Comments related to the NV Running List Thread

New Running List numbers will be out soon.

Some highlights:

• Chicago now has 70% of its sites running Network Vision equipment, including sites that are only broadcasting 3G (or 1x in SMR + 3G) right now. Removing 3G-only sites, you've still got over 40% of the market's sites that have, at the very least, LTE turned on. I'm guessing that Sprint will soft-launch Chicago proper very soon.
  • The SF Bay market is now 16% complete. Of those sites, roughly 64% have LTE, and most of that 64% are running both 3G and 4G on Network Vision gear.
  • LA is now over 20% complete. The number of LTE towers as a percentage of the NV complete total ticked up quite a bit this time around.
  • In Ericsson-land, Atlanta is a hairbreadth away from being 40% NV complete. Kansas, Houston, San Antonio and DFW are, respectively, roughly 37%, 36%, 34% and 24% complete. The Austin market, including Waco, now has a bit over 10% of its cell sites broadcasting LTE off of Network Vision equipment.

For detail above and beyond the Running List, donating to S4GRU will get you access to the Sponsor-only forums, including maps of Sprint sites that have been accepted by Sprint as Network Vision complete on 3G, 4G or both, and a breakdown of what sites have been accepted/updated on a week-by-week basis. For example, you can see which sites flipped from 3G-only in LA to 3G+4G.

• Like 1

Love that LA progress

Me too, but there must be something really wrong with my phone. I couldn't get service up the 110 most of the way between the 105 and the 101. :( I'll be back down in the area this Saturday and will try along the 405 and see if my phone picks up anything.

Me too, but there must be something really wrong with my phone. I couldn't get service up the 110 most of the way between the 105 and the 101. :( I'll be back down in the area this Saturday and will try along the 405 and see if my phone picks up anything.

yeah something must be wrong with it because 110 all the way is covered
  • Like 1

Wow, Jacksonville still slated to launch December?! Well, I have hope.

It will likely change in the next week or two, unless some Chicago sized updates start occurring this weekend.

Robert

Wow, Jacksonville still slated to launch December?! Well, I have hope.

The same crew that was assigned Baton Rouge was assigned your area. They took the advance of payment from Ericsson and are on the beach in MX sipping on margaritas never to be heard from again. They send them pictures of tower work to their bosses from pics they snagged off S4GRU so they get paid every month. ;)

Sent from the EVO 4G sometimes-LTE

• Like 2

The same crew that was assigned Baton Rouge was assigned your area. They took the advance of payment from Ericsson and are on the beach in MX sipping on margaritas never to be heard from again. They send them pictures of tower work to their bosses from pics they snagged off S4GRU so they get paid every month. ;)

:rolleyes:

Rofl.

Is this true, we've got the same crew? I'd honestly believe it. They're slacking. lol

EDIT: Just noticed you're in LA. I don't think it's possible, too far away. lol Maybe our crews have the same thought process? :wacko:

Any word on east Michigan???

I'm hoping for the same. Maybe when they finish Chicago the Samsung crew will work their way East...starting w/ Western Mich first? Just a guess but I bet someone knows!.........

The Running List will be getting an update soon. In the mean time, some highlights:

• Sprint's Puerto Rico/Virgin Islands market now has NV equipment powering over 50% of its cell sites. Most of these sites don't have LTE turned on quite yet, but the number of sites with 4G enabled is growing (one in ten NV-complete sites have LTE turned on).
  • On the West Coast, both LA and SF markets are progressing nicely. Both completion percentages overall and the percentage of complete sites that have LTE turned on have ticked up noticeably since last week.
  • Baltimore is now (slightly) over 50% NV complete. The (slight) majority of those towers don't have LTE turned on yet, but the number of 3G-only NV upgraded sites is shrinking week-to-week. The story in Boston is similar, albeit with more 3G-only towers and less of the market complete (36 and change percent).
  • Atlanta is a little over 43% NV complete now. Houston, San Antonio and DFW are, respectively, a little over 38%, 37% and 27% complete. 12% of the Austin market's towers are now running on Network Vision gear.

The Running List is drawn from data that is available to S4GRU Sponsors. If you want more in-depth information about what sites are online where with which technologies (for example, which sites in Baltimore have 4G turned on), sponsorship is the way to get that.

• Like 2

Any idea when Utah will see LTE?

Work will begin in 2013. Exact dates of 2013 markets are not yet established. Stay tuned.

Robert

When will/did we pass the number of WiMax sites/coverage area with LTE? Getting close?

Not something I'm tracking. But I believe there are 14,000 WiMax sites if memory serves. And 2,477 LTE sites as of this moment. But WiMax spacing is much tighter than Sprint LTE. So this really doesn't mean much to try to compare head to head. 14,000 LTE sites will have much more coverage than 14,000 WiMax sites.

Robert

• Like 1

Not something I'm tracking. But I believe there are 14,000 WiMax sites if memory serves. And 2,477 LTE sites as of this moment. But WiMax spacing is much tighter than Sprint LTE. So this really doesn't mean much to try to compare head to head. 14,000 LTE sites will have much more coverage than 14,000 WiMax sites.

Robert

Do you know about how much range a single LTE site has? I know it varies based on terrain and such, but Ann Arbor has only 3 or so sites on the sprint website that are slated for upgrades, but there are a lot more towers than that in Ann Arbor...

Thanks Robert. I wasn't sure how many LTE sites were up. It may have been int he FAQ I didn't look

I thought Wimax was much more limited. I was lucky enough to be in the St Louis area and its why I jumped off AT&T shortly after the EVO 4G Wimax shipped. I had to drive 60 miles to pick one up at radio shack in Illinois.

Do you know about how much range a single LTE site has? I know it varies based on terrain and such, but Ann Arbor has only 3 or so sites on the sprint website that are slated for upgrades, but there are a lot more towers than that in Ann Arbor...

I think Robert has said something like 20% more range but also that there are so many variables you can't really give any straight answer. Sprint has over 38,000 sites and all but maybe 100 are getting a NV upgrade. Odd yours aren't. Are you sure those 3 are not just ones that are getting "bandaid" fixes to help out till the NV upgrade hits the whole area? I don't think the Sprint site shows NV upgrades just bandaid upgrades. Robert will likely improve on/correct my mistakes in a minute or two. That guy is everywhere.

I think Robert has said something like 20% more range but also that there are so many variables you can't really give any straight answer. Sprint has over 38,000 sites and all but maybe 100 are getting a NV upgrade. Odd yours aren't. Robert will likely improve/correct my post in a minute or two. That guy is everywhere.

Well I'm comparing the open signal maps website to sprints website, and my knowledge of how cell networks work is limited. Do they use repeaters to get the signal from the phone back to a main boomer tower or something? Cause if so then what I am seeing could be just fine. I'm just a little confused with the information I have found so far

I just took a look at the Michigan NV sites map in the sponsor area and there are a lot more than 3 for Ann Harbor.

Sorry I can't give more detail. Its may be worth chipping in a few bucks to become a sponsor, you get access to all the good stuff for 6 months. I know I spend way too much time looking over all the maps etc.

I just took a look at the Michigan NV sites map in the sponsor area and there are a lot more than 3 for Ann Harbor.

Sorry I can't give more detail. Its may be worth chipping in a few bucks to become a sponsor, you get access to all the good stuff for 6 months. I know I spend way too much time looking over all the maps etc.

Oh, interesting. Ill have to check that out