Need advice HELP!

Terrell352

One of my two contracts are about to end November 6 and the other in May. I have three options and am having a really hard time deciding on the best decision so I decided to ask my S4GRU brethren for advice. Option 1 is to just keep my EVO 4G LTE until next year when all  of the new April-June phones arrive but I don't like this option because the terrible LTE reception and the fact that Sprints LTE roll out is going a little slow for my tastes. Option 2 would be "if" the Nexus 5 has Tri-band LTE I could sell my Evo for 150 if I'm lucky and pony up the rest of the money while not having to renew my contracts so if I get tired of waiting for Sprints network to come to life I can jump ship to T-mobiles pre paid $70 plan and test there network to see if its better than Sprint's network all while not taking a financial hit or I can keep the Nexus 5 as my tri band Sprint device until next years phones come out and keep both phones. Option 3 is if I get the G2 on best buy pre order for $100 with the $50 gift card which I will use to buy the quick case. I will also get the benefit of getting to keep my Evo LTE so another 2 phone benefit option is nice. Any suggestions 

I guess it depends on how impressed you are with the LG G2 (or some other triband phone) and if you really want to leave for T-Mobile. How good is TMO coverage in the areas you live, work and travel? If you are leaving for data speed I think you are better off staying. Think how much progress Sprint will make between now and May. Hopefully most sites will have backhaul by then and thus most will have LTE of some kind.

I just bought 2 G2s. The Best Buy deal is insane. So is the G2. It's triband, a crazy great phone and in less than a year there will be 800 mhz LTE and TD-LTE. It was an easy decision for me.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on how impressed you are with the LG G2 (or some other triband phone) and if you really want to leave for T-Mobile. How good is TMO coverage in the areas you live, work and travel? If you are leaving for data speed I think you are better off staying. Think how much progress Sprint will make between now and May. Hopefully most sites will have backhaul by then and thus most will have LTE of some kind.

Tmobile and Sprint both have the closest towers to my home. I get full bars on both carriers. On my tmobile hotspot before it broke I got 9-12 mbps down on average and 3 up at almost all times of the day. On Sprint I get 200-400kbps in day hours and 1-2 mbps after midnight. They share a tower and the tower is exactly 0.5 miles away from my home.

I just bought 2 G2s. The Best Buy deal is insane. So is the G2. It's triband, a crazy great phone and in less than a year there will be 800 mhz LTE and TD-LTE. It was an easy decision for me.

I know my Sprint reception will be great because the tower is so close to my home but the wait for that tower to be upgrade combined with the evo's crappy reception is not a good recipe. A awesome phone like the G2 and the fact that I will finally get to test my WIFI AC router could be enough to keep me happy until coverage improves though 

Overall, the rf performance looks to be pretty solid based on the FCC docs. I played with the G2 in store, so I can tell you for basically $50, you can't beat the combination of that phone with a network that is really starting to pick up fast here in Florida. I say if you get good voice coverage and some LTE now, I'd say stick around because within the next two year upgrade cycle, you ought to see some crazy stuff come from Sprint.

True.

Overall, the rf performance looks to be pretty solid based on the FCC docs. I played with the G2 in store, so I can tell you for basically $50, you can't beat the combination of that phone with a network that is really starting to pick up fast here in Florida. I say if you get good voice coverage and some LTE now, I'd say stick around because within the next two year upgrade cycle, you ought to see some crazy stuff come from Sprint.

So this is my take on it. We don't have One Up in Florida, yet. I wasn't feeling paying $424 for two phones at the same time as me changing job positions, and having my anniversary of my first date with my wife and taking a week long Food and Wine festival trip to Disney and all the gifts and expenses that proceed it. My wife and I have been dying for new phones and have had an upgrade since May and another since July to burn through.

Enter this Best Buy deal. $99.99. Free shipping and $50 gift certificate. I wasn't going to keep the Quick Window case, anyway. From reviews it seemed mediocre and not very protective. A nice case is about $30-50. So if I would normally pay for a fancy case, I figure this deal is like $50 for the phone and $50 for a Ballistic tri-layer case. $50 for a tri-band flagship phone is ridiculous. No One Up payments, keep the old Everything plan, and even if in a year you aren't happy, I have a feeling Sprint will be willing to offer One Up halfway through the contract when it is available here to get you into the more profitable My Way plan, if not, you can do Upgrade Now.

That is my take on it. Your area is getting upgraded right now. It will get better in 6 months or less. It just seems like it to me. You can get this great deal on a $50 phone, basically. I say do it, if it were me (I did).

So this is my take on it. We don't have One Up in Florida, yet. I wasn't feeling paying $424 for two phones at the same time as me changing job positions, and having my anniversary of my first date with my wife and taking a week long Food and Wine festival trip to Disney and all the gifts and expenses that proceed it. My wife and I have been dying for new phones and have had an upgrade since May and another since July to burn through.

Enter this Best Buy deal. $99.99. Free shipping and $50 gift certificate. I wasn't going to keep the Quick Window case, anyway. From reviews it seemed mediocre and not very protective. A nice case is about $30-50. So if I would normally pay for a fancy case, I figure this deal is like $50 for the phone and $50 for a Ballistic tri-layer case. $50 for a tri-band flagship phone is ridiculous. No One Up payments, keep the old Everything plan, and even if in a year you aren't happy, I have a feeling Sprint will be willing to offer One Up halfway through the contract when it is available here to get you into the more profitable My Way plan, if not, you can do Upgrade Now.

That is my take on it. Your area is getting upgraded right now. It will get better in 6 months or less. It just seems like it to me. You can get this great deal on a $50 phone, basically. I say do it, if it were me (I did).

The bestbuy deal is by far the cheapest route but there is no guarantee that Sprints network will be so great in the next 6 months around here. There could be more supply shortages, more backhaul issues etc.

helf.jpg

AJ

• Like 6

The bestbuy deal is by far the cheapest route but there is no guarantee that Sprints network will be so great in the next 6 months around here. There could be more supply shortages, more backhaul issues etc.

I'd say there's some pretty good guaranties that the network will be better in 6 months - or sooner. Even at this stage, the Florida markets are still pumping out upgrades better than most markets. You will most certainly see 800 CDMA, and likely 800 LTE on any LTE enabled sites by then. And most sites, even the ones that are still waiting, should be LTE enabled. In 6 months, we'll only be a few months away from NV 1.0 nearing completion, and we should be seeing NV 2.0 in full swing. 

I think the G2 is your best option if you need a new phone now(ish). I can't speak for your area, I don't know it, but it from what I've heard it seems the latest EVO LTE update has improved somewhat on LTE connections. Perhaps that will help tide you over as well?

I'd say there's some pretty good guaranties that the network will be better in 6 months - or sooner. Even at this stage, the Florida markets are still pumping out upgrades better than most markets. You will most certainly see 800 CDMA, and likely 800 LTE on any LTE enabled sites by then. And most sites, even the ones that are still waiting, should be LTE enabled. In 6 months, we'll only be a few months away from NV 1.0 nearing completion, and we should be seeing NV 2.0 in full swing.

I think the G2 is your best option if you need a new phone now(ish). I can't speak for your area, I don't know it, but it from what I've heard it seems the latest EVO LTE update has improved somewhat on LTE connections. Perhaps that will help tide you over as well?

I preordered the white G2 because the guy at tmobile lied to me. They haven't even started there LTE rollout in Ocala yet and he said they won't be finished with Ocala until the end of the first quarter. By then Sprints upgrades will be way more complete so I in this for the long run. Thanks for the advice though. I almost made the wrong decision.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

• Like 1