Sensorly - New market deployements

• 3 weeks later...

It's there but doesn't work well with CDMA voice networks. We're trying to get it to work.

If you look at GSM maps, you will see a little.

Any form of timeline on this? Just wondering if its a priority or something that may at some point show up, but also may not.

Any form of timeline on this? Just wondering if its a priority or something that may at some point show up, but also may not.

Sorry, can't make any promises right now. But we definitely want to fix it.

Sensorly is amazing. I will be looking at a map and connected 4G on my phone, see that I'm coming up on a stretch of road that doesn't have 4G and whammo my phone goes to 3G. I have also looked at areas and been able to map use sensorly and map them as 4G.

Keep up the good work.

Lee

• Like 1

Sensorly is amazing. I will be looking at a map and connected 4G on my phone, see that I'm coming up on a stretch of road that doesn't have 4G and whammo my phone goes to 3G. I have also looked at areas and been able to map.

Thanks Lee, appreciate it !

The latest Android version makes it possible to share snapshots of the picture easily, so you now you can brag too : it's the top right icon on the map screen.

I am absolutely fascinated with this app. However a small glitch appeared in the latest version. When I open coverage maps I am immediately taken to Manhattan Island. I can easily get back home by pressing the compass icon in the bottom right corner. The map resets back to Manhattan every time I rotate my phone.

I am absolutely fascinated with this app. However a small glitch appeared in the latest version. When I open coverage maps I am immediately taken to Manhattan Island. I can easily get back home by pressing the compass icon in the bottom right corner. The map resets back to Manhattan every time I rotate my phone.

Same thing happening to me now all of a sudden.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Indeed. iOS never states technology type. Always says Cellular, no matter the technology.

Robert via Samsung Note II using Forum Runner

Obviously though Apple can tell if it's "o", "3G" or "LTE" as they are notifying the user that this has changed by that top status line on the device. So they're using unpublished APIs no doubt.

There are other ways though: Maybe it could go by speed of connection? You wouldn't expect to see a 30 megabit 3G signal but would assume that was LTE. Maybe on T-Mobile but not Sprint.

Anecdotally I've seen up to 6 megabit 3G signals on the old AT&T network last year but since moving to Sprint I have not yet seen a 3G signal any higher than 2.8 megabit. Maybe 2.93 was the very highest.

So perhaps to be safe assume that the speed of 1-3 megabits is 3G, and above presume LTE.

To nail it down If there are ways to determine the hardware state of the radio (can this be done?) to see if the LTE portions are running?

Another thought - is there any way to change a software state based on what is being displayed on the screen? "If the pixels are filled at this location on the screen we know the device is running an LTE connection"?

Not as accurate as having a simple "If Radio State = LTE then...." but it's a way of making it go perhaps.

New to the thread here. Props to Sensorly for being part of S4GRU.

Love this app - it reminds me of Signal in the Cydia store in years gone by. I was using that app a couple years ago to view cell site data on AT&T. Although Signal did, at best, a mediocre job at triangulating the cell site's location and there were only like 2 other users in Austin. It was sloppy and wasn't very well implemented. Sensorly, however, is light years more advanced.. although it's 2-3 years late.

Signal was cool in theory, but it was soon abandoned after it came out. However, it was like $5 in the Cydia store. I overpaid, but not knowing how the app would be abandoned so soon, I hope the author is now using his proceeds to make legitimate apps like Sensorly and Rootmetrics. If not, go find him and add him to your team!!

I hope Sensorly does not meet the same fate. Apple users need to be more proactive about pushing Apple to loosen the restrictions on the field test API's. Write your reviews in the Apple App Store and let Apple know that consumers deserve better access to crowd-sourced coverage maps, and that developers need loosened API restrictions in this area. This will only benefit everyone and will help ensure the telecommunication companies are accountable.

If none of the above happens, I would definitely support a Cydia release of Sensorly and would also consider paying a small fee to support the developers to have functionalty similar to Android users.

EDIT (doug526): took out fanboy comment

Done - we'll see if the Apple censor machine removes my comment. I tried to be fair and balanced.

• Like 1

If I was a dev I wouldn't go out of my way due to Apple's ways. Sorry, you're just SOL until Apple changes their Nazi ways. Come to the light... it's ok. ;)

Sadly I have enough