SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

2 hours ago, mdob07 said:

There are a couple of ways to determine the channel size, though none of them are as easy as opening the engineering screen. The first is to check the FCC licenses for your area for Verizon. 2nd is if another carrier you use has adjacent licenses, for example here I knew Verizon had a AWS carrier centered at 1725/2125. I also have AT&T which happens to have a 10x10 AWS carrier centered at 1715/2115. That puts Verizon's carrier as 10x10 also. 3rd process I use is I have an old rooted nexus 6 running NSG. Since the phone is rooted NSG call pull loads more info from the modem than my S9 plus. None of these methods are a direct replacement for the engineering screen and all require a little work, but anyone of these three can get you what you want.

I have the hardest time finding anything I need on the FCC website.  I guess I just don't know exactly what to look up or where.  Thanks for the advice. 

Is there any way to see QCI (LTE  QoS Class Identifier) ?
Thanks
You'll need root and Network Signal Guru (NSG) for that. I don't believe that information is available via the Android API, and you'll have to interface directly with the modem's engineering interface to get it. NSG is one option, or if you can find carrier grade analysis software for Windows (TEMS, Actix, etc), then you don't need root and can plug your phone into your computer to retrieve modem engineering data.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ingenium said:

You'll need root and Network Signal Guru (NSG) for that. I don't believe that information is available via the Android API, and you'll have to interface directly with the modem's engineering interface to get it. NSG is one option, or if you can find carrier grade analysis software for Windows (TEMS, Actix, etc), then you don't need root and can plug your phone into your computer to retrieve modem engineering data.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you very much for the information!

Not sure if this is a SignalCheck issue, a device issue (LG V30+), or a Sprint issue but the reported TA for Sprint B41 is not remotely accurate at low numbers. I drove by and up to a tower, parked underneath it etc. and the TA value never dropped below 3. It seems somewhere <4 or <5, the values are highly incorrect. On the other hand, if I used the estimated distances from farther away (TA of 7 or more) then the two circles almost overlap perfectly for the tower.

B25 is just fine, it behaves exactly as expected, dropping to zero when I was right by a tower. 

Edited by PedroDaGr8
  • Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 9:19 AM, mattp said:

how do we use the app i did not see much info on it  at all when i was using it 

I know there is not much documentation (one of my biggest peeves at the moment, but I try to devote my time to improving the app in ways that impact the most users -- fixing bugs and adding features), but really you just launch the app and see your signal info. What you want to do with that data from that point is kind of up to you. There are many settings under the Preferences menu that you can customize, but the default configuration should show you a lot of information. Feel free to shoot me an e-mail (support [at] bluelinepc [dot] com) if you'd like more specifics.

1 hour ago, PedroDaGr8 said:

Not sure if this is a SignalCheck issue, a device issue (LG V30+), or a Sprint issue but the reported TA for Sprint B41 is not remotely accurate at low numbers. I drove by and up to a tower, parked underneath it etc. and the TA value never dropped below 3. It seems somewhere <4 or <5, the values are highly incorrect. On the other hand, if I used the estimated distances from farther away (TA of 7 or more) then the two circles almost overlap perfectly for the tower.

B25 is just fine, it behaves exactly as expected, dropping to zero when I was right by a tower. 

TA support varies by device. Band 41 seems to be most accurate across the board; some devices require a correction factor applied when on certain bands (B25 & B26 at least). Perhaps it's not dropping below 3 because you were under the shadow of that site, similar to how you typically see strongest signal strengths a short distance away from a site due to antenna tilt, etc?

I don't know a lot about the science behind TA; SCP simply reports the value the OS is reporting--with the only exception being if you enabled the correction factor option (then it doubles the given value, except on B41). The distance values are based on published formulas and converted to meters or feet (or miles in the latest version).

-Mike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

TA support varies by device. Band 41 seems to be most accurate across the board; some devices require a correction factor applied when on certain bands (B25 & B26 at least). Perhaps it's not dropping below 3 because you were under the shadow of that site, similar to how you typically see strongest signal strengths a short distance away from a site due to antenna tilt, etc?

I don't know a lot about the science behind TA; SCP simply reports the value the OS is reporting--with the only exception being if you enabled the correction factor option (then it doubles the given value, except on B41). The distance values are based on published formulas and converted to meters or feet (or miles in the latest version).

-Mike

I figured it wasn't an app issue, either way, I will test today near the tower that I used to test the B25 values. I was only able to test it yesterday on B25 because there was a period where it seemed that B41 wasn't broadcasting.

Either way, even the values at 4 and 5 are not really accurate either. So it could be my device more than anything else.

• Like 1

A new SignalCheck Pro release is rolling out today on Google Play! Version 4.54 is not a major update, but includes the following changes:

• Added in-app purchase functionality for voluntary contributions.
    This will allow users to make one-time or automatically recurring donations using their Google Play accounts directly from within the app. There's a silly easter egg if you donate, but it's nothing terriwnality at all. This is a stepping stone to combining Lite and Pro into one app, with Pro becoming an in-app purchase upgrade. This will help keep both versions up-to-date (the free version is embarassingly out of date). I sincerely appreciate everyone's support!

