Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

Do you know about how much range a single LTE site has? I know it varies based on terrain and such, but Ann Arbor has only 3 or so sites on the sprint website that are slated for upgrades, but there are a lot more towers than that in Ann Arbor...

It is extremely variable from 2 blocks to 7-8 miles, depending on how it is deployed/engineered. They have to engineer cell sizes based on the number of users. The more users, the smaller they make the cell.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Is there any updates with the Bethesda - Frederick - Gaithersberg MD site? I know I can go to Baltimore and get Sprint LTE, also I can get it pretty well in Hagerstown MD too. Just nothing in the middle with Frederick.

• 2 weeks later...

so its almost dec and still no update on Tampa area... im still going with sprint as my provider and leaving ATT for financial reasons i just wish i knew how long in purgatory i would be lol

Unfortunately, the only activity reported over the last few weeks has been in Miami/West Palm and Jacksonville. Hopefully that changes.

An update to the Running List will be posted soon. Here are some tidbits:

• The PR/VI market has about 55% of its sites converted to Network Vision. Most are 3G-only right now, but the count of LTE-enabled sites has doubled since the last update.
  • Network Vision sites have been accepted for the first time in Minnesota.
  • 4G is live on 17% of sites in the Indianapolis market.
  • Network Vision sites are being accepted in most markets that have gotten updates in past weeks. However numbers over the past couple weeks are on the low side, so completion percentages haven't budged much in most markets.

This information is based on more detailed data that is available to S4GRU Sponsors. Donate to S4GRU and you will be able to access the Sponsor-only forums and view this data, for example where work is in progress in West Washington (no sites have been marked as NV complete in that area, however).

• Like 4

I remember reading here that deployment in Phoenix MIGHT start towards the end of the year but I haven't seen any new information. Any updates?

No new news just yet. Phoenix is still expected to start by Spring. It may start as early as December, however don't expect it to. Some markets have started early, and some are behind.

Is there any updates with the Bethesda - Frederick - Gaithersberg MD site? I know I can go to Baltimore and get Sprint LTE, also I can get it pretty well in Hagerstown MD too. Just nothing in the middle with Frederick.

I can't give you specifics about Frederick Md and Gaithersburg but I can't give you an overview. Gaithersburg and part of Frederick is being deployed by the Washington DC Oem (tower guys).

Then the Baltimore Oem guys come west on I 70 and fill in. Frederick is right on the line of the two markets. Evidently Maryland has two switching stations near Hanover which control the Baltimore and Washington markets. Some of Frederick towers have received Ehprd enhancements some have received backhaul enhancements. Other than that nobody seems to have a handle on when they flip the switch.

As a side note Shentel or Hagerstown is a separate Oem and It's not considered Sprint corporate. They have deployed very quickly.

It's a huge task to coordinate

• Like 1

I can't give you specifics about Frederick Md and Gaithersburg but I can't give you an overview. Gaithersburg and part of Frederick is being deployed by the Washington DC Oem (tower guys).

Then the Baltimore Oem guys come west on I 70 and fill in. Frederick is right on the line of the two markets. Evidently Maryland has two switching stations near Hanover which control the Baltimore and Washington markets. Some of Frederick towers have received Ehprd enhancements some have received backhaul enhancements. Other than that nobody seems to have a handle on when they flip the switch.

As a side note Shentel or Hagerstown is a separate Oem and It's not considered Sprint corporate. They have deployed very quickly.

Technically, the same contracted company is handling the tower upgrades in all these areas (even Shentel). Who the sub contractors are is anyone guess. As to when they'll be done, or hit one particular area, also anyone guess! But otherwise, yeah that's a good explanation :tu:

I like the explanation but don't like it either. I guess being the second largest city in Maryland doesn't mean anything. I'm more in the city area and the 3g has gotten worse, like .3 to.6 download speeds. At least its coming at some point.

Dkwx. Thanks I'm really just a guy with a sprint cell phone. Just a casual observer. I was under the impression the maps had different oem guys for different markets. Not that it really matters. It is fun to uncover system. But in reality the guys implementing this network are figuring out as they go.

Frederick has historically been covered much better by Verizon. Sprint has put a good effort in with roaming agreements to fill in. Voice coverage is acceptable. And yes Frederick is the second largest city but the surrounding area is rural. Rockville surrounding population is much bigger. I would focus my efforts there based on population.

Knowing the current Frederick political landscape any adjustments to the towers area would be slow.

As a side note it is interesting to see how some of the towers are placed on county property. Schools, water treatment facilities, etc. Not good or bad just interesting.

I have noticed a large deployment of EVDO/1X RTT on the 800 SMR band in the Chicago IL area. Is there any news for anything like that in the Southwest, such as Southern California? I work in some pretty remote areas and have a CDMA tactical repeater attached to my vehicle for the 800 band and would love to be able to get signal out in Palms Springs, Victorville, and some of the more remote areas where I can only get a Verizon signal.

I have noticed a large deployment of EVDO/1X RTT on the 800 SMR band in the Chicago IL area. Is there any news for anything like that in the Southwest, such as Southern California? I work in some pretty remote areas and have a CDMA tactical repeater attached to my vehicle for the 800 band and would love to be able to get signal out in Palms Springs, Victorville, and some of the more remote areas where I can only get a Verizon signal.

Your repeater won't work for SMR-band CDMA, as it runs outside the 824-869MHz band for which your repeater was designed, more 'n' likely.

As for SMR deployment so far, it's all happening in Chicago (with the exception of the Waco LTE FIT, and maybe one or two other sites). It'll spread eventually, but not quite yet.

Im going to go ahead and guess that, no, they wont be launched in December.

• Like 2

Im going to go ahead and guess that, no, they wont be launched in December.

Unless of course we have a festivus/christmas, (oops did I just divide by zero?), miracle.

Edit: Sorry guys, it looks like I made a small black hole. By my rough calculations, it looks like it will reach critical mass around the 21st of the month.

• Like 1

Unless of course we have a festivus/christmas, (oops did I just divide by zero?), miracle.

Edit: Sorry guys, it looks like I made a small black hole. By my rough calculations, it looks like it will reach critical mass around the 21st of the month.

What will reach critical mass around the 21st of the month?

I'm itching to go make this first purple dot in my area. Might have to go ride to Addis, LA or the Port Allen site on Monday for lunch.

Sent from a little old Note 2

I'm working in New Roads this week, so I'll check em out

Sent from my EVO

I'm working in New Roads this week, so I'll check em out

Sent from my EVO

Which sites are you going to check out?

The New Roads and St Francisville ones would be cool to check out. Not sure if you are taking 61 up and going across the new Hwy 10 bridge or not.

I was gonna check out the 2 that you took pictures of. Maybe I will drive by the site in New Roads as well.

Sent from my EVO

Cool. Let me know how it works out. You never know since the schedule was delayed all changed up. I haven't been able to figure out where they are working at now.