will want to move focus from "4G" to "LTE".

Now after thinking about this maybe they will keep the focus on "4G". This would allow them to still hype their curent phones and wouldn't discredit their upgrades or "new 4G" phones. I think it will be very interesting to see how they market LTE.

• Like 1

Any word on the Dallas upgrade plan? I know it is in the first round of upgrades. There are a few locations where I seem to get > 1MB speeds so I suppose those might be upgraded towers but near my place in Plano I'm lucky if the Speedtest.net test will even complete, let alone break the 100K barrier.

I'm also curious what frequencies Sprint owns in this market - if they have the full iDen spectrum or are limited. I presume they own the PCS G block and the normal range of PCS frequencies.

So Robert, a whole ago you were saying that you have some new info related to the NV rollout in Orange County, CA. Recently, the service hasn't been allowing me to connect to 3G in some parts of the county. Even when I update my prl it will connect to 3G for a second then revert back to the slower network. Any chance this is because they pushed forward the NV here? I know it's a long shot, but I only ask because of what you said earlier.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mikeinva2

Any information on Richmond Virginia? It would seem logical to connect the markets together between Washington DC and the Virginia Beach / Raleigh / Charlotte markets. Just a thought.

Any word on the Dallas upgrade plan? I know it is in the first round of upgrades. There are a few locations where I seem to get > 1MB speeds so I suppose those might be upgraded towers but near my place in Plano I'm lucky if the Speedtest.net test will even complete, let alone break the 100K barrier.

I'm also curious what frequencies Sprint owns in this market - if they have the full iDen spectrum or are limited. I presume they own the PCS G block and the normal range of PCS frequencies.

DFW market deployment is going hot and heavy. I don't have any specifics to report at this time other than our NV Sites complete map that we update a few times per week in the Sponsor section.

So Robert, a whole ago you were saying that you have some new info related to the NV rollout in Orange County, CA. Recently, the service hasn't been allowing me to connect to 3G in some parts of the county. Even when I update my prl it will connect to 3G for a second then revert back to the slower network. Any chance this is because they pushed forward the NV here? I know it's a long shot, but I only ask because of what you said earlier.

I don't see any evidence for that at the moment.

Any information on Richmond Virginia? It would seem logical to connect the markets together between Washington DC and the Virginia Beach / Raleigh / Charlotte markets. Just a thought.

Markets the size of Richmond that have WiMax seem to be specifically selected not to be in the first two rounds of Network Vision. And the people who live in similar sized markets without WiMax are happy for that.

Where markets are geographically make little difference in deployment. For instance, if the crews were leaving Norfolk went to Richmond or Central PA, what's the difference? Only the difference is mileage once when they relocate.

But in reality, these crews will not likely relocate anyway. 90% of NV work is done by subcontractors. And the subs often change from market to market. So this makes the market order even less important from a strategic planning perspective.

In some sense, a lot of Network Vision could be done simulateneously in many more markets. But Sprint doesn't have the manpower resources to manage such an undertaking and doesn't have the cash to pay for so much work in such a short period of time. It would be a disaster!

Basic question. The coverage maps, are they the final coverage when all of NV is complete (800MHz) or will that be the coverage for LTE when the first phase at 1900Mhz rolls out (For example, June in the first markets)?

Basic question. The coverage maps, are they the final coverage when all of NV is complete (800MHz) or will that be the coverage for LTE when the first phase at 1900Mhz rolls out (For example, June in the first markets)?

I'm not clear which coverage maps you are referring to. Sprint will likely only show coverage that is live on their coverage maps, not future coverages. But Sprint is not posting any LTE coverage maps at the moment.

Here at S4GRU, we currently are only showing one LTE coverage map. And that's in Atlanta. And it only shows live LTE coverage on the map. We may consider in the future doing future coverage maps for interest. However, we have our hands pretty full just creating live coverage maps at the moment.

We will post static images of our coverage maps in public areas, however the interactive coverage maps are in our Premier Sponsor area at the moment.

Robert

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm talking about the coverage maps on your site here.. specifically the Atlanta one, but you do have many: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/gallery/image/127-sprint-market-map-atlantaathens/

Where I live there is no 4G (Wimax), but there is very close. This map looks as if I will have 4GLTE where I live. Just wanted to confirm if this coverage is what it will be this June, or after ALL NV is done.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm talking about the coverage maps on your site here.. specifically the Atlanta one, but you do have many: http://s4gru.com/ind...-atlantaathens/

Where I live there is no 4G (Wimax), but there is very close. This map looks as if I will have 4GLTE where I live. Just wanted to confirm if this coverage is what it will be this June, or after ALL NV is done.

Thanks again!

The coverage shown in the referenced Atlanta map is live now. And we will be adding more sites to this map in the next week with even more coverage.

Robert

• Like 2

The coverage shown in the referenced Atlanta map is live now. And we will be adding more sites to this map in the next week with even more coverage.

Robert

Sorry I'm confused. I thought the circles in yellow on all the upcoming markets, like mine in Tampa, are the sites that will be active once nv is complete. Tampa's for example, are the yellow circles ones that will be live once nv is complete, or some of the sites will come online with the rest later?

Sorry I'm confused. I thought the circles in yellow on all the upcoming markets' date=' like mine in Tampa, are the sites that will be active once nv is complete. Tampa's for example, are the yellow circles ones that will be live once nv is complete, or some of the sites will come online with the rest later?[/quote']

Yes. The maps in the market articles are showing all sites. That is correct.

Is it to early in the game or is there a list of places that for SURE won't be getting LTE?

Fireguy, the entire Sprint owned network will be getting LTE. The only area where future NV/LTE deployment is not known is the Swiftel Affiliate operated area in Brookings, South Dakota.

Edit: To expand on that, Sprint has one other affiliate area owned/operated by Shentel in northern Virginia, and parts of Pennsylvania, Maryland and West Virginia. They have committed to deploying Network Vision and LTE.

• Like 2

Just to clarify, Sprint is adding LTE 1900 to 99%+ of all their sites nationwide. The only places they are not is in the handful of places they cannot. Less than 100 sites.

Sprint will be installing LTE 800 later in 2013 at approx. 80% of their sites. There are places they cannot install 800 LTE because they do not have enough spectrum, or other licensing or logistics constraints. Sprint is working with Clearwire to have LTE 2600 starting to go on sites in 2013 as well for additional capacity.

Robert

• Like 2

Just to clarify, Sprint is adding LTE 1900 to 99%+ of all their sites nationwide. The only places they are not is in the handful of places they cannot. Less than 100 sites.

Sprint will be installing LTE 800 later in 2013 at approx. 80% of their sites. There are places they cannot install 800 LTE because they do not have enough spectrum, or other licensing or logistics constraints. Sprint is working with Clearwire to have LTE 2600 starting to go on sites in 2013 as well for additional capacity.

Robert

Why wouldn't they be able to put LTE 1900 on 100 sites?

Why wouldn't they be able to put LTE 1900 on 100 sites?

Can't get backhaul to support it at the site location. Could not negotiate changing the leases with the site owner. Zoning changes that allow grandfathered operations but not new operations. And I am sure there are others. However, it is such a small fraction of sites that will not get LTE 1900 that is almost not worth noting.

Robert

• Like 1