Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

Your repeater won't work for SMR-band CDMA, as it runs outside the 824-869MHz band for which your repeater was designed, more 'n' likely.

As for SMR deployment so far, it's all happening in Chicago (with the exception of the Waco LTE FIT, and maybe one or two other sites). It'll spread eventually, but not quite yet.

Oh I play with some pretty fun toys for a living...... But having that 800 SMR sure would make calling/messaging my better half a hell of a lot easier and keep my ass outta the fryer a lot more often. Even if it is limited to a 1xRTT (IS-200) or hell even cdmaOne (IS-95)

Are there any plans for Toledo ohio? The sprint stores in the area say that they're working on the towers and will be up in a few months, but they've been saying that for almost a year which makes me think its just a ruse to keep customers from leaving. I have not seen toledo or any ohio cities on any lists. Sprint is the only main cell company without 4G here so i'm wondering if there really is any plan for it to be soon for sprint, or should i just go ahead and switch to another service to get 4G? I"ve had a 4G phone for almost 2 and half years anticipating it, but so far i've been paying an extra $10 a month for a service i've not once used.

thank you =)

Are there any plans for Toledo ohio? The sprint stores in the area say that they're working on the towers and will be up in a few months, but they've been saying that for almost a year which makes me think its just a ruse to keep customers from leaving. I have not seen toledo or any ohio cities on any lists. Sprint is the only main cell company without 4G here so i'm wondering if there really is any plan for it to be soon for sprint, or should i just go ahead and switch to another service to get 4G? I"ve had a 4G phone for almost 2 and half years anticipating it, but so far i've been paying an extra $10 a month for a service i've not once used.

thank you =)

Sprint is replacing it's entire network, and plans to be close to done by the end of next year. No city with current Sprint service will be left out. Work will probably start in your area sometime late this winter or near Springtime.

If it's incredibly important to have 4G soon, then switch if you have to. However, once it's up and running, Sprint will have the best, most modern network in the country, and their LTE will not get bogged down as quickly as Verizon's has, or AT&T's will.

Sprint is replacing it's entire network, and plans to be close to done by the end of next year. No city with current Sprint service will be left out. Work will probably start in your area sometime late this winter or near Springtime.

If it's incredibly important to have 4G soon, then switch if you have to. However, once it's up and running, Sprint will have the best, most modern network in the country, and their LTE will not get bogged down as quickly as Verizon's has, or AT&T's will.

thats good to know, i have waited a long time because i believe in sprint's quality and service. AT&T and Verizon have had 4G for about a year now so i've been getting impatient. If that is indeed the case i'll definitely hold out, but in toledo, sprint's 3G even seems to be getting horrible with lots of "network busy" errors during the day, and incredibly bogged down data speeds, i cant even run pandora on 3G anymore.

thanks for the information.

thats good to know, i have waited a long time because i believe in sprint's quality and service. AT&T and Verizon have had 4G for about a year now so i've been getting impatient. If that is indeed the case i'll definitely hold out, but in toledo, sprint's 3G even seems to be getting horrible with lots of "network busy" errors during the day, and incredibly bogged down data speeds, i cant even run pandora on 3G anymore.

thanks for the information.

I hear ya on the 3G network, I don't bother to use it really during the day here. And Springfield's not exactly a big town.... I've used 312MB of data since Nov 1st on the network, but near 4GB on WiFi. However, my family from Kansas City, and since the LTE roll out has had a little time to mature up there, it's fantastic to use. Sprint did stumble when it came to WiMax (Clear really), but the LTE rollout will actually happen. And quickly too, considering they really only got underway this summer, and expect to be nearing completion by the end of next year.

If you have had the same "4G" device the past 2-1/2 years, then you have a WiMax device. You will need a LTE device to be able to use the 4G Sprint will end up deploying in Toledo in 2013.

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

I couldn't use data with my phone in michigan and I kept thinking it was sprint, but ever since I got my gs3 I was proven wrong. I would love to get an idea of when we are getting NV and LTE but ive now come to the conclusion that it will happen when it happens. I'm not holding my breath for anytime soon. Plus I'm currently happy with my 3g service now with the new phone.

Edited by Luuminator

Does anybody know if any sites are being worked on along the I-4 corridor, between Orlando and Tampa?

Active yes in that area. If you look at Sensorly you will see the LTE spots in Orlando. Tampa so far has not seen anything we're still waiting.
  • Like 1

I saw a bunch of trucks and people working on a tower off of I-10 and Cortaro in Tucson, AZ. I have no idea if the tower was owned by sprint and the trucks were unmarked. They were there for a week or so but i don't have a phone that can pick up an LTE signal if there even is one.

I saw a bunch of trucks and people working on a tower off of I-10 and Cortaro in Tucson, AZ. I have no idea if the tower was owned by sprint and the trucks were unmarked. They were there for a week or so but i don't have a phone that can pick up an LTE signal if there even is one.

Any RRUs?

Sent from a little old Note 2

Remote Radio Unit... A box behind the antenna with the transmitters and receivers. When they use a RRU it eliminates the losses from the long cable runs from the antenna to the ground mounted equipment which can be significant.

i know i'll need to get a new phone first, and i will. That just makes paying an extra $10 a month for a 4G phone more annoying (@pyroscott thats $10 a month for having a 4G phone, not for data, at least as it was explained to me when i bought it. They told me i wouldnt have to pay it if i got a 3G capable only smart phone) I pay extra for a 4G phone that i cant even use 4G with in covered areas. But i have no reason to buy a new phone till 4G is available in my area. i figure i might as well wait and then i can get the newest and best of the future, instead of having it now and it being only mediocre when i actually get 4G and can utilize it properly.

• Like 1

i know i'll need to get a new phone first, and i will. That just makes paying an extra $10 a month for a 4G phone more annoying (@pyroscott thats $10 a month for having a 4G phone, not for data, at least as it was explained to me when i bought it. They told me i wouldnt have to pay it if i got a 3G capable only smart phone) I pay extra for a 4G phone that i cant even use 4G with in covered areas. But i have no reason to buy a new phone till 4G is available in my area. i figure i might as well wait and then i can get the newest and best of the future, instead of having it now and it being only mediocre when i actually get 4G and can utilize it properly.

Initially, yes, the $10 was for 4G smartphones, so if you purchased your phone before the change, they would have been right in saying that you would not have paid the $10 fee for a 3G phone. In January 2011, Sprint decided to change that fee to ALL smartphones, (except those who were grandfathered on a 3G smartphone prior to 30 January 2011). If I was to dig up a HTC Hero (or any other 3G smartphone) and activate it, it would require the $10 premium data fee, but if I was still using a HTC Hero, purchased and activated prior to 30 January 2011, I would not be paying the fee.

I also remember seeing some recycled, environmentally friendly, smartphone advertised as being exempt from the $10 premium data fee. Edit: it was the Samsung Replenish http://www.engadget....rge-on-froyo-b/

Sprint's reasoning behind the change... Smartphones use 10 times the data of a feature phone.

A decent description which includes Sprint's press release is here http://bgr.com/2011/...g-january-30th/

My take, Sprint expected the 3G network would hold up fine. With Clearwire providing 4G, the power users and bulk of smartphone users would be on 4G, leaving the 3G network underutilized. Then, in late 2010-early 2011, upon realizing that there was no way Clearwire was going to be able to roll out 4G nationwide, they backtracked, added the charge to all smartphones, put plans into motion to beef up the 3G network and pulled the trigger on Network Vision. We are seeing the network upgrades all over (we used to refer to them as band-aid upgrades) in areas that have not been upgraded to network vision. Ericcson is adding T1s and extra carriers, but it is already too late in many areas as data speeds are crawling. Whether you choose to blame Sprint, Clearwire, or whomever you choose for the current state of the network, it is what it is. Network Vision is going to give the proper upgrade to the entire Sprint footprint, and there are already plans to keep up with increasing demand for data. This website is focused on the upgrade of the network, and not on complaining about the "mistakes" of the past.

• Like 2

i understand the intentions of the site and it wasnt my intention to complain about the mistakes, it started as a quick comment in an earlier post which was taken wrong so I elaborated on what it meant. My original post was about when i could expect 4G in my area and weather or not it was worth it for me to stay with sprint. Sorry if my post made you feel like i was complaining, I wasnt intending to go that route. Anyways, i got the answers i needed, so no need for me to post anymore.

• Like 1

I have a question for those who are connecting to LTE now; how's the signal handoff and throughput?

Even with the EVO LTE’s connection issues, now that the Chicago market is more filled-out, the handoffs (that I’ve seen while using the phone) are seamless and the throughput is like riding a unicorn on LSD. A tower by my house must’ve been accepted yesterday because I noticed some really nice signal strengths. Ran a few speed tests, they were all in the 25-35 Mbps range (8-13 Mbps up, 42-59 ms ping). Still, going to offload to my 20 Mbps Comcast connection while at home. 0:-)

• Like 1

I have a question for those who are connecting to LTE now; how's the signal handoff and throughput?

In my area I get 2-30 mbps down and .2-5 mbps up. Ping is 40-300 ms. Last fall my 200 kbps average dl bumped up to 600 kbps with occasional spikes to 1.4 mbps. My wife got an Iphone 5 a couple of months ago and it gets and holds LTE well. Handoffs are smooth and has not seemed to need to toggle. It will not get LTE at my house though and I've never been able to get Wimax here either (150 yards away but not here). I got a GSIII on Black Friday and was susprised to get a weak LTE signal in my house 2.5-6.5 mbps dl. The signal is not stable. It will go 3G/LTE and back but stays LTE most of the time. I can toggle it to LTE, but generally don't have to. I live in a mildly hilly terrain and yesterday I climbed up on the roof (I know, it's slightly obsessive, but I had to know) and got a stable signal and dl of 7-9 mbps. The den to roof switch changed the RSRP from average -114 to -107.

I know that's a longer answer that you asked for, but I wanted to share my experience with everyone.

• Like 1

In Wichita Falls and Waco, handoffs between LTE sites to other LTE sites were like butter. Smooth. Sometimes LTE to 3G handoffs could be abrupt. Some devices were worse than others. Like the EVO and Viper.

Robert

Even with the EVO LTE’s connection issues, now that the Chicago market is more filled-out, the handoffs (that I’ve seen while using the phone) are seamless and the throughput is like riding a unicorn on LSD. A tower by my house must’ve been accepted yesterday because I noticed some really nice signal strengths. Ran a few speed tests, they were all in the 25-35 Mbps range (8-13 Mbps up, 42-59 ms ping). Still, going to offload to my 20 Mbps Comcast connection while at home. 0:-)

Until you leave the metro area and go to a more spread out normal Sprint network.

That's what I'd like to hear!! My cousin is going to switch from Tmo to Sprint, and I don't want him to get stuck with bad service.

You're not experiencing EVDO or LTE blocks are you? Where your device shows full signal and great RSSI/RSRP, but no throughput.

In my area I get 2-30 mbps down and .2-5 mbps up. Ping is 40-300 ms. Last fall my 200 kbps average dl bumped up to 600 kbps with occasional spikes to 1.4 mbps. My wife got an Iphone 5 a couple of months ago and it gets and holds LTE well. Handoffs are smooth and has not seemed to need to toggle. It will not get LTE at my house though and I've never been able to get Wimax here either (150 yards away but not here). I got a GSIII on Black Friday and was susprised to get a weak LTE signal in my house 2.5-6.5 mbps dl. The signal is not stable. It will go 3G/LTE and back but stays LTE most of the time. I can toggle it to LTE, but generally don't have to. I live in a mildly hilly terrain and yesterday I climbed up on the roof (I know, it's slightly obsessive, but I had to know) and got a stable signal and dl of 7-9 mbps. The den to roof switch changed the RSRP from average -114 to -107.

I know that's a longer answer that you asked for, but I wanted to share my experience with everyone.

Nope, that's great.

As an employee, I like to read about positive experiences with the new network.

• Like 2

Until you leave the metro area and go to a more spread out normal Sprint network.

Oh, believe me, this I know. A friend is looking to get rid of her SIII when she gets her work phone, and she’s keeping it really wrapped-up, so I might take it off her hands in the next week or so. Fortunately, my time is spent mostly in/around the city, with work having the lowest site density of anywhere I frequent. Even at work, however, my signal is pretty consistent in my part of the building.

But, like you said elsewhere, it’s very much a “metro-only phone.”

That's what I'd like to hear!! My cousin is going to switch from Tmo to Sprint, and I don't want him to get stuck with bad service.

You're not experiencing EVDO or LTE blocks are you? Where your device shows full signal and great RSSI/RSRP, but no throughput.

No, I’ve never experienced that. In fact, I’ve never even heard of that. Did I completely glaze over some major issue that people are having?