Sensorly - New market deployements

Any device that had the 606xx PRLs will not use the 800SMR. I believe it was the 21xxx PRLS that the EVO 3D and I think one other phone had it (can't remember) did have the 800SMR scans in them but they were set to a lower priority than the PCS scans. I haven't seen a recent copy of that PRL range though as most of the techy people that could pull those PRLs have moved on to other devices.

Even the 55008 PRL the new Photon and iPhone5 runs does not have 800SMR either. That's a puzzling one.

The master has spoken.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I just plotted a bunch of solid purple in an area with no LTE. Took my phone/Sensorly some 20 seconds of driving with "4G" (but packets couldn't be sent) before it realized that I drove out of range. :(

I find that you will see bright green on the Sensorly map for your house if your phone connects to your Airave and/or Wi-Fi while you are running Sensorly.

Seems to definitely be the case. I can always stop mapping before my phone detects the Airave, and start mapping after I've disconnected from the Airave, but it'll still collect data with the app open when I'm at home.. on the Airave.

Going to try setting Sensorly's contribution level to "not allowed", such that it doesn't auto-collect when the app is open (but should still collect during Map Trip, which I always do.)

edit: nope, "no contribution" means no automatic contribution AND no manual contribution. sigh..

to reiterate, i'd like:

1) manual start/stop of data collection; the app can be used without collecting data necessarily. (to look at maps and stuff, perhaps)

2) option to manual start/stop data upload

3) option to upload data in a more obvious (non-automatic) fashion.

4) (very wishlist) an option to disable auto-upload when connected to mobile hotspot WiFi (as determined by Android API.) not really necessary if #2 is implemented, though.

sorry for the long demands, but I hope you'll consider them to promote better UX.

Austin with the pound for pound most contributors.

Not just quantity, but quality too. ;)

In all but one site, our Austin members found and plotted them on Sensorly before we even found out about them from Sprint.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

• Like 1

Not just quantity, but quality too. ;)

In all but one site, our Austin members found and plotted them on Sensorly before we even found out about them from Sprint.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Wait until we find some lte love in Columbus, OH. We going to blow those maps up...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

There is an iPhone app, Apple just doesn't allow it to collect data.

Then why is RootMetrics allowed in the store? It performs the same actions- tests signal strength and/or data speeds and uploads it to a map.

• Like 1

Then why is RootMetrics allowed in the store? It performs the same actions- tests signal strength and/or data speeds and uploads it to a map.

What RootMetrics doesn't do is say if the signal is LTE/3G/o, which is data Sensorly wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What RootMetrics doesn't do is say if the signal is LTE/3G/o' date=' which is data Sensorly wants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote']

Indeed. iOS never states technology type. Always says Cellular, no matter the technology.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

I would take that over no reporting at all. It could just automatically be logged as 2G/3G.

I though the point is to track LTE signal locations and strengths? If RootMetrics can't tell the difference between 3G and LTE, why bother with it? Wouldn't that be worse than nothing?

I though the point is to track LTE signal locations and strengths? If RootMetrics can't tell the difference between 3G and LTE, why bother with it? Wouldn't that be worse than nothing?

I would prefer being able to log signal strength and having it inserted as 2G/3G data then having no data from iPhones at all.

I would prefer being able to log signal strength and having it inserted as 2G/3G data then having no data from iPhones at all.

It may be just me, but I have a deep distaste for something knowingly presented as what it is not.

• Like 1

Really? I disagree.. if I'm looking at a data source--whether it is a Sensorly map or something totally unrelated--I like knowing the data is accurate. There is no reason to map it as 2G/3G if there is no way of knowing if that's what the signal is. Plus, 2G and 3G mapped in different colors on Sensorly, at least for Sprint.

• Like 1

RootMetrics tracks the up/down speeds as well as signal strength. At the end of the day, I care more about my connection speed than what specific technology my connection runs at.

• Like 2

RootMetrics tracks the up/down speeds as well as signal strength. At the end of the day, I care more about my connection speed than what specific technology my connection runs at.

I understand what you care about, but we are at S4GRU.com -- not SWhateverRU.com.

• Like 1

I understand what you care about, but we are at S4GRU.com -- not SWhateverRU.com.

But the vast majority of Sprint customers have 3G only phones. Also, this site is about Network Vision- the complete overhaul of all network technologies, meaning enchanced 3G performance and the addition of 4G LTE.

You know very well that this site has almost as many threads about 3G as it does 4G.

• Like 2

But the vast majority of Sprint customers have 3G only phones. Also, this site is about Network Vision- the complete overhaul of all network technologies, meaning enchanced 3G performance and the addition of 4G LTE.

You know very well that this site has almost as many threads about 3G as it does 4G.

Correct. Therefore, your idea of having 4G "...inserted as 2G/3G..." is inadequate, as people would not know if the tracked "enhanced 3G performance" was truly enhanced, or merely the result of 4G data pollution.

• Like 1

New to the thread here. Props to Sensorly for being part of S4GRU.

Love this app - it reminds me of Signal in the Cydia store in years gone by. I was using that app a couple years ago to view cell site data on AT&T. Although Signal did, at best, a mediocre job at triangulating the cell site's location and there were only like 2 other users in Austin. It was sloppy and wasn't very well implemented. Sensorly, however, is light years more advanced.. although it's 2-3 years late.

Signal was cool in theory, but it was soon abandoned after it came out. However, it was like $5 in the Cydia store. I overpaid, but not knowing how the app would be abandoned so soon, I hope the author is now using his proceeds to make legitimate apps like Sensorly and Rootmetrics. If not, go find him and add him to your team!!

I hope Sensorly does not meet the same fate. Apple users need to be more proactive about pushing Apple to loosen the restrictions on the field test API's. Write your reviews in the Apple App Store and let Apple know that consumers deserve better access to crowd-sourced coverage maps, and that developers need loosened API restrictions in this area. This will only benefit everyone and will help ensure the telecommunication companies are accountable.

If none of the above happens, I would definitely support a Cydia release of Sensorly and would also consider paying a small fee to support the developers to have functionalty similar to Android users.

EDIT (doug526): took out fanboy comment

IMG_0041 (Mobile).PNG

IMG_0042 (Mobile).PNG

IMG_0043 (Mobile).PNG

IMG_0055 (Mobile).PNG

IMG_1008 (Mobile).PNG

Sensorly' date=' however, is light years more advanced.. although it's 2-3 years late.[/quote']

I have been using Sensorly for almost two years.

I have been using Sensorly for almost two years.

In the context I am referring, it is in regards to the iPhone ecosystem. And even then, they're still not doing the functionality that Signal / Cydia had. For the few people here who have iPhones, please write neutral/positive reviews in the App Store for Sensorly and please encourage Apple to open up their API.