Everything 800mhz (1xA, LTE, coverage, timeline, etc)

I was looking for a technical answer.

There isn't a technical problem so there is no technical answer.  The answer is Iphone users paid Apple to say no for them on apps such as Sensorly.  It provides them a more fluid and safe experience.

• Like 2

I was looking for a technical answer.

Apple will not allow sensorly to access the hardware (mainly GPS and other documentational stuff) information it needs. Nothing technical about that. It's Apple being Apple and not allowing apps they don't like.

• Like 2

Lol, those are the times I wish I had my old Android phone so I can flash a different PRL.

Real wireless network nerds do not use iPhones.

;)

AJ

Speak for yourself thankyouverymuch. ;)

Yeah, it sucks that they restrict certain things, but the trade offs with security without virus software, privacy and the like to some are worth it.

I think I was reading somewhere in this thread that the iPhone 5's latest PRL 51096 supports 1X800 so today at my mom's shop in Chicago where you can get 5 bars outside and no service inside I did the "ultimate" test for the iPhone and first initiated a call and walked towards the center of the building with it and it held the call clear just fine showing 3 bars (-88 Db approx) (previous to the iPhones ability to connect to CDMA 800 the call would have dropped by then) 

Then after I confirmed it was working fine I took it down to the basement, (where Sprint PCS signal is completely hopeless) and found myself holding the call but it getting choppy. Signal was fluctuating between -91 to 101 Db's. I initially wasn't convinced I was on SMR with the iPhone 5 until I took my GS3 down there because on my GS3 I can hold a very clear call with about -90 Db, but my GS3 was getting choppy just like the iPhone. Unfortunately I have NO idea how I'm supposed to confirm what band the iPhone 5 was actually using because in the engineering menu all the fields were blank while idle or in a call, but after doing the same tests with my GS3 I'm almost certain it was on SMR because my GS3 was for sure, and performance was nearly equal. 

Now assuming that the iPhone 5 was really on SMR 800 the performance was slightly worse then the GS3, It dropped the call two times aside from the call getting very choppy, while the GS3 would get choppy but not drop the call. iPhone 5 dropped the call around -103 Db. GS3 stayed connected at -103. 

• Like 1

The iPhone is on a unique special PRL to provide a different 800SMR experience than what Android phones do.  Android phones will scan for 800SMR first then PCS second with both being on the same priority level.  Iphones will scan for PCS first and only scan for 800SMR if the PCS signal is lost as 800SMR is on a lower priority.  If a 800SMR connection is made the Iphone will actively scan for a PCS connection to release the 800SMR one.  The Iphone will basically only use it when in situations such an interior or a building but the Android will use it all the time even on the street with excellent PCS signals.  

Lol, those are the times I wish I had my old Android phone so I can flash a different PRL.

Real wireless network nerds do not use iPhones.

;)

AJ

Speak for yourself thankyouverymuch. ;)

Yeah, it sucks that they restrict certain things, but the trade offs with security without virus software, privacy and the like to some are worth it.

Really? ...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

The iPhone is on a unique special PRL to provide a different 800SMR experience than what Android phones do.  Android phones will scan for 800SMR first then PCS second with both being on the same priority level.  Iphones will scan for PCS first and only scan for 800SMR if the PCS signal is lost as 800SMR is on a lower priority.  If a 800SMR connection is made the Iphone will actively scan for a PCS connection to release the 800SMR one.  The Iphone will basically only use it when in situations such an interior or a building but the Android will use it all the time even on the street with excellent PCS signals.  

I'm curious as to why it had to be that way with the iPhone. I did know that when I did my testing, I forgot to mention that in my above post. I read that in one of the more recent posts, what you said. 

It was interesting, I don't feel like it ever let go of SMR inside the building, but I'd hope that it wouldn't considering it would've most likely dropped the call if it did so perhaps the threshold is at least somewhat high before it decides to just go and jump back on PCS? I did notice for about the past month that when calling that phone while it's in that building that calls have been going through right away and getting answered promptly, where as before it'd either be awhile before a call went though or it'd just go to voicemail. 

