Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

Well' date=' this is my speed from the tower this morning. Maybe AT&T just removed the T1 lines from this site. This is truly pathetic.

[/quote']

Looks like they replaced the T1s with a dial-up modem.

Yes-- all LTE-Advanced does is combine the various bands and channels your phone can use into one data pipe, which is why it WON'T work with Clearwire's 2.5 GHz LTE since that network will have a different subnet, IP & gateway. But on Sprint, if they run say a 5x5 carrier in G block PCS and a 10x10 in A block PCS, the phone could use its single PCS antenna array to combine the two carriers and offer a peak speed of up to 108 mbps. If they ever approve LTE in ESMR and the phone had separate electronics and antenna arrays to work in that band and a baseband that supports inter-band aggregation, then you could combine an ESMR and a PCS LTE carrier in the same way-- as long as your signal held on the PCS channel of course. But the phone would have to be capable of both bands on its own first with hardware (and FCC testing of course).

I have nevear heard this. I've used clearwire's wimax service and Sprint's wimax service off the same tower and they appeared to be running totally different traceroutes/networks (I saw a comcast one as well, and it used comcast's network).

Why wouldn't they be able to do the same thing? It's all IP based, no?

I think there are many more advantages to LTE-Advanced than just aggregation also.

For example, if a customer is outside, in a high-tonnage urban market, they would be on 2.5GHz. As they walk inside, they dynamically shift to 1900MHz. As they walk further indoors, they dynamically shift to 800MHz.

Depending on a bunch of factors (availablity, capacity, cost, etc), Sprint should be able to aggregate and shift customers to various spectrum bands all on the fly with LTE-Advanced, seemlessly.

Am I just not understanding how LTE-Advanced works?

I have nevear heard this. I've used clearwire's wimax service and Sprint's wimax service off the same tower and they appeared to be running totally different traceroutes/networks (I saw a comcast one as well, and it used comcast's network).

Why wouldn't they be able to do the same thing? It's all IP based, no?

I think there are many more advantages to LTE-Advanced than just aggregation also.

For example, if a customer is outside, in a high-tonnage urban market, they would be on 2.5GHz. As they walk inside, they dynamically shift to 1900MHz. As they walk further indoors, they dynamically shift to 800MHz.

Depending on a bunch of factors (availablity, capacity, cost, etc), Sprint should be able to aggregate and shift customers to various spectrum bands all on the fly with LTE-Advanced, seemlessly.

Am I just not understanding how LTE-Advanced works?

If you had a device that would work with Clear's 2.5 GHz LTE and Sprint's LTE, you could still switch back and forth between them -- essentially roaming on Clear's network, but you could never use both networks to provide a greater bandwidth. LTE-Advanced aggregation works like EVDO Rev. B or MC-- it combines numerous carriers using them all simultaneously for greater bandwidth-- but this will not work if the data is coming through two different subnets since your phone can't have a split personality. You'd still be able to use one OR the other but NOT both at the same time-- so aggregation can't work, but their network could augment Sprint's so you could use either one; however, I doubt you'll ever see a tri-band LTE device until it no longer has to support CDMA at all-- the radio electronics and antenna requirements would be too much.

Well, this is my speed from the tower this morning. Maybe AT&T just removed the T1 lines from this site. This is truly pathetic.

156370105.png

That looks like typical performance for the past 2 years there-- sectors 348, 351, 345 are all horrible-- channel 100 is the worst, 75 the best, and 175 somewhere in the middle, but none ever see greater than dial-up speeds. I wonder how well SDC PTT works with that ping? Late at night and early (before 6 am), the pings get down around 500 ms or so on EVDO.

I'm at my office on Coursey and just ran this test at 11:00 am to kick off the lunch hour...

156430199.png

Lte is sweet... though this is the slowest speed I've seen in this part of town to date.

If you had a device that would work with Clear's 2.5 GHz LTE and Sprint's LTE, you could still switch back and forth between them -- essentially roaming on Clear's network, but you could never use both networks to provide a greater bandwidth. LTE-Advanced aggregation works like EVDO Rev. B or MC-- it combines numerous carriers using them all simultaneously for greater bandwidth-- but this will not work if the data is coming through two different subnets since your phone can't have a split personality. You'd still be able to use one OR the other but NOT both at the same time-- so aggregation can't work, but their network could augment Sprint's so you could use either one; however, I doubt you'll ever see a tri-band LTE device until it no longer has to support CDMA at all-- the radio electronics and antenna requirements would be too much.

Yeah, I assumed that if you were on Clearwire's network aggregating Sprint's network wouldn't add much.

Clearwire has talked about aggregating its own bandwith (20MHz + 20MHz for example) which makes sense. Speedwise, nothing on the market should be faster. Doesn't sound like aggregating Sprint spectrum with Clearwire spectrum would add much value (and it doesn't seem possible anyway).

I guess my question is more about the handoffs between Sprint's FD-LTE network and Clearwire's TD-LTE network. The whole point (from what I understand) of LTE-Advanced is the seemless handoff between various spectrums. Maybe I am still not getting it. I am really curious how the hand-off between Sprint and Clearwire will work using LTE-Advanced. eHRPD-Advanced? heh

Yeah, I assumed that if you were on Clearwire's network aggregating Sprint's network wouldn't add much.

Clearwire has talked about aggregating its own bandwith (20MHz + 20MHz for example) which makes sense. Speedwise, nothing on the market should be faster. Doesn't sound like aggregating Sprint spectrum with Clearwire spectrum would add much value (and it doesn't seem possible anyway).

I guess my question is more about the handoffs between Sprint's FD-LTE network and Clearwire's TD-LTE network. The whole point (from what I understand) of LTE-Advanced is the seemless handoff between various spectrums. Maybe I am still not getting it. I am really curious how the hand-off between Sprint and Clearwire will work using LTE-Advanced. eHRPD-Advanced? heh

eHRPD is just the EVDO carrier routed through the eNodeB's IP interface (the LTE gateway and the traditional EVDO HA Gateway are different). The handoff won't be totally "seamless", your handset would change IP addresses between Sprint's and Clearwire's networks in a similar way the WiFi to 3G/4G handoff works today. The gateways and IP networks are totally separate and would have to remain so. It's just to clarify the "aggregation" term everyone keeps using-- by its own definition, that isn't possible between two separate networks, though you could possibly switch between them. It's an "or" versus an "and" situation.

eHRPD is just the EVDO carrier routed through the eNodeB's IP interface (the LTE gateway and the traditional EVDO HA Gateway are different). The handoff won't be totally "seamless", your handset would change IP addresses between Sprint's and Clearwire's networks in a similar way the WiFi to 3G/4G handoff works today. The gateways and IP networks are totally separate and would have to remain so. It's just to clarify the "aggregation" term everyone keeps using-- by its own definition, that isn't possible between two separate networks, though you could possibly switch between them. It's an "or" versus an "and" situation.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I was hoping for a seemless handoff, which after you explained it doesn't seem possible. Sad to hear.

I am curious what sort of speeds Clearwire is going to be able to accomplish with TD-LTE.

Well, this is my speed from the tower this morning. Maybe AT&T just removed the T1 lines from this site. This is truly pathetic.

156370105.png

I just saw the ATT guy running across the street to the Level3 fiber POP with a flash drive containing my packets.

ad870891-02d1-d2ad.jpg

I just saw the ATT guy running across the street to the Level3 fiber POP with a flash drive containing my packets.

I almost spit my coffee through my nose on that one! Holy moly, that's funny! :rofl:

Hey Digi...on CM9, when you are on WiMax, does the signal indicator look exactly like the 3G one above, only with 4G displayed?

Robert

I almost spit my coffee through my nose on that one! Holy moly, that's funny! :rofl:

Hey Digi...on CM9, when you are on WiMax, does the signal indicator look exactly like the 3G one above, only with 4G displayed?

Robert

I don't know, I haven't used 4G since I went to CM9..and I do not go through the 2 areas that have 4G near me, not my cup of tea to go those uhh...areas.

I'll have to see if I can catch a whiff of 4G on my way out of downtown...sometimes I can.

