Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

Well my fault for not reading everything completely. Laziness lol. Ok well in that case it doesn't look like the first round is anywhere near being complete...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

It will take several months to complete many of the markets, as it is not uncommon for a single given market to have over 1000 towers. However, even without all the towers being complete, Network Vision/LTE should be pretty usable across the market. And, Many second round markets are scheduled to start before the first round markets are complete.

It will take several months to complete many of the markets, as it is not uncommon for a single given market to have over 1000 towers. However, even without all the towers being complete, Network Vision/LTE should be pretty usable across the market. And, Many second round markets are scheduled to start before the first round markets are complete.

Thank you Ben! Ok so having said that do they work in the larger cities of a certain market first? For instance the Orlando market... I live more in the central part of Florida. Polk County, 33884 area. Not a huge area in my opinion, but heavily populated. It is in desperate need of some better signal.

• Like 1

I need to change that verbiage. I have since learned more about the deployment since then and that is not completely accurate.

Backhaul is one of the biggest factors in a market start. Sprint has dozens of backhaul contractors working around the country. The backhaul is not being performed by the NV OEM's. But enough needs to be complete before they can get started in any market. This is one of the biggest causes of issues in the SF Bay market.

Almost all of the work in each market is being done by subcontractors hired by each OEM. The OEM acts like a general contractor, managing the work performed by the subcontractors. The OEM also provides the equipment. OEM's have hired many subcontractors. Sometimes a sub will work in several markets for that OEM, sometimes only one.

For the most part, preceding markets do not have a lot of effect on the market starts in the next round. Only if the OEM doesn't have the people to manage the new market because they are tied up handling issues at the previous market. Or in the case of a carry over subcontractor.

I think I will go clear up the language in the NV Running thread.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Thank you Ben! Ok so having said that do they work in the larger cities of a certain market first? For instance the Orlando market... I live more in the central part of Florida. Polk County, 33884 area. Not a huge area in my opinion, but heavily populated. It is in desperate need of some better signal.

Thats a little too specific for me to answer... from what I've seen, the deployment is rather random in some of the markets that have started, IMO. So, I really cannot answer that part with certainty. However, The schedule maps in the premier sponsor area do give dates of when each individual tower is expected to be upgraded.

Thats a little too specific for me to answer... from what I've seen, the deployment is rather random in some of the markets that have started, IMO. So, I really cannot answer that part with certainty. However, The schedule maps in the premier sponsor area do give dates of when each individual tower is expected to be upgraded.

Ok yea I thought it might have been. I appreciate the help though man. I'm already a sponsor. How much of a donation to become a premier sponsor?

Ok yea I thought it might have been. I appreciate the help though man. I'm already a sponsor. How much of a donation to become a premier sponsor?

Once your cumulative total donations reach $100 then you get upgraded to Premier Sponsor and you never lose that level.

• Like 1

NV sites are spaced apart based on 1900 propagation characteristics. Even if Clearwire was on every NV tower, their coverage would look like a bunch of islands covering a city. They would still need to come back in and infill between NV towers.

ClWR's frequencies not suitable for wide-area coverage. Only useful for hot spots to off-load capacity from G-block. Depending upon the commercial arrangement between Sprint and CLWR - let's asume it is a fixed price per site rather than usage-sensitive per GB pricing, then when multi-modality FD/TD-LTE devices are availalbe, they would search for the 2.5ghz freq first in order to off-load traffic from the 1.9ghz band, and if you are not covered by that "hot spot", then you ride the 1.9ghz band that's now presumably less congested based upon the off-load of heavy traffic to 2.5ghz. This architecture will not work if CLWR insists on usage-sensitive pricing because it turns the economics upside-down for Sprint, and it is exactly counter to the strategic capacity advantage that CLWR's "fat pipes" would offer, but CLWR has chosen to pursue dumb paths before, so who knows.

ClWR's frequencies not suitable for wide-area coverage. Only useful for hot spots to off-load capacity from G-block. Depending upon the commercial arrangement between Sprint and CLWR - let's asume it is a fixed price per site rather than usage-sensitive per GB pricing, then when multi-modality FD/TD-LTE devices are availalbe, they would search for the 2.5ghz freq first in order to off-load traffic from the 1.9ghz band, and if you are not covered by that "hot spot", then you ride the 1.9ghz band that's now presumably less congested based upon the off-load of heavy traffic to 2.5ghz. This architecture will not work if CLWR insists on usage-sensitive pricing because it turns the economics upside-down for Sprint, and it is exactly counter to the strategic capacity advantage that CLWR's "fat pipes" would offer, but CLWR has chosen to pursue dumb paths before, so who knows.

Because Sprint will have usage based pricing on CLWR LTE, Sprint will likely not default to CLWR LTE first, but rather last. LTE 1900 first, then shunt users off to LTE 800 when 1900 starts to hit the predetermined congestion point, prior to performance degradation. Then 800 LTE users get shunted off to 2500 (if available) when its lone LTE carrier crosses the performance threshold.

2500 first would make more sense, if it weren't for the usage based pricing from CLWR. However, if Sprint should buy them out as they start deploying LTE, that could make this scenario possible of defaulting to 2500 LTE first.

Robert

• Like 1

Because Sprint will have usage based pricing on CLWR LTE, Sprint will likely not default to CLWR LTE first, but rather last. LTE 1900 first, then shunt users off to LTE 800 when 1900 starts to hit the predetermined congestion point, prior to performance degradation. Then 800 LTE users get shunted off to 2500 (if available) when its lone LTE carrier crosses the performance threshold.

2500 first would make more sense, if it weren't for the usage based pricing from CLWR. However, if Sprint should buy them out as they start deploying LTE, that could make this scenario possible of defaulting to 2500 LTE first.

Robert

Because 2500 first makes a lot more sense, ultimately the placeholder usage-sensitive pricing deal that exists currently will need to change. As we've seen with propagating WiMax to Boost and Virgin, because Sprint now enjoys fixed-cost "owner's economics", CLWR benefits if Sprint actually wants to use the CLWR network (because it will end up creating a longer revenue tail for CLWR) rather than having Sprint view the CLWR network as the bandwidth of last resort.

• Like 1

It always seemed like the Clear deal was a way to sucker other companies into funding WiMax without losing the spectrum licenses due to inability to meet coverage requirements. I agree that Sprint needs to buy them out when they return to profitability.

Part of Sprints problem is that they can't afford to bid on any spectrum that might come up for sale. Altel would have been a perfect buy to expand their network if they weren't hemmoraging money.

Wow, looks like Robert updated the Running List thread to include estimation dates for Chicago and LA of September 2012 without the update articles yet. Appears that those 2 markets will be next for Network Vision update articles. Can't wait to read those.

Also noticed the Second Round markets order has been shifted around where the Florida markets are on the top of the list now and some other markets got pushed up and down. Detroit folks should be pretty happy since they got bumped up from the 19th to the 6th spot while San Diego folks will be sad that they got bumped down from the 11th spot to the 17th spot.

• Like 2

Wow, looks like Robert updated the Running List thread to include estimation dates for Chicago and LA of September 2012 without the update articles yet. Appears that those 2 markets will be next for Network Vision update articles. Can't wait to read those.

Also noticed the Second Round markets order has been shifted around where the Florida markets are on the top of the list now and some other markets got pushed up and down. Detroit folks should be pretty happy since they got bumped up from the 19th to the 6th spot while San Diego folks will be sad that they got bumped down from the 11th spot to the 17th spot.

Nice catch! I find it ironic that Chicago is not even officially listed as an initial LTE market, yet Chicago has the most sites complete.

Wow' date=' looks like Robert updated the Running List thread to include estimation dates for Chicago and LA of September 2012 without the update articles yet. Appears that those 2 markets will be next for Network Vision update articles. Can't wait to read those.

Also noticed the Second Round markets order has been shifted around where the Florida markets are on the top of the list now and some other markets got pushed up and down. Detroit folks should be pretty happy since they got bumped up from the 19th to the 6th spot while San Diego folks will be sad that they got bumped down from the 11th spot to the 17th spot.[/quote']

Yes. The Chicago and LA articles are already written. So I went ahead and updated the NV Running List thread a little early.

You are very observant about some shifting in the 2nd Round order. But don't read too much into it. I did start moving around some markets that were toward the bottom which need to be toward the top. I was trying to do it from memory. So it is not a completed order. It will get better sorted in the coming days and weeks.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Also noticed the Second Round markets order has been shifted around where the Florida markets are on the top of the list now and some other markets got pushed up and down.

This is outstanding news! I'm in the Orlando Market! Hopefully NV will be here soon! Need 3G to work and LTE would be fantastic! Hope this pushes the ORL market up! I would check. But don't have the money to become a premier sponsor. Lol

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Yes. The Chicago and LA articles are already written. So I went ahead and updated the NV Running List thread a little early.

You are very observant about some shifting in the 2nd Round order. But don't read too much into it. I did start moving around some markets that were toward the bottom which need to be toward the top. I was trying to do it from memory. So it is not a completed order. It will get better sorted in the coming days and weeks.

Call me a geek but the reason why I knew about the change in the 2nd round market ordering is because I made a copy of the list of the 2nd round market ordering right after the last 2nd round market was announced back in March or so and I knew Miami was not on the top of the 2nd round list. Then I just analyzed the differences between the 2 lists and noticed all the Florida markets got bumped up to the top.

I'll be interested to see what the updated list order is for the 2nd round markets in the upcoming weeks.

So I noticed that the Running List got updated again today and I noticed more Second Round market changes. I take it that the Second Round market list ordering is now updated with the latest information? I noticed San Diego, New Orleans and PR/VI markets got bumped up pretty high.

• Like 1

So I noticed that the Running List got updated again today and I noticed more Second Round market changes. I take it that the Second Round market list ordering is now updated with the latest information? I noticed San Diego' date=' New Orleans and PR/VI markets got bumped up pretty high.[/quote']

I spent three to four hours doing in depth schedule reviews preparing for more schedule articles. There will be a little more jockeying soon. I'm only half way through the Second Round schedules.

• Like 3

I spent three to four hours doing in depth schedule reviews preparing for more schedule articles. There will be a little more jockeying soon. I'm only half way through the Second Round schedules.

Robert, You're the Man! Thanks for keeping us so up-to-date! This is why your site is so great.

Can you answer me this? Is there any word/hint of those 3rd round markets getting moved into round 2?

Robert' date=' You're the Man! Thanks for keeping us so up-to-date! This is why your site is so great.

Can you answer me this? Is there any word/hint of those 3rd round markets getting moved into round 2?[/quote']

Sorry. No changes there. Third round markets are all finishing up RF design and will start site planning and permitting soon.

• Like 1

Sorry. No changes there. Third round markets are all finishing up RF design and will start site planning and permitting soon.

Cool.. I'm just happy to be "in the know." And that is thanks to S4GRU. So is Dec - Feb still a safe estimate for those markets that "may be moving into round two?"

Cool.. I'm just happy to be "in the know." And that is thanks to S4GRU. So is Dec - Feb still a safe estimate for those markets that "may be moving into round two?"

I don't want to say definitively until I complete this intensive schedule study I'm working on. But if I were using deductive reasoning skills based on what ive seen so far, I'd say yes.

• Like 1

so i was looking at the CT siting council website and T-mobile is trying to replace a guyed lattice tower to a monopine so they can add there antennas to it. as i was reading it i saw nextel was on it but not sprint. sprint could use it but will see when NV comes to town.