• Changed imperial LTE TA distance units to display miles instead of feet.
    This was a nice visual change suggested by a couple of users. If you prefer meters, that can be selected under the Preferences menu.

• Resolved issue with invalid CDMA sites being displayed/logged.
    Some invalid connections with BID 0 started appearing when Airave 4 support was added. This is now fixed.

• Resolved force closes related to the Location Service on some Android 8+ devices.
  • Resolved various force closes related to installing, starting, and exiting the app.
    Bugfixes are wonderful!

Any feedback, positive or negative, is always welcome.. as usual, more improvements are still in progress!

-Mike

• Like 5

On 7/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, PedroDaGr8 said:

I figured it wasn't an app issue, either way, I will test today near the tower that I used to test the B25 values. I was only able to test it yesterday on B25 because there was a period where it seemed that B41 wasn't broadcasting.

Either way, even the values at 4 and 5 are not really accurate either. So it could be my device more than anything else.

Yep, must be my device if normally Sprint B41 is the most accurate. Same exact location (approx 100ft away from the antenna) when I had TA=0 for B25 shows a TA of 3-4 for B41. So yeah, for Sprint LG V30+, the B41 TA is not correct. Makes it very hard for me to track down this MM/SC that I can't seem to find. 

Edited by PedroDaGr8

Yep, must be my device if normally Sprint B41 is the most accurate. Same exact location (approx 100ft away from the antenna) when I had TA=0 for B25 shows a TA of 3-4 for B41. So yeah, for Sprint LG V30+, the B41 TA is not correct. Makes it very hard for me to track down this MM/SC that I can't seem to find. 

Perhaps the B25 and B41 are not coming from the same site?

-Mike

On 7/12/2019 at 5:33 PM, mikejeep said:

Perhaps the B25 and B41 are not coming from the same site?

-Mike

Unfortunately, not in this case. Signal strength increases up to this tower from every direction for all bands. So clearly something is a bit screwy with my phone if nobody else has noticed this. 

Anyways I have taken up enough of your time on something unrelated to your software. Thanks for the guidance though!

• Like 1

Whenever I reset my device I lose Signal Check from displaying on the notification bar on the Note 9, I have it checked for it to display when I reset the device.

Whenever I reset my device I lose Signal Check from displaying on the notification bar on the Note 9, I have it checked for it to display when I reset the device.

What do you mean by "reset" the device? The app shows notifications by default, but if you're on a newer version of Android the OS has a lot more involvement with notification controls.. not sure if Samsung hides more than usual? I have not received any other reports of this.

-Mike

36 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

What do you mean by "reset" the device? The app shows notifications by default, but if you're on a newer version of Android the OS has a lot more involvement with notification controls.. not sure if Samsung hides more than usual? I have not received any other reports of this.

-Mike

When I turn the device off and turn it back on, the app will no longer display in the notification bar. For it to return I need to reopen the app for it to stay that way. 

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

-Mike

it dose the same think for me and i doint see the lte phone call  conection on it 

When I turn the device off and turn it back on, the app will no longer display in the notification bar. For it to return I need to reopen the app for it to stay that way. 

Do you have the app set to Launch on Device Boot? Shoot me a diagnostic report I'll make sure that's enabled.

-Mike

12 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Do you have the app set to Launch on Device Boot? Shoot me a diagnostic report I'll make sure that's enabled.

-Mike

I do. I just sent one.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've seen this mentioned before, but I ran into the issue of SCP pulling the wrong site note for B41. I've noticed that a lot of the B41 sites using Ericsson B41 equipment don't follow the +1450 hex offset, it seems to be randomly assigned. The note for the neighbor cells is what it should be displaying, so far this is the only site I've seen this on. If I change the note for the B41 GCI will the app also change the note for the site -1450 hex too? 

9oFhd75.jpg

On 8/14/2019 at 8:45 PM, mdob07 said:

I think I've seen this mentioned before, but I ran into the issue of SCP pulling the wrong site note for B41. I've noticed that a lot of the B41 sites using Ericsson B41 equipment don't follow the +1450 hex offset, it seems to be randomly assigned. The note for the neighbor cells is what it should be displaying, so far this is the only site I've seen this on. If I change the note for the B41 GCI will the app also change the note for the site -1450 hex too? 

9oFhd75.jpg

I've never encountered a standard Ericsson B41 site not using the pattern. The Ericsson M-MIMO sites I've encountered have seemingly random GCIs. 

35 minutes ago, Dkoellerwx said:

I've never encountered a standard Ericsson B41 site not using the pattern. The Ericsson M-MIMO sites I've encountered have seemingly random GCIs. 

That's strange. Very few if any of the new B41 here follows the pattern. Pretty much everything I've tracked down since coming back to Sprint I've had to add the note manually. There's quite a bit of Ericsson B41 here too. Not really an issue for me, I'm used to the 2nd GCI AT&T is adding during their upgrades being random also.