I don't know, I haven't used 4G since I went to CM9..and I do not go through the 2 areas that have 4G near me, not my cup of tea to go those uhh...areas.

I'll have to see if I can catch a whiff of 4G on my way out of downtown...sometimes I can.

I'm just curious because on my ICS, the ICS 3G signal indicator doesn't change to 4G, it creates a new 4G triangle icon that is turned on it's side. So I just was wondering if CM9 keeps it on the same one.

Robert

I'm just curious because on my ICS, the ICS 3G signal indicator doesn't change to 4G, it creates a new 4G triangle icon that is turned on it's side. So I just was wondering if CM9 keeps it on the same one.

Robert

I am betting it changes the icon on the signal indicator. On CM7 I ran the actual signal number and not the stupid bars. When I roamed it put the triangle next to it. When you roam on CM9 and run the actual signal numbers you can't tell if you are roaming or not. You have to have the bars to see the 3G turn to R. And yep, you guessed it, you can't see if you are roaming 1X or 3G. You have to go to the phone status screen to see how you are connected. My biggest beef with CM9.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any more information on the estimated schedule for the Milwaukee market (which is really Southern Wisconsin as it includes Madison as well based on the S4GRU market map)?

And, sorry if this has been mentioned before, but Sprint rolling out NV in the Milwaukee market would really refer to every area covered in the market map (e.g., Madison as well)?

Finally, what exactly do the gray circles mean in the S4GRU market maps? http://s4gru.com/ind...-map-milwaukee/

Great site, thanks!

Edit: Add link to market map

Edited by NateC

Does anyone have any more information on the estimated schedule for the Milwaukee market (which is really Southern Wisconsin as it includes Madison as well based on the S4GRU market map)?

And, sorry if this has been mentioned before, but Sprint rolling out NV in the Milwaukee market would really refer to every area covered in the market map (e.g., Madison as well)?

Finally, what exactly do the gray circles mean in the S4GRU market maps?

Great site, thanks!

All the gray circles are towers that will be upgraded with network vision.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Robert

Snagged a pic for ya...

18fa4d6b-41dc-a05b.jpg

• Like 1

That answers that! Thanks! I like that better.

I think it sucks. You can't see your voice coverage anymore. You can't see whether you are roaming when using number display. You can't see everything you used to at glance. Hell if you go to roaming on 1x in rural towns where you have 4g coverage you would never know you are roaming.

I think it sucks. You can't see your voice coverage anymore. You can't see whether you are roaming when using number display. You can't see everything you used to at glance. Hell if you go to roaming on 1x in rural towns where you have 4g coverage you would never know you are roaming.

The grass is always greener I suppose.

Robert, Roberto, Admin, Hey You! Its all good! But this was posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

The grass is always greener I suppose.

Robert, Roberto, Admin, Hey You! Its all good! But this was posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Hopefully you they make this user configurable in the future.

Maybe getting to Aurora, IL a little earlier than expected? Chicago page on here says its in the June Cluster but Larry over at sprint's forums says they might of started around the 15th of this month there...

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/405402#405402

I am thinking more graphics are needed. Maybe a timeline. Or maybe just color that Market Map you had. Three colors for three rounds (it IS three' date=' right)?

Or do you have this already?[/quote']

Four rounds. And I should consider something a little more illustrative. Although, I may need to delegate this to someone. Any takers?

Ok, So I understand that the timing of the later Network Vision rounds depends on how the earlier rounds go. I am assuming that really the timing of a later round market depends on how the earlier markets of the same vendor went. For instance, if Samsung gets ahead of schedule or fall behind that it will affect later round markets in Samsung areas but will have no effect of the Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent markets. Is that correct? If so is there a map or list of the vendor markets?

Ok, So I understand that the timing of the later Network Vision rounds depends on how the earlier rounds go. I am assuming that really the timing of a later round market depends on how the earlier markets of the same vendor went. For instance, if Samsung gets ahead of schedule or fall behind that it will affect later round markets in Samsung areas but will have no effect of the Ericsson and Alcatel-Lucent markets. Is that correct? If so is there a map or list of the vendor markets?

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/gallery/image/29-network-vision-partner-map/

• Like 1