I'm glad I don't have a Sprint iP5, today while horsing with it at home the darn thing was constantly hunting between 3 bars of 3G and 1-2 bars of LTE. It has been doing that ever since the leaves grew back on the trees for the season. My GS3 drops LTE maybe once or twice a day in the house currently. 

But those are not the primary concerns of wireless *network* nerds.  Those sound like the priorities of phone enthusiasts or even average citizens.

AJ

• Like 4

A lot of what Apple blocks has nothing to do with your security, it has everything to do with controlling your experience and tailoring you to an unchanging experience you get too familiar with. I have many friends with iPhone that are sick of apple, and tried several Android phones, but cant shake iOS because they are not tech geeks, and are overly familiar with the product. They don't care about what it can't do, they only focus on what it can do. Android people are opposite. They say, yea, this is cool, but how about we try XYZ.

Look at the ability to change your keyboard on android vs iOS. They force you to like what you get, and before you know it, you are stuck like glue to the OS and then sometimes, even a fan boy is born.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

• Like 1

A lot of what Apple blocks has nothing to do with your security, it has everything to do with controlling your experience and tailoring you to an unchanging experience you get too familiar with. I have many friends with iPhone that are sick of apple, and tried several Android phones, but cant shake iOS because they are not tech geeks, and are overly familiar with the product. They don't care about what it can't do, they only focus on what it can do. Android people are opposite. They say, yea, this is cool, but how about we try XYZ.

Look at the ability to change your keyboard on android vs iOS. They force you to like what you get, and before you know it, you are stuck like glue to the OS and then sometimes, even a fan boy is born.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

my new favorite windows 8 add points out this on tv  http://www.pcworld.com/article/2039629/microsoft-turns-siri-against-apple-in-hilarious-new-windows-8-ad.html

Sent from my Galaxy S3

unless you happen to like the choices they have made. In which case, it doesn't detract from your experience at all.

You might like the choices they make for you, but what does it matter when you don't know any different? Then, you want to know something different, but because you are not a techie, or dont have a desire to learn something new, you are a sheep in their pasture.

There is no arguing Apple makes great products, but the turn off just as many people as they turn on with their "security" and "experience" restrictions on how you use your device.

Case and point, the lack of sensorly.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

• Like 1

You might like the choices they make for you, but what does it matter when you don't know any different? Then, you want to know something different, but because you are not a techie, or dont have a desire to learn something new, you are a sheep in their pasture.

There is no arguing Apple makes great products, but the turn off just as many people as they turn on with their "security" and "experience" restrictions on how you use your device.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

As a good friend of mine puts it...  "I'm dumb as box of rocks when it comes to anything technical.   The Iphone is a phone for idiots like myself."  Now give the guy a four wheeler that's been sunk in the river and he'll have it running better than when it was rolling off the showroom floor.  

There's a place for the Iphone of course but with many people realizing that are paying to be locked down they are quickly dropping the phone in place for something else.  Then combine that with the hardware always being 1-2 years behind the curve, it's no wonder I never see any new requests for setting up corporate things for Iphones at work anymore.

• Like 2

As a good friend of mine puts it...  "I'm dumb as box of rocks when it comes to anything technical.   The Iphone is a phone for idiots like myself."  Now give the guy a four wheeler that's been sunk in the river and he'll have it running better than when it was rolling off the showroom floor.  

There's a place for the Iphone of course but with many people realizing that are paying to be locked down they are quickly dropping the phone in place for something else.  Then combine that with the hardware always being 1-2 years behind the curve, it's no wonder I never see any new requests for setting up corporate things for Iphones at work anymore.

I went with the Iphone 5 in December. I regret it so much. It is a great phone; however, it does not do all the things I want to do. I don't want to jailbreak it. I can upgrade again in December and I will get a triband phone. whatever it is.  I plan on handing this down to my wife.

• Like 2

Sent from my Galaxy S3

A pretty one-sided view of it, but it's a valid viewpoint nonetheless.

Just as it's valid for anyone to prefer iOS to android based on merits rather than stupidity or ignorance.  

Now can we get back to the topic at hand of 800Mhz 'eh?

Gee, another thread in which the S4GRU staff denigrates their sponsors based on the device they use  :rolleyes:

There is nothing technically preventing Sensorly from releasing an app. There is a thriving jailbreak community (saurik, founder of Cydia, estimates roughly 10% of iPhones - thats many millions) which provides APIs and unfettered device level access to developers who wish to circumvent the App Store restrictions. It is such a large market in fact there are developers whose sole income is sales of jailbreak apps. 

Not everyone who chooses an iPhone is a moron, rube, technophobe, or whatever. I would simply like a smartphone that doesn't require me to be logged in to Google to enable its full functionality. I'm not paying $200+ for a device so that Page, Brin, Schmidt & Co can creep on my every GPS location, text message, phone call, and URL I visit. Through a combination of iOS opt-outs and jailbreak tweaks I can be completely assured of my privacy on an iPhone. The same cannot be said for Android.

• Like 2

Gee, another thread in which the S4GRU staff denigrates their sponsors based on the device they use :rolleyes:

There is nothing technically preventing Sensorly from releasing an app. There is a thriving jailbreak community (saurik, founder of Cydia, estimates roughly 10% of iPhones - thats many millions) which provides APIs and unfettered device level access to developers who wish to circumvent the App Store restrictions. It is such a large market in fact there are developers whose sole income is sales of jailbreak apps.

Not everyone who chooses an iPhone is a moron, rube, technophobe, or whatever. I would simply like a smartphone that doesn't require me to be logged in to Google to enable its full functionality. I'm not paying $200+ for a device so that Page, Brin, Schmidt & Co can creep on my every GPS location, text message, phone call, and URL I visit. Through a combination of iOS opt-outs and jailbreak tweaks I can be completely assured of my privacy on an iPhone. The same cannot be said for Android.

Instead of attacking S4GRU staff, have you wondered why such knowledgeable people (like Robert, AJ, digiblur) all prefer Android?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 4

iOS vs android conversations never end amicably not to mention it is totally off topic to this thread so lets get back on topic.  Further more, showing direct lack of respect for staff is totally unacceptible, if you have an issue there is a repot botton for that so use it.

Gee, another thread in which the S4GRU staff denigrates their sponsors based on the device they use  :rolleyes:

Oh, come on.  In good fun, I teased *another staff member* about his use of an iPhone.  Because of its locked down, walled garden nature, iPhone cannot do many of the things that wireless network nerds do, such as use Sensorly mapping, swap PRLs, have fully functioning engineering screens, etc.  That does not make anyone who chooses an iPhone a "moron, rube, technophobe, or whatever" -- those are your words.  But it does take away from their wireless network nerd-dom, as they prioritize less the things that wireless network nerds prioritize most.  In the end, iPhone users need to buck up and be less sensitive.

As for worrying greatly about "Page, Brin, Schmidt & Co" mining your data, that is flat out paranoia, the realm of the tinfoil hat crowd.

AJ

• Like 6

As for worrying greatly about "Page, Brin, Schmidt & Co" mining your data, that is flat out paranoia, the realm of the tinfoil hat crowd.

A lot of the ads in my Gmail are chosen based on the contents of my inbox. Just saying.  ;)

A lot of the ads in my Gmail are chosen based on the contents of my inbox. Just saying.  ;)

No way!  That must be new.  It could not have been the fully disclosed situation for years now.  Google must be creating a dossier on me personally.  Oh, I feel like my privacy has been violated!

;)

AJ

I don't necessarily prefer Android, myself. However, it is the only OS currently now that meet my needs. And I don't think iOS, BB or WP will be pursuing the wireless nerd crowd anytime soon. We definitely are a niche market.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 2

I don't necessarily prefer Android, myself. However, it is the only OS currently now that meet my needs. And I don't think iOS, BB or WP will be pursuing the wireless nerd crowd anytime soon. We definitely are a niche market.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

A niche market with 75% market share

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta