SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Hey Mike, with the new Play Store supporting beta testing, will S4GRU members get early access to app upgrades?

LOL trying to force my hand, are you? ;) They just activated that feature for me yesterday; this morning I started setting it up for my small group of beta testers, but until I start playing with it some more, I'm not sure how it works. It looks like access control will be through Google Groups; this means I either have to invite each person individually by e-mail address, or keep it open it to the public. I'd prefer to spend what little free time I have to devote to SignalCheck spent adding more features instead of tackling administrative overhead.

That being said, I have already given some thought as to how to use this to hook up S4GRU Premier Sponsors. S4GRU is probably my biggest userbase, and I'd love to try and 'throw a bone' to those who have helped out this site the most. I'd be most willing to go this route, but I need to figure out the logistics first.

I announce new versions here on S4GRU first, usually immediately after I finish uploading it to Google Play. Also, Pro users get updates a few days in advance of Lite users. I don't want to release updates too often and annoy people, but at the same time, when I have a few useful things ready to go, I update the app. I wish I could say that I have a whole pile of awesome features that I'm holding back from you guys, but I promise, whatever I have working is in the latest release of the app!

-Mike

• Like 5

LOL trying to force my hand, are you? ;)

Not at all :) When I was following I/O on twitter and saw that announcement, you were the first person I thought of with your App.

I was sold on the pro version after playing with the lite version for about a minute. Already wrote a 5 star review on the play store, hopefully it doesn't drain battery but great so far just what I was looking for. Thanks njjdnt for recommending it.

• Like 2

I was sold on the pro version after playing with the lite version for about a minute. Already wrote a 5 star review on the play store, hopefully it doesn't drain battery but great so far just what I was looking for. Thanks njjdnt for recommending it.

Thanks! I have not noticed any extra battery drain myself, and nobody has seemed to mention it. The app doesn't do any heavy lifting behind the scenes. Leaving the screen on (as with any app) would be the only cause for more battery drain usage.

-Mike

• Like 1

Any chance of an option getting the BSID/coordinates and current location automatically plotted in the background using maps?

similar how sensorly has a view overlaying onto maps?

IE, instead of plain static black background, the background becomes maps view with the current BSID coords and current user loc visible, with all the regular diag info displayed over the top of the map.

Does the pro version allow me to see both HEX and 3-digit Serving Cell ID on my Gnex??

Not unless its running a flavor of Android 4.2 that has that functionality. Google put the framework for LTE Cell ID in 4.2, and SignalCheck includes the code to display it. Unfortunately, I haven't found any devices (yet) that use those functions. The app will hide the data if it is invalid.

The free version will show whatever LTE cell information the app is capable of extracting from your device. That code is exactly the same in both versions.

Most (if not all) HTC devices will show you the hex LTE ID thanks to the efforts of lordsutch, a user on here. I'm currently working on getting similar functionality for Samsung devices, but its not fully working yet. It basically involves going in the "back door" so its a lot of trial and error. Once I make useful progress, I will mention it here first!

-Mike

• Like 7

Any chance of an option getting the BSID/coordinates and current location automatically plotted in the background using maps?

similar how sensorly has a view overlaying onto maps?

IE, instead of plain static black background, the background becomes maps view with the current BSID coords and current user loc visible, with all the regular diag info displayed over the top of the map.

Hadn't thought of displaying like that, but I like it.. I will add it to the wishlist. I also hope to expand the mapping component to save previously discovered sites.

Right now all of my efforts are focused on more functionality for Samsung devices, especially LTE IDs. I think that would be very useful for a lot of people during this NV rollout. I'm slowly making progress..

-Mike

• Like 8

I just down loaded the pro version a couple of days ago. As I was playing around with it I looked up all the addresses and with the help of S4GRU I knew right where all the towers I was connecting to were at. Now for my question, how accurate are the coordinates it gives you? I live within 2 miles of a tower and that address never comes up. Also I was having problems with my service yesterday in an area I have never had a problem before so I called Sprint about it. They told me I was connected to the tower 2 miles from me and the app said I was connected to a tower not quite  5 miles away. So who is right? :)

I just down loaded the pro version a couple of days ago. As I was playing around with it I looked up all the addresses and with the help of S4GRU I knew right where all the towers I was connecting to were at. Now for my question, how accurate are the coordinates it gives you? I live within 2 miles of a tower and that address never comes up. Also I was having problems with my service yesterday in an area I have never had a problem before so I called Sprint about it. They told me I was connected to the tower 2 miles from me and the app said I was connected to a tower not quite  5 miles away. So who is right? :)

Elkhart (in the Ft. Wayne/South Bend Market) is a Samsung market, and if it is configured like the Chicago market, each sector squawks the exact location of itself, literally within 20-25 feet.  This is unlike Milwaukee, for example, where sectors squawk offset co-ordinates.  When I map a Chicagoland tower onto a Google satelite map, the location shows up exactly at the base of the tower, at the highest magnification Google will provide.

Keep in mind, however, that these co-ordinates are for the 1X (phone and text) transmitter.  You may be connected to a given 1X cell, but to an entirely different CDMA data cell on a completely different tower, and to yet another LTE data cell on yet a third tower, all at the same time. The only one mapped by Signal Check is the 1X, either 1X-RTT or 1X-800.

Perfectly simple. Isn't it? Of course it is! Anybody with a PhD in cellular telephony could figure it out!

Perfectly simple. Isn't it? Of course it is! Anybody with a PhD in cellular telephony could figure it out!

Long ago, I made my signature file on HowardForums the following...

Ph.W. Philosopher of Wireless

;)

AJ

• Like 3

Elkhart (in the Ft. Wayne/South Bend Market) is a Samsung market, and if it is configured like the Chicago market, each sector squawks the exact location of itself, literally within 20-25 feet.  This is unlike Milwaukee, for example, where sectors squawk offset co-ordinates.  When I map a Chicagoland tower onto a Google satelite map, the location shows up exactly at the base of the tower, at the highest magnification Google will provide.

Keep in mind, however, that these co-ordinates are for the 1X (phone and text) transmitter.  You may be connected to a given 1X cell, but to an entirely different CDMA data cell on a completely different tower, and to yet another LTE data cell on yet a third tower, all at the same time. The only one mapped by Signal Check is the 1X, either 1X-RTT or 1X-800.

While I was talking to sprint, which connection would they look at? I guess I would assume it would be the 1X connection same as the signalcheck app, but I could very easily be wrong I guess!

While I was talking to sprint, which connection would they look at? I guess I would assume it would be the 1X connection same as the signalcheck app, but I could very easily be wrong I guess!

Probably 1X, but that is just a guess in my part. If you have ever watched the app for awhile, you can see that even when you are standing still you might switch between sectors/sites/towers though.. I know at home all of my devices constantly switch between 3-4 nearby sites.

As far as the accuracy of the address, like others said, it depends on where you are.. the latitude/longitude is set by the provider. Sometimes it is the exact location of the site, other times it is offset some distance from the site, and some sites do not broadcast any location information at all. For example, in my area I know that Sprint sites are offset, and Verizon sites do not show any location at all.

The app takes the latitude/longitude being broadcast and geocodes it using a Google server to determine the street address. If its not near a roadway or landmark, it will give a more general location such as the city and state.

-Mike

Probably 1X, but that is just a guess in my part. If you have ever watched the app for awhile, you can see that even when you are standing still you might switch between sectors/sites/towers though.. I know at home all of my devices constantly switch between 3-4 nearby sites.

As far as the accuracy of the address, like others said, it depends on where you are.. the latitude/longitude is set by the provider. Sometimes it is the exact location of the site, other times it is offset some distance from the site, and some sites do not broadcast any location information at all. For example, in my area I know that Sprint sites are offset, and Verizon sites do not show any location at all.

The app takes the latitude/longitude being broadcast and geocodes it using a Google server to determine the street address. If its not near a roadway or landmark, it will give a more general location such as the city and state.

-Mike

From what I have seen at my place it pretty much stays on the same tower, nothing really changes. And so far the addresses it gives me have been about right on. Its just that while I was talking to sprint it said I was connected to a tower almost 5 miles away and sprint said I was connected to a tower not quite 2 miles away.

Long ago, I made my signature file on HowardForums the following...

Ph.W. Philosopher of Wireless

;)

AJ

AJ, I was was specifically thinking of you when I wrote my original post! :D If anyone in this forum can explain this stuff, you are he!

Mike, I did some testing tonight and can confirm that the base station location does not function properly while on a CDMA1X traffic channel.

I ran three tests, driving from cell A to cell B, from cell B to cell C, and from cell C back to cell B.  In all cases, the BSL field remained stuck on the location of the site where the traffic channel originated.  At first, I wondered if this could be an SVDO related limitation, as the site in cell A has not yet been deployed with LTE.  But both of the other sites have long had LTE, and even with SVLTE, the BSL stayed stuck.

The issue may be soft handoff.  I can run some further tests to see if I stayed in soft handoff with the originating site in all cases, as that could help to explain why the BSL did not update.  However, I am certain that my primary active set PN did flip to the second site in each instance, and that PN site location is really what the BSL is designed to display.

So, if it is not possible to fix this, you may want to null out the BSL field while the handset is in traffic state.

AJ

Mike, I just wanted to say thanks for making this app for all the S4GRU members in providing a tool to help us determine our LTE and CDMA signal strength.  I finally decided to buy the Pro version to help support you and your efforts.  Keep up the good work!!  Besides I hated not having the ability to access the preferences.

Too bad your app doesn't support Wimax discovery since I still have a Wimax phone.  Can't upgrade to LTE phone until later on this year.

• Like 1

Thanks! I have not noticed any extra battery drain myself, and nobody has seemed to mention it. The app doesn't do any heavy lifting behind the scenes. Leaving the screen on (as with any app) would be the only cause for more battery drain usage.

-Mike

I haven't noticed any battery drain. I love the real time widget. They have been building out LTE in my area now for a while, I am starting to pick it up in more places. I like having the chime come on when entering 4G. A couple cool options I wrote below,  I'm not sure if they could be added.

1. When LTE drops, a down chimes plays so if you are not looking at your screen you know when the signal dumps. (still have the option to disable/enable it)

2. I use an aux cable (getting a new deck soon with BT) but would be nice if there was an option to disable alerts when either headphones/aux is plugged in or BT is streaming audio. It doesn't cut out my music, but it will play at the same time with the current version.

3. I actually like the chimes (I haven't heard the 800 alert yet) but being able to select system notifications or your own sound files would be cool or add more built in sound effects.

I really like the app & how it works so don't know if those things are even doable but I always like providing feedback. These aren't major issues by any means, would just be cool features.

Keep up the good work!

Mike, I did some testing tonight and can confirm that the base station location does not function properly while on a CDMA1X traffic channel.

I ran three tests, driving from cell A to cell B, from cell B to cell C, and from cell C back to cell B. In all cases, the BSL field remained stuck on the location of the site where the traffic channel originated. At first, I wondered if this could be an SVDO related limitation, as the site in cell A has not yet been deployed with LTE. But both of the other sites have long had LTE, and even with SVLTE, the BSL stayed stuck...

Thanks AJ.. just so I completely understand it, are you saying the BSL gets stuck when data is flowing on 1X, and the phone switches to a different 1X site? And it corrects itself when the data transfer finishes? Not completely sure what "traffic channel" refers to.

Does the BID change at the proper moment, or does that get stuck too?

I do understand that PN is important as well.. still trying to get it in there :)

-Mike

Mike, I just wanted to say thanks for making this app for all the S4GRU members in providing a tool to help us determine our LTE and CDMA signal strength. I finally decided to buy the Pro version to help support you and your efforts. Keep up the good work!! Besides I hated not having the ability to access the preferences.

Too bad your app doesn't support Wimax discovery since I still have a Wimax phone. Can't upgrade to LTE phone until later on this year.

Thanks Eric! I initially considered adding some Wimax features, but it appeared to require proprietary manufacturer-dependent code that would be complicated. Plus, LTE is obviously replacing Wimax and I wanted to spend more time in that stuff. To be honest you are the first person to ask for it too :)

-Mike

1. When LTE drops, a down chimes plays so if you are not looking at your screen you know when the signal dumps. (still have the option to disable/enable it)

Interesting thought! I think that might be do-able.. I will put it on the list.

2. I use an aux cable (getting a new deck soon with BT) but would be nice if there was an option to disable alerts when either headphones/aux is plugged in or BT is streaming audio. It doesn't cut out my music, but it will play at the same time with the current version.

Hmm.. I've never looked into any of the headset/Bluetooth features, so right now I can't say how feasible that is. I can certainly look into it.. worst case scenario, its something to work on after I tackle some of the higher priority items.

3. I actually like the chimes (I haven't heard the 800 alert yet) but being able to select system notifications or your own sound files would be cool or add more built in sound effects.

This has been at the very top of my priority list all along; it has been discussed here several times. There is some sort of Android bug preventing the standard method of implementing this from working correctly in my app.. I am constantly researching this and trying to get it working.

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions.. much appreciated!!

-Mike

• Like 1