SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

latest from the market

Hmm.  I tested numerous times tonight, and could not get it to launch at startup unless it was checked off, even with a fresh install.

Try going into Settings -> Apps -> SignalCheck Pro, and click "Clear data", then go back into the app and uncheck it from the Preferences screen.

If anyone else is having the app start up at boot, but you have the setting disabled, please holler!

-Mike

SignalCheck Pro version 3.14 has been released on Google Play! It should be available within the hour here. This version is mostly just bugfixes and minor tweaks, and will likely be the last version to support Android 2.1. The new ringtone selector will require some features from Android 2.2+, and is not ready for the public yet. It's almost done, but still in beta testing for now.

Here is a summary of the changes in this version:

Resolved issue with Sprint 800MHz SMR alerts not working. (Pro)
I broke this in a recent release when trying to fix simultaneous LTE and 800 alerts. It should be fixed, but this is one area that I would appreciate feedback on, since 800 service is still relatively rare.

Resolved issue with Reset Data Connection button displaying at the top of the screen on GSM devices. (Pro)
Us Sprint users wouldn't have noticed this, but AT&T, T-Mobile, and European folks did.

Resolved issue with upgrade banner display blocking info on small screens. (Lite)
This only affects people with small screens running the free version; the upgrade banner blocked the bottom of the screen. It now fits at the bottom of the window, and will scroll down if necessary.

Resolved issue with SID/NID/BID/BSL fields not updating while on a telephone call; these fields are not updated by the system during an active call. Fields will now be hidden during calls to prevent display of invalid data.
This bug was discovered by WiWavelength (thanks AJ!). Apparently most (if not all?) Android devices do not update this information during an active telephone call, so if you are on the phone and still feel the need to stare at your signal information, you will see these fields are gone. As soon as the call is disconnected, they will update and magically reappear.

Adjusted alerts to reduce occurrences of sounds "stuttering" or quickly playing several times in a row. (Pro)
Due to the way devices connect to the network, there were times when you might have heard a few alerts at once, overlapping or stuttering, especially when reacquiring a lost signal or coming out of airplane mode. The code has been improved to prevent most of these occurrences.

Adjusted layout to prevent scrollbar on 4" screens in most circumstances.
Not a big deal, but the little things bother me. It only required shifting things by a few pixels, and I guarantee that none of you would have noticed if I didn't point it out here.

Added error display and help screen to notify user when BSL geocoding is failing. (Pro)
A documented Android bug causes problem with the geocoding functions; for no apparent reason at all, it will suddenly stop working, and only a full restart of the device resolves the problem. If you have seen the "Locating..." message stay on your screen for awhile, you might have experienced this. A clickable error message will now appear if there is no response from the server after several tries. Clicking on the error will explain the possible causes for the problem. No matter what, the app will continue trying to reach the server, in case it is a network problem.

SignalCheck Lite (the free version) has not been updated yet, but will be available by the end of the weekend.

Comments/bugs/suggestions/etc are welcomed as always, and feel free to post a review on Google Play if you are inclined to do that sort of thing! Many of you have already done so, and I sincerely appreciate it.

-Mike

• Like 8

The good news: The 1x800 notification works. The bad news: After a few seconds on my GS3, a "Waiting for Data" notification pops up, then the app stops. But I really like the 1x800 tone . . .

Oh, and the other bad news: Sorry that the Bruins are doomed.

On my note 2 it is doing the same thing and I tracked it down to something in the 1xrtt status notification. I uninstalled and installed it again twice and it all led to that, working fine if I don't have 1xrtt displayed in notification. Also sent in a report also.

• Like 1

On my note 2 it is doing the same thing and I tracked it down to something in the 1xrtt status notification. I uninstalled and installed it again twice and it all led to that, working fine if I don't have 1xrtt displayed in notification. Also sent in a report also.

Yup, verified that by re-installing and not turning on 1x status notification in menu bar: App then works just fine, including 800 tone. Thanks to kc4icg.

I do not have the the 1x status bar icon enable.  When I click Reset Data Connection, I get the unfortunately Signal Check Pro has stopped working message. The app doesn't actually stop, the message just flashes.

I dont know what happened, and I cant report the issue, but, as soon as the application updated, it installed, my phone flashed, then rebooted, and now freezes at the point where the app launches on startup.  I think I am going to have to reset the thing.

You might have something significantly wrong here.  I am on a GS3, I am rooted, but rooted stock.  Otherwise, no changes/enhancements. I cant even get past my unlock screen before it reboots.

Maybe it was just shit luck that your app update sent my phone over the top or something.  I went into recovery and fixed permissions and wiped dalvik and now I see to be ok, at least I am not in a reboot loop.

Edit...nevermind, I am still screwed.  I was able to get logged into the device, but when your app went to launch, device locked, rebooted.  I cant even report the issue on google play because it locks and reboots.

double edit - i got far enough to manually uninstall the application, and now my phone is fine.  no issue at all.  If I had to venture a guess where to look, it appeared once the phone got wifi on boot up, it froze.  uninstalling your application fixed it, and I had never had this issue until this update installed automatically today.

Uh oh! I didn't have any issues like this on my devices, and I've been running this new version for awhile. Taking down the update right now and I will see what is going on. Sorry!

-Mike

I feel you have no need to feel sorry Mike. You have a huge group of supporters that are not upset with you we just let you know when something happens and the steps we have taken.

Doug

Ps if some of this doesn't make sense I am sorry I took my meds a little while ago and I do get a little loopy

• Like 7

It was a two-letter typo in the 1X notification code that caused all the problems!  Version 3.15 has been uploaded to Google Play already, it usually takes 10-60 minutes to become available.

For the next couple of hours, do not update unless you know you are getting 3.15.  If you have already updated to 3.14, keep 1X notifications disabled and you should be ok.

Sorry for the trouble, especially for those of you who had serious issues this morning!

-Mike

• Like 1

Uh oh! I didn't have any issues like this on my devices, and I've been running this new version for awhile. Taking down the update right now and I will see what is going on. Sorry!-Mike

No need for sorry. You've done an amazing job with this thing, and like all software, there are occasional hiccups. No doubt you'll solve the problem!

• Like 4

It was a two-letter typo in the 1X notification code that caused all the problems!  Version 3.15 has been uploaded to Google Play already, it usually takes 10-60 minutes to become available.

For the next couple of hours, do not update unless you know you are getting 3.15.  If you have already updated to 3.14, keep 1X notifications disabled and you should be ok.

Sorry for the trouble, especially for those of you who had serious issues this morning!

-Mike

Mike you made a great app and you do something most software developers refuse or don't do. You listen to your users, take their suggestions and try in some way to put it in the app. I standup and clap for you with my drugged up broken body.

Again keep up the excellent work sir

Doug

• Like 2

The good news: The 1x800 notification works. The bad news: After a few seconds on my GS3, a "Waiting for Data" notification pops up, then the app stops. But I really like the 1x800 tone . . .

Oh, and the other bad news: Sorry that the Bruins are doomed.

You got the special "Chicago" version of my app.  Don't update to 3.15, yours is supposed to blow up your phone  :P

Heck of a game the other night, but don't get too excited.  We were down 0-2 to Vancouver in the 2011 Finals and it was no big deal.. and down by 3 goals with 10:00 left in Game 7 against Toronto this year and it was no big deal.. and unlike the Hawks, we can win playoff games on the road!

-Mike

I feel you have no need to feel sorry Mike. You have a huge group of supporters that are not upset with you we just let you know when something happens and the steps we have taken.

Doug

Ps if some of this doesn't make sense I am sorry I took my meds a little while ago and I do get a little loopy

A simple like wouldn't do on this post.. 100% agree. Job well done!

• Like 8

You got the special "Chicago" version of my app.  Don't update to 3.15, yours is supposed to blow up your phone  :P

Heck of a game the other night, but don't get too excited.  We were down 0-2 to Vancouver in the 2011 Finals and it was no big deal.. and down by 3 goals with 10:00 left in Game 7 against Toronto this year and it was no big deal.. and unlike the Hawks, we can win playoff games on the road!

-Mike

As long as 3.15 sounds the new 800 notification tone when it blows up my phone, it will die happy!

[Actually, and don't let this get out, or I will be chased out of Chicago, I am kind of a secret Bruins fan.  Many years ago, when I lived in SE Michigan, we could get "Hockey Night in Canada" from CBC-TV in Windsor.  This was back in the Bobby Orr days, and one of my neighbors was a rabid Bruins fan from Fitchburg, MA, and he got me watching hockey.  When I moved back to Chicago, Bill Wirtz was in the process of destroying the Black Hawks, and would allow NO local TV coverage at all, so I never really got into BH fandom.  Either way, it's gonna be a hell of a Stanley Cup!]

• Like 1

No worries on breaking it or my phone!!  Happy I could find it before you upset people that could be upset by it!  I work software development, so I know it happens.  Really, not a problem at all.  Happy you ironed it out! 

Great work!

• Like 1

No worries on breaking it or my phone!!  Happy I could find it before you upset people that could be upset by it!  I work software development, so I know it happens.  Really, not a problem at all.  Happy you ironed it out! 

Great work!

Hey, you should have seen my eyes pop out when I read your post.. I don't like feeling responsible for almost bricking someone's phone!  I'm glad you were able to get it back online.. and whatever four-letter words were directed towards me in the meantime were well deserved.  I don't normally use the 1X notification icon, so I forgot to test it.  Funny how two letters buried in thousands of lines of code can wreak so much havoc..  :ninja:

Seriously, to all of you, I'm humbled by your kind words and support.. the S4GRU crowd has been awesome from the beginning.  I never thought this app would get so popular, but I'm so glad that others find it useful.  The free version now has over 6,000 total installs, and is growing at 100+ per day and climbing, which I think is amazing.  Good stuff!

-Mike

• Like 2

. . .   I never thought this app would get so popular, but I'm so glad that others find it useful.  The free version now has over 6,000 total installs, and is growing at 100+ per day and climbing, which I think is amazing.  Good stuff!

-Mike

Hopefully, some people are also plunking down for the Pro version.  At a buck 99, it is a steal.  The Reset feature alone is worth a fortune! :tu:

• Like 1

I tell people about the app all the time. Having both numbers are awesome.

I know I am dreaming as the Samsung stuff has been difficult, it would be awesome for to have the EVDO PN or LTE serving cell on my status bar depending on the connection. I would easily pay $50 to that.

• Like 6