SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

So I just got the t mobile s20 plus,  it shows 5g but sc is showing band 2. Is sc incorrect?

5G NR at the moment is always a SCC / secondary carrier. An LTE carrier is the primary. It's referred to as non standalone (NSA). NR at the moment is still using the LTE core.

Standalone NR is coming eventually, but none of the eNB manufacturers have it implemented yet. I'm not sure if SA requires an NR core, or if it can use the LTE core.

Eventually they will migrate the network to an NR core, and LTE can run on top of that. Then you can have standalone LTE, or NR as the primary carrier and LTE as secondary, or vice versa.

Currently, T-Mobile requires B2 or B4 as the anchor primary carrier for LTE. You cannot have B12 or B71 as the primary LTE carrier with NR. The 5G indicator on T-Mobile unfortunately lies, it just means that some tower in the area is broadcasting NR, and that the LTE site you're connected to supports NR as a secondary carrier. Sprint does not have their 5G indicator configured that way, to my knowledge.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, swintec said:

i submitted a report but as promised, a screenshot showing SC and then the actual system LTE reporting.  Since the last update, SC is holding on  and displaying LTE bands that it has long since been moved off of.  It has tripped me up a few times thinking they cranked up something on band 26 to extend it a lot further. lol

1) Did this just start with the latest update, 4.58?

2) If you enable the timestamp display, does it appear to be refreshing even if the data stays the same?

3) When moving at a decent speed/distance (traveling in a vehicle), does the behavior change at all?

2 hours ago, mikejeep said:

2) If you enable the timestamp display, does it appear to be refreshing even if the data stays the same?

3) When moving at a decent speed/distance (traveling in a vehicle), does the behavior change at all?

1) as far as i know yes

2) will try that

3) i can say most definitely no, when moving in a vehicle SC does not update and exhibits the same behavior.  One day earlier this week I was driving and thought band 26 was somehow extended further because SC was stuck displaying it but come to find out i was actually on USCC band 12.  it will eventually update but it is no where instant like it used to be.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikejeep said:

yes, the time does refresh every 3-5 seconds (not sure if that is normal as ive never enabled that before) while it displays the stale 1x and LTE connection data.

8 hours ago, swintec said:

1) as far as i know yes

2) will try that

3) i can say most definitely no, when moving in a vehicle SC does not update and exhibits the same behavior.  One day earlier this week I was driving and thought band 26 was somehow extended further because SC was stuck displaying it but come to find out i was actually on USCC band 12.  it will eventually update but it is no where instant like it used to be.

I am having this issue as well on my S20.  I can be driving for miles on the freeway and it doesn't update.  I have both Verizon and Sprint.

2 hours ago, swintec said:

yes, the time does refresh every 3-5 seconds (not sure if that is normal as ive never enabled that before) while it displays the stale 1x and LTE connection data.

my time sometimes takes up to 10 seconds to update.  Seems like some delay.

I am having this issue as well on my S20.  I can be driving for miles on the freeway and it doesn't update.  I have both Verizon and Sprint.

my time sometimes takes up to 10 seconds to update.  Seems like some delay.

Interesting.. if the timestamp is updating, that means SignalCheck is getting an update from the OS, and 3-10 seconds between updates is very normal. However, the information not changing when the timestamp changes is obviously an issue. If anyone experiencing this could submit a diagnostic report from within the app, I'd appreciate it -- want to see if it's limited to certain makes/models/builds. I am not able to replicate it with a Pixel 3 on AT&T or Pixel 4 on Sprint.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, mikejeep said:

Interesting.. if the timestamp is updating, that means SignalCheck is getting an update from the OS, and 3-10 seconds between updates is very normal. However, the information not changing when the timestamp changes is obviously an issue. If anyone experiencing this could submit a diagnostic report from within the app, I'd appreciate it -- want to see if it's limited to certain makes/models/builds. I am not able to replicate it with a Pixel 3 on AT&T or Pixel 4 on Sprint.

I have the same issue. 

Not sure if this will help you (since I'm a moron who has no business sniffing around app development), but the app seems to work fine if the CellMapper app is also running in the background on my OnePlus 6T running Android 10. Once I close it down, the time stamp refreshes every 3-10 seconds, but the signal info doesn't.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, greenbastard said:

I have the same issue. 

Not sure if this will help you (since I'm a moron who has no business sniffing around app development), but the app seems to work fine if the CellMapper app is also running in the background on my OnePlus 6T running Android 10. Once I close it down, the time stamp refreshes every 3-10 seconds, but the signal info doesn't.

Interesting!! Can anyone else replicate this?

Mike,

I just updated to the LG G8X and am trying to import my SCP log, and it's telling me it's imported successfully with the number of rows, but then the notes remain blank.  Any ideas?

EDIT:  This is very strange.  I named my home site and then tried to export.  Though the label appears in the software, it's not dumping out.  Attempting to then import my database again, now my note is gone.

- Trip

1 hour ago, Trip said:

Mike,

I just updated to the LG G8X and am trying to import my SCP log, and it's telling me it's imported successfully with the number of rows, but then the notes remain blank.  Any ideas?

