SignalCheck - Android app to monitor your Wi-Fi/2G/3G/4G LTE/5G-NR signal strengths

mikejeep

Honestly, I didnt think this would bother me but I realized that after all of this time I was conditioned to think anytime LTE had a number after it (26 or 41) I was connected to one of the 'special' bands. (special in that I really do not have many instances of 26 and 41)  So now I see LTE with 25 and it throws me off especially since on the tiny icons 25 and 26 look quite similar

Why not change the frequency band to frequency class i.e. LTE 1900 under the display settings?  

• Like 1

Maybe an option would be good. That way those who like it can keep it, and those who don't can take it off.

Ahh man you guys are tough! I will try to come up with an option to have the "standard" band be hidden for certain providers.

What about LTE 800 instead of LTE B26? Let keep mikejeep busy making icons!!

Or an option to add a second notification displaying what we are connected to. For example:

LTE

B25

Play with the icon settings, those options are already there!

-Mike

• Like 1

Ahh man you guys are tough! I will try to come up with an option to have the "standard" band be hidden for certain providers.

Play with the icon settings, those options are already there!

-Mike

Damn, I gotta play with settings more often!! Thanks!! 7ded886f775dd05678ba2bc3beb2ca4a.jpg
  • Like 1

I've messed with the options already and when you make it say LTE 800 as well as the signal strength you can't read the frequency class to well. I'll manage. Not that big of a deal.

I've messed with the options already and when you make it say LTE 800 as well as the signal strength you can't read the frequency class to well. I'll manage. Not that big of a deal.

Yeah if you want the frequency class and the signal strength, it's a bit tricky.. there's not a lot of pixels for me to work with. It works better when you show it without the signal strength.

I'm still working on revamping the Alerts behind the scenes to allow for more customization; the icons are kind of tied into that component, so I can look into adding the option for another simultaneous icon if someone thinks that could be useful. The consensus to this point has seemed to be less clutter, not more, but I'm willing to try whatever you guys would find useful.

-Mike

Yeah if you want the frequency class and the signal strength, it's a bit tricky.. there's not a lot of pixels for me to work with. It works better when you show it without the signal strength.

I'm still working on revamping the Alerts behind the scenes to allow for more customization; the icons are kind of tied into that component, so I can look into adding the option for another simultaneous icon if someone thinks that could be useful. The consensus to this point has seemed to be less clutter, not more, but I'm willing to try whatever you guys would find useful.

-Mike

Mike I'm happy with it either way. Great app at a great price. Never mind me sir. Keep up the good work  :tu:

• Like 1

Changed it to read LTE 1900. That's a little better but I'd still prefer the standard LTE band to just say LTE so I know at a glance I'm getting something different on b26/b41. My eyes can't tell the difference between b25 and b26 unless I get close to phone.

I still vote for the old behavior where b25 displayed LTE.

• Like 2

Is there away that showing LTE bands could be added for Sprint's prepaid offerings on signal check pro? I use Boost Mobile and,it doesnt show the LTE band. I was told to post here to request it. Thanks S4GRU

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a bug or the phone reporting bad data.  I'd have sent a diagnostic but I was on the road and it wouldn't have been safe.  Look carefully at the neighbor cells.

ghtlu8xl.pnggjLi4fel.png

- Trip

Not sure if this is a bug or the phone reporting bad data. I'd have sent a diagnostic but I was on the road and it wouldn't have been safe. Look carefully at the neighbor cells.

ghtlu8xl.pnggjLi4fel.png

- Trip

I've seen the same thing happen on my Nexus 6 with "Unknown" neighbors. It started happening with the current version. Mine shows 0db for the signal strength though.

0rNeziT.png

Sent from my Nexus 6

Is there away that showing LTE bands could be added for Sprint's prepaid offerings on signal check pro? I use Boost Mobile and,it doesnt show the LTE band. I was told to post here to request it. Thanks S4GRU

SignalCheck should be displaying Boost Mobile's LTE bands, what is the PLMN that is being displayed and are you using Lite or Pro?  

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a bug or the phone reporting bad data.  I'd have sent a diagnostic but I was on the road and it wouldn't have been safe.  Look carefully at the neighbor cells.

I am pretty sure that 1100 dBm or 1 mW x 10^110 is basically the equivalent of the Sun.  So, I expect that you, as an FCC employee, are required to report this egregious transmitted power violation to the enforcement bureau.

AJ

• Like 6

SignalCheck should be displaying Boost Mobile's LTE bands, what is the PLMN that is being displayed and are you using Lite or Pro?

I made my neighbor across the street (who can get B25/41 and I get eHRPD grrr) on Boost purchase SCP. Same problem as others reported: PLMN of 311870 just showing up as LTE. I can (ask him) to provide screenshots and diagnostic data if needed.
  • Like 2

I don't believe Sprint MVNOs show LTE bands at the moment.

I think I can agree on that

I've got a LG Tribute that's unactivated on Boost (still shows 3G/1X) with occasional LTE, SignalCheck Pro and LTE Discovery don't have a clue.

I wanted to provide GCI's for the devs, but it connects to LTE so rarely that I can't.

That being said, I do run CellMapper 24/7 and what LTE it does connect to on highways (B26) does map.

I don't believe Sprint MVNOs show LTE bands at the moment.

Actually, it should.. but I don't think I've ever had any direct confirmation from a prepaid user that it does or does not work.

I made my neighbor across the street (who can get B25/41 and I get eHRPD grrr) on Boost purchase SCP. Same problem as others reported: PLMN of 311870 just showing up as LTE. I can (ask him) to provide screenshots and diagnostic data if needed.

Yes, please do.. if they can see a GCI within the app, they should be seeing the same band indicators that postpaid customers see. A diagnostic report would be enough, it includes everything that is shown on the screen plus more.

-Mike

• Like 1

Not sure if this is a bug or the phone reporting bad data. I'd have sent a diagnostic but I was on the road and it wouldn't have been safe. Look carefully at the neighbor cells.

I've seen the same thing happen on my Nexus 6 with "Unknown" neighbors. It started happening with the current version. Mine shows 0db for the signal strength though.

I see those Unknown/0 neighbors on my N5 occasionally as well, but the crazy dBm ones are news to me. They are appearing because that's exactly what he device's radio is reporting.. the app doesn't currently do any filtering, because I had no idea what each device might show.

Is anyone seeing valid neighbor PCIs with invalid signal readings, or invalid/unknown neighbor PCIs with valid signal readings? I want to clean it up but not hide anything that might have some usefulness.

-Mike

I've seen Unknown with 0 a few times and didn't think much of it, but that was the only time I've seen that completely wild number.

Otherwise, neighbor cells have been pretty accurate to my recollection.

- Trip

Actually, it should.. but I don't think I've ever had any direct confirmation from a prepaid user that it does or does not work.

Yes, please do.. if they can see a GCI within the app, they should be seeing the same band indicators that postpaid customers see. A diagnostic report would be enough, it includes everything that is shown on the screen plus more.

-Mike

I'll make it so this evening. Already txt'd him....

I see those Unknown/0 neighbors on my N5 occasionally as well, but the crazy dBm ones are news to me. They are appearing because that's exactly what he device's radio is reporting.. the app doesn't currently do any filtering, because I had no idea what each device might show.

Is anyone seeing valid neighbor PCIs with invalid signal readings, or invalid/unknown neighbor PCIs with valid signal readings? I want to clean it up but not hide anything that might have some usefulness.

-Mike

I think they're valid, but showing a testing mode essentially- I've seen them when PCIs are getting reconfigured. Ask dkyeager.....

For those of you that are seeing the "Unknown 0dBm," what network mode is your device set to (Global, CDMA/LTE, CDMA, GSM/UMTS)?  I was getting the unknown PCI when my device was set to global mode once I set it to CDMA/LTE I stopped getting the unknown PCI, this is using a LG G Flex.

• Like 1

For those of you that are seeing the "Unknown 0dBm," what network mode is your device set to (Global, CDMA/LTE, CDMA, GSM/UMTS)? I was getting the unknown PCI when my device was set to global mode once I set it to CDMA/LTE I stopped getting the unknown PCI, this is using a LG G Flex.

I have mine set to LTE/CDMA, not global, but still see them. It seems to occur when the device is doing a handoff between sites or bands.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Sorry if this has been answered but how come when I'm roaming on verizon the app says Midwest wireless?

Maybe in that region VZW uses Midwest Wireless as their roaming partner? Just south of me VZW uses US Cellular for CDMA for their roaming partner. VZW has been agressive and deploying LTE, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk