Three weeks of official Jelly Bean bugs on the HTC EVO 4G LTE

kckid

Here is a list of what the author says are bugs in Jelly Bean on the EVO LTE.

"most of the issues have been Sprint’s."

"There are rumors coming up from the stores than an update is coming soon to fix many of the bugs, but as far as I know there’s no official timeframe on that and that leaves many non-root users out for weeks with buggy equipment"

http://www.pocketabl...evo-4g-lte.html

Lots of bugs, battery life SUCKS now, after reading some of the comment threads on Sprint looks like it has something to do with the IR sensor which is driving me NUTS! The phone goes blank the minute I place a call now, the only way it wakes up is by pressing the power button, this is beyond annoying having to do this every time I want to end a call or even see if the phone is dialing out. Sometimes it works like it is supposed to (go black when held up to your face) but most of the time it doesn't function properly.

I placed my phone bedside last night with 44% battery life left. Should have drained about 9% over the next 6-7hrs while idling, wrong. It died. This was my first legit test as I suspected a problem last week but hadn't had time to really measure the battery performance just yet. I have gotten almost 1.5 days use out of my battery prior to JB with moderate to light use, the battery went from 100%-43% this evening in less than 3.5hrs with almost no use (probably was on FB for maybe 10 mins total, no other use and I was in one location the entire time with a good signal)

Other problems I've experienced include non-responsive screen about 4 times since I update in late December, couple of random shut-offs (phone literally just powered down and back up without me initiating it). There are some other random minor things to I know I've experienced but can't recall right now. I'm about a step away from factory reset or taking it back to Sprint for one with ICS. Any advice? I am LOATHE to to a reset as I have my work email, personal calendar, self-employed business email, at least a dozen apps I use regularly that require some set-up. I am hesitant because some of these things took quite a bit of work to set up initially and I really don't want to rehash them again.

I loved my phone prior to JB, glad I told my wife not to upgrade her EVO to JB yet. She probably would have killed me just because of the inconvenience.

Just thought of another issue, some of the ringtones I had set would not work even though they were set correctly. This eventually randomly resolved itself about 4 days after the update. As I am typing this my phone has been on battery for exactly 6hrs now and is at 26%. I've barely used it. One of the apps it says was responsible for using 24% of the battery wasn't even running since I unplugged it, wtf? I went to force stop but it wasn't running even though the battery usage indicates it has been.

Lots of bugs, battery life SUCKS now, after reading some of the comment threads on Sprint looks like it has something to do with the IR sensor which is driving me NUTS! The phone goes blank the minute I place a call now, the only way it wakes up is by pressing the power button, this is beyond annoying having to do this every time I want to end a call or even see if the phone is dialing out. Sometimes it works like it is supposed to (go black when held up to your face) but most of the time it doesn't function properly.

I placed my phone bedside last night with 44% battery life left. Should have drained about 9% over the next 6-7hrs while idling, wrong. It died. This was my first legit test as I suspected a problem last week but hadn't had time to really measure the battery performance just yet. I have gotten almost 1.5 days use out of my battery prior to JB with moderate to light use, the battery went from 100%-43% this evening in less than 3.5hrs with almost no use (probably was on FB for maybe 10 mins total, no other use and I was in one location the entire time with a good signal)

Other problems I've experienced include non-responsive screen about 4 times since I update in late December, couple of random shut-offs (phone literally just powered down and back up without me initiating it). There are some other random minor things to I know I've experienced but can't recall right now. I'm about a step away from factory reset or taking it back to Sprint for one with ICS. Any advice? I am LOATHE to to a reset as I have my work email, personal calendar, self-employed business email, at least a dozen apps I use regularly that require some set-up. I am hesitant because some of these things took quite a bit of work to set up initially and I really don't want to rehash them again.

I loved my phone prior to JB, glad I told my wife not to upgrade her EVO to JB yet. She probably would have killed me just because of the inconvenience.

Just thought of another issue, some of the ringtones I had set would not work even though they were set correctly. This eventually randomly resolved itself about 4 days after the update. As I am typing this my phone has been on battery for exactly 6hrs now and is at 26%. I've barely used it. One of the apps it says was responsible for using 24% of the battery wasn't even running since I unplugged it, wtf? I went to force stop but it wasn't running even though the battery usage indicates it has been.

Um.... factory reset! I can't believe you would resist resetting this long. It might be slightly inconvient, but it is really important to reset when changing generations in Android (ICS to JB).

• Like 4

How can you sit there, complain about all these issues, yet never bothered to do a hardreset? This makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I am running JB and for the most part everything is running just fine and battery life is just as amazing. With anything, there will be bugs and/or other issues but its no where near as bad as what you are making it out to be. Also for the record, my girl has an evo upgraded to JB without hardresetting and her phone is running just fine. Now I know that doesn't mean that you aren't having issues since everyone's miles will vary but if you started to have issues then I would think that you would realize that a hardreset is in order. Anyway if you went to sprint at any time during these issues they wouldn't have exchanged the phone for you, they would simply do a hardreset then send you out the door. You could have potentially saved yourself quite a bit of time and frustration if you did this yourself weeks ago.

• Like 3

How can you sit there, complain about all these issues, yet never bothered to do a hardreset? This makes absolutely no sense what so ever. I am running JB and for the most part everything is running just fine and battery life is just as amazing. With anything, there will be bugs and/or other issues but its no where near as bad as what you are making it out to be. Also for the record, my girl has an evo upgraded to JB without hardresetting and her phone is running just fine. Now I know that doesn't mean that you aren't having issues since everyone's miles will vary but if you started to have issues then I would think that you would realize that a hardreset is in order. Anyway if you went to sprint at any time during these issues they wouldn't have exchanged the phone for you, they would simply do a hardreset then send you out the door. You could have potentially saved yourself quite a bit of time and frustration if you did this yourself weeks ago.

I already addressed the hard reset and explained above why I have been apprehensive to perform one. Just as you said everybody has a different experience. Don't let my ranting fool you however, I have been and still am a huge fan of the EVO, that's why I got the LTE over the SIII. I don't regret it, I'm really more irritated that the bugs I've been experiencing seem directly related to the update to JB and seem to be having an increasingly negative impact on the operations of my device. I am a novice at best and often have to solicit the assistance of those more talented than myself when performing tasks such as a hard reset. I am not stupid, I know how to reset the phone and have already backed up everything, the unforeseen is what concerns me. I had several issues with the IT department at work setting up my email to begin with and had similar issues on a few other items that I regularly use my phone for. I don't like to be a burden on others when I can help it and having to do a factory reset does present some uncertainty on my part. I would like to think that I could have everything back the way it was within an hour or two of the reset but I know there are no guarantees

Another issue which I have picked up on that I'm fairly sure a reset will not fix as it is a specific issue with JB is the compression of screenshots (maybe images in general?) when attaching to a text msg. I haven't had a lot of time to peruse the rest of the forum to see if anyone else has brought this up yet, but am I correct that this is an issue with JB? The images are rendered unviewable to the recipient after they are compressed for the text, this was not an issue prior to the update. Any thoughts there? Fyi, I am in the process of resetting the phone now. If I end up jumping out a window you'll know the reset was a complete failure ;-) I don't usually say much on this forum and I don't want you to think that all I do is complain, I may have given you the wrong impression initially, I am probably just more agitated at the overall inconvenience the situation is presenting and was probably overly optimistic in thinking I might get more sympathy than open resentment as presented in your response.

I already addressed the hard reset and explained above why I have been apprehensive to perform one. Just as you said everybody has a different experience. Don't let my ranting fool you however, I have been and still am a huge fan of the EVO, that's why I got the LTE over the SIII. I don't regret it, I'm really more irritated that the bugs I've been experiencing seem directly related to the update to JB and seem to be having an increasingly negative impact on the operations of my device. I am a novice at best and often have to solicit the assistance of those more talented than myself when performing tasks such as a hard reset. I am not stupid, I know how to reset the phone and have already backed up everything, the unforeseen is what concerns me. I had several issues with the IT department at work setting up my email to begin with and had similar issues on a few other items that I regularly use my phone for. I don't like to be a burden on others when I can help it and having to do a factory reset does present some uncertainty on my part. I would like to think that I could have everything back the way it was within an hour or two of the reset but I know there are no guarantees

Another issue which I have picked up on that I'm fairly sure a reset will not fix as it is a specific issue with JB is the compression of screenshots (maybe images in general?) when attaching to a text msg. I haven't had a lot of time to peruse the rest of the forum to see if anyone else has brought this up yet, but am I correct that this is an issue with JB? The images are rendered unviewable to the recipient after they are compressed for the text, this was not an issue prior to the update. Any thoughts there? Fyi, I am in the process of resetting the phone now. If I end up jumping out a window you'll know the reset was a complete failure ;-) I don't usually say much on this forum and I don't want you to think that all I do is complain, I may have given you the wrong impression initially, I am probably just more agitated at the overall inconvenience the situation is presenting and was probably overly optimistic in thinking I might get more sympathy than open resentment as presented in your response.

I totally understand where you are coming from. My IT department at work had to sacrifice 2 chickens and dance around a fire to get my work email pushed to my phone. However, it does not seem that the JB update is buggy but rather its a limitation of Android that you need to hard reset after upgrading. Bottom line, it does not sound like your issues will be fixed until you hard reset.

PS- Is your company ok with forwarding your email to your gmail account? That would be an easy fix.

• Like 1

I'll just say I'm glad my company uses Google apps as their email server. Made it a snap to sync with my existing Gmail.

When I updated to JB, it went very smoothly on my EVO. I haven't experienced anything I would call bugs. Every EVO I've owned has a problem now and then, just like the GS3, all it takes is a restart and back to normal. And that's less than once a week. Is there something that you do with your phone that perhaps the average user doesn't that might have caused an issue with the JB update?

As for the picture compression with text messages... I haven't ever had that issue? Are you using the stock messaging app? I always use Handcent as my default messaging app, but I don't know if that would make any difference.

• Like 1

Did it kill the official sprint app for tethering? If not, then this discussion violates our rules.

I'm not sure if it did or not. I was just commenting on how the author of the article at Pocketables deemed FoxFi WiFi tether not working after the JB update a "bug".

"Update killed FoxFi WiFi Tether" -- Pretty sure that isn't a bug.

Agreed that's not a bug. Pretty sure that was on purpose

Did it kill the official sprint app for tethering? If not, then this discussion violates our rules.

Didn't affect it. Pretty sure it was just a statement. Not a complaint.

Agreed that's not a bug. Pretty sure that was on purpose

Didn't affect it. Pretty sure it was just a statement. Not a complaint.

Yes, I should have said a bit more. Was a statement and not a complaint :)

Ah, still not something that should be discussed here. Discussion of ways to circumvent Sprint's control measures to enforce the Terms and Conditions is a good way to get this website shut down. I doubt anyone wants that.

• Like 1

I understand the concern, but my post didn't have discussion on how to circumvent Sprint's control measures. I was just merely commenting on the fact that the author of the article thought that since FoxFi didn't work after the JB update it was deemed a "bug" when in fact it was obviously Sprint/HTC implementing stopping measures to unauthorized tethering.

It doesn't appear that the post crosses the line. But please understand why we have the posting guidelines that we do. And I would rather our Moderators err more on the side of caution, than on the side of liability. Thanks for your understanding.

Robert

Just to clarify, when I am acting as a moderator, and say that something is a prohibited post, it is NOT up for debate in the public forum. I don't understand why anyone would feel this is acceptable.

Just to clarify, when I am acting as a moderator, and say that something is a prohibited post, it is NOT up for debate in the public forum. I don't understand why anyone would feel this is acceptable.

My apologies if I came across like that. That was not my intentions.

Duly noted.

I do hope they get a fix the proximity sensor. Mine hasn't worked very well since the update.

My EVO Shift had problems with the Proximity Sensor after the Gingerbread upgrade, and a custom ROM fixed that issue, so HTC has been known for that problem on and off.