SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Mike, I have a cool feature that I think would be easy to implement.  I have a list of SIDs that is in a CSV format, along with a list of EVDO subnets for the HTC sector ID folks.  You could put that info on the screen so people could see what carrier they were roaming on, etc.  You'd probably want to do some sort of SQLite DB or something on the phone instead of text for speed but you get the idea.

The only downside would be to update the SIDs over time if they change hands.

• Like 3

cool idea.

re: updates, you could store the data in xml and have the app pull it from a website every month or whatever appropriate.

• Like 1

Mike, I have a cool feature that I think would be easy to implement.  I have a list of SIDs that is in a CSV format, along with a list of EVDO subnets for the HTC sector ID folks.  You could put that info on the screen so people could see what carrier they were roaming on, etc.  You'd probably want to do some sort of SQLite DB or something on the phone instead of text for speed but you get the idea.

If this was done, I could uninstall NetMonitor and never use it again.  This is the last feature that NetMonitor has that I still use.  :tu:

Robert

• Like 2

Mike, I have a cool feature that I think would be easy to implement. I have a list of SIDs that is in a CSV format, along with a list of EVDO subnets for the HTC sector ID folks. You could put that info on the screen so people could see what carrier they were roaming on, etc. You'd probably want to do some sort of SQLite DB or something on the phone instead of text for speed but you get the idea.

This has been on my list for awhile! I wanted it for myself, but I don't recall anyone else asking for it til now. I sefishly hardcoded the Verizon Wireless SID for my area several versions ago; some users around Boston may have noticed this. I did plan to implement a full list using a SQLite DB for performance reasons.. along with whatever site logging method I come up with.

How frequently do the SIDs change? Is there a publicly-accessible site that logs changes or provides current lists? I have a list that I found myself, but I have no idea how old it is. Yours might be more accurate if you want to send it to me.

Now that I know others are interested, I will make it a higher priority.

-Mike

• Like 2

First off Love the App... purchased full version... definitelly cool...

Can it be possible to add a notification tone for when LTE is dropped? Say when it drops down to eHRPD or EV-DO ? While driving I kinda like to keep my eyes on the road.

Thanks Alex! Someone else recently asked for that same feature, and I put it on my list. I have started working on it, but it is not ready to be included in a release quite yet. It will likely be an option in the Preferences menu; when I get it working, I will certainly mention it here.

-Mike

Is anyone running the latest Lite version (3.15L) having problems? I haven't seen any crash reports, but just saw two reviews that said the latest update broke it. One user said he was on a S4, the other did not specify.

-Mike

Is anyone running the latest Lite version (3.15L) having problems? I haven't seen any crash reports, but just saw two reviews that said the latest update broke it. One user said he was on a S4, the other did not specify.

-Mike

No issues with s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

Wondering if its only on GSM devices.. only one person has sent me actual details, and they were on T-Mobile. Anyone here with AT&T, T-Mobile, or a other GSM device that they could try Lite for me?

-Mike

This has been on my list for awhile! I wanted it for myself, but I don't recall anyone else asking for it til now. I sefishly hardcoded the Verizon Wireless SID for my area several versions ago; some users around Boston may have noticed this. I did plan to implement a full list using a SQLite DB for performance reasons.. along with whatever site logging method I come up with.

How frequently do the SIDs change? Is there a publicly-accessible site that logs changes or provides current lists? I have a list that I found myself, but I have no idea how old it is. Yours might be more accurate if you want to send it to me.

Now that I know others are interested, I will make it a higher priority.

-Mike

The SIDs would only change based on buyouts really.  Like Verizon buying Alltel type thing or other small regional carriers.  I can send you a list I pulled and cleaned up somewhat a while back that I use for translations my PRL diff app.  It still needs a bit of cleaning though but I'm not 100% sure on some of these carriers.  I'll see if I can clean it up within the next week, I'll ping AJ on the ones that I have doubts on since he has that Cellpedia roaming around in his brain...

• Like 1

some more questions/requests

we know that devices scan for lte at whatever interval its programmed for;

- is there a way to display the configured interval?

- is there a way for the app to let us edit the interval?

-- what I imagine is a quick/easy slider to adjust the lte scan interval on the fly, so when we are actively seeking lte we can set the interval low, and when we want to save battery, we can slide the interval out to maximum. or perhaps a simple min/max/default scan timer toggle.

- is there a way for the app to indicate when an actual lte scan is happening? (idle/scan/connecting/connected/etc)

-- is there a way to initiate an lte scan without doing  a data reset?

I understand some or all of the above may be extremely device dependent, but would be cool additions to the toolkit.

Here is a request I was thinking of. Maybe have a button that would automatically toggle airplane mode within the app. For all us lte hunters.

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 4

Here is a request I was thinking of. Maybe have a button that would automatically toggle airplane mode within the app. For all us lte hunters.

Sent from my Android HP Touchpad using Tapatalk 4

there is already a reset data connection (paid version at least) 

• Like 3

Another idea;

a button to save a screenshot, would be useful at least until if/when logging becomes available.

Yeah I know how to take screenshot via android, but that often requires more coordination than driving permits.

we know that devices scan for lte at whatever interval its programmed for;

- is there a way to display the configured interval?

- is there a way for the app to let us edit the interval?

All of the LTE scanning-type information is device-specific, and any access to those features is not available to third-party developers.  Most low-level radio functionality is inaccessible to developers for security reasons.. probably because messing with the wrong setting can brick a device.

- is there a way for the app to indicate when an actual lte scan is happening? (idle/scan/connecting/connected/etc)

-- is there a way to initiate an lte scan without doing  a data reset?

As far as I know, there is no method to determine an LTE scan is happening. The function probably varies quite a bit between devices and/or chipsets. The only way I have found to force a re-scan is if the connection is completely lost by either signal degradation or toggling airplane mode.

I see someone already answered this, yes the "Reset Data Connection" feature is already in there.. thanks gr8nuguy!

Ha I never knew what that was for. Thanks! A button in all that black space would be nice too. One less tap.

Another one already in there.. if you have the Pro version, you can display the Reset Data Connection button in "all that black space" -- just go into Preferences and enable that option!

Another idea;

a button to save a screenshot, would be useful at least until if/when logging becomes available.

Yeah I know how to take screenshot via android, but that often requires more coordination than driving permits.

Unfortunately, this is also unavailable. Third-party developers have no access to the screenshot trigger. It has been covered many times in developer forums; it's a security thing.

-Mike

• Like 2

Wow I'm slow. Never realized you can put a button on screen. Thanks! Can it clean my room too?

Yep.. but I'm not telling you where that button is.. you're going to have to find it on your own! ;)

FYI there is a widget as well.. I'm learning that a lot of people aren't aware of it. It's a useful alternative to the regular app icon if you keep it on a home screen. It's the same 1x1 size as a regular icon, but shows realtime info if you have the app running. It shuts down if you exit the program, for those of you who don't like extra processes in the background.

-Mike

Wow I'm slow. Never realized you can put a button on screen. Thanks! Can it clean my room too?

Yep.. but I'm not telling you where that button is.. you're going to have to find it on your own! ;)

FYI there is a widget as well.. I'm learning that a lot of people aren't aware of it. It's a useful alternative to the regular app icon if you keep it on a home screen. It's the same 1x1 size as a regular icon, but shows realtime info if you have the app running. It shuts down if you exit the program, for those of you who don't like extra processes in the background.

-Mike

Nice. I have used the widget. I like the different colors. Wondering if you could do the option for different colors for the signal bars up top. Like Bars (or numbers) turn purple for lte (green for 3g) or something like that. It would be easier to see 4g.

I currently use signalcheck pro and an app called network monitor. Network monitor has an icon up top that changes color when I have 4g. Makes it much easier to see. Especially when hunting.

Posted Image

• Like 1

Nice. I have used the widget. I like the different colors. Wondering if you could do the option for different colors for the signal bars up top. Like Bars (or numbers) turn purple for lte (green for 3g) or something like that. It would be easier to see 4g.

I currently use signalcheck pro and an app called network monitor. Network monitor has an icon up top that changes color when I have 4g. Makes it much easier to see. Especially when hunting.

I hear what you are saying, but the Android developer style guidelines require that notification bar icons be entirely white. I know many other apps use colors, but I've been trying to hold onto the spec. That being said, I am working on an option to let the user change the icon color to whatever they desire (to match themes, etc.); once I get that working, perhaps I will revisit adding an option to colorize the icons based on network technology.

-Mike

• Like 1

I hear what you are saying, but the Android developer style guidelines require that notification bar icons be entirely white. I know many other apps use colors, but I've been trying to hold onto the spec. That being said, I am working on an option to let the user change the icon color to whatever they desire (to match themes, etc.); once I get that working, perhaps I will revisit adding an option to colorize the icons based on network technology.

-Mike

Fair enough. I understand the clean white guidelines. They are great. But the choice is even nicer. :)

The nice thing about the network monitor icon that I have is that it outlines the color in white and lettering is white too. So it still keeps with the white theme. Still looks clean. Notice how the accu weather alert icon looks awful in red. I had to uninstall it cause no way to turn off the red during advisories.

Thanks again for listening to our feedback. Love this thing.

Hey Mike,

Great work on the app. I have been using it for a while and purchased the pro version. I have the widget on the main screen and was wondering if the background could be made black, or user selectable? My background for the screen is black and the grey unused part of the widget sticks out a little bit. 

I would also like to say thanks for listening to the comments and replying!

Thanks,

Salman

What about displaying the *device* coordinates near the LTE signal info, so at least we can cross reference the location a screen shot was taken vs the signal strength and SCID's displayed?

Great work on the app. I have been using it for a while and purchased the pro version. I have the widget on the main screen and was wondering if the background could be made black, or user selectable? My background for the screen is black and the grey unused part of the widget sticks out a little bit.

I would also like to say thanks for listening to the comments and replying!

Thanks! I think I know what you mean, but can you take a screenshot and show me what grey part you are referring to?

-Mike