EDIT:  This is very strange.  I named my home site and then tried to export.  Though the label appears in the software, it's not dumping out.  Attempting to then import my database again, now my note is gone.

- Trip

I had a similar issue on my OnePlus after getting a replacement unit. I never figured out the issue because the Android 10 update fixed it. Have you tried resetting the phone? I only had the issue for a week, so I never attempted a hard reset.

3 minutes ago, Trip said:

No, it's brand new out of the box.  I suppose I could try that... now that I've set everything up.

I'll see if Mike has any ideas first.

- Trip

Same issue with me. Turned the phone on from the box and set every single app up. Unfortunately, site notes were not displaying after successfully importing everything. I never got to troubleshoot the issue entirely because the Android 10 update arrived first and fixed the issue for me.

Let us know if you find the issue or solution. 

Well, on factory reset, I didn't even try importing my log, I went one simpler--I named my home site, exported my log, and then tried to reimport it.  I then immediately tried to import it, saying "File corrupt or improperly structured."  Must be something to do with the beta I'm on, I guess?

- Trip

I had this issue when importing prior to the GSM PSC logging. I had to export a blank database then use a sqlite db editor (I used Sqlite Studio for Windows) to copy the old database to the new empty one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I seen an issue similar when the db file was made wrong. Can you send me a link to the exported db. I can look at the db to see if it is still the right setup.

When I upgraded my phone the db just transferred over I didn't have to import. Maybe a backup program like helium from clockworkmod might work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Flompholph said:

I seen an issue similar when the db file was made wrong. Can you send me a link to the exported db. I can look at the db to see if it is still the right setup.

When I upgraded my phone the db just transferred over I didn't have to import. Maybe a backup program like helium from clockworkmod might work.

I tried Helium and successfully copied my database over.  Whew.  I can at least collect data for the trip today and tomorrow.

The larger problem of not being able to backup and import remains, but I'm not in the huge hurried panic I had been in before.  Thank you so much.

As far as database format is concerned, I'll send a PM.  Mike, if you want to look at it, let me know.

- Trip

• Like 1

Okay, now I'm wondering if there isn't an additional bug of some sort.  I realized that my G6 properly showed a black navigation bar when SCP was open, but my G8X on Pie shows a gray one.  Similarly, in apps where the status bar turns white, on my G6, the SCP icons would turn gray so I could see them, while on my G8X they remain white and are illegible.

- Trip

On 3/13/2020 at 1:55 PM, Trip said:

Did you try restarting the app after importing a backup? Also, the terminology isn't great, but you can only import from a database file created with "Backup Log Database". The files produced by "Export Site Logs" are CSV text files and not meant for direct import into the app.

I am not able to reproduce any problems backing up or re-importing my log. The only other thing I can think of is if you try importing an old database backup with a new version of the app, the extra columns may cause an issue. I tried to test those scenarios but there could be outliers.

On 3/16/2020 at 11:26 AM, Trip said:

Okay, now I'm wondering if there isn't an additional bug of some sort.  I realized that my G6 properly showed a black navigation bar when SCP was open, but my G8X on Pie shows a gray one.  Similarly, in apps where the status bar turns white, on my G6, the SCP icons would turn gray so I could see them, while on my G8X they remain white and are illegible.

The navigation bar is controlled by the OS, unfortunately apps have no control over this behavior on modern versions of Android. SCP uses "layered" notification icons which some OEMs have failed to properly test and support in the past. Try changing your icons within the app to something that is only showing one piece of data at a time (ie connection type only or dB only) -- does that resolve it?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

Did you try restarting the app after importing a backup? Also, the terminology isn't great, but you can only import from a database file created with "Backup Log Database". The files produced by "Export Site Logs" are CSV text files and not meant for direct import into the app.

I am not able to reproduce any problems backing up or re-importing my log. The only other thing I can think of is if you try importing an old database backup with a new version of the app, the extra columns may cause an issue. I tried to test those scenarios but there could be outliers.

I'm aware of the need to use the .db file.  I'm not quite that slow in the head, and have successfully been using the .db file for some time now. ;)

I'll try to restart after importing, but I don't think it worked.  It just dropped everything I had in it and that was that--like I attempted to then dump the database and found it to be empty again.

I thought of that, as I'm beta testing.  I compared my standard file against the one on my new phone and they looked the same, but I realized that if it dumps it out wrong, then I don't know how I would check what it's looking for at import.  But I've only gotten the corrupt file error a few times, and I'd expect to see it consistently.

Was the Stack Overflow link at all relevant?  I figure it's a long shot, but that did match the symptom, at least, of what I was seeing.

6 minutes ago, mikejeep said:

The navigation bar is controlled by the OS, unfortunately apps have no control over this behavior on modern versions of Android. SCP uses "layered" notification icons which some OEMs have failed to properly test and support in the past. Try changing your icons within the app to something that is only showing one piece of data at a time (ie connection type only or dB only) -- does that resolve it?

Ack. I don't know why the navigation bar turns out to be light gray, considering most of the app is black.  Very annoying.

Yes, switching to band-only or dBm-only, either one, works correctly.  Just the combo does not.

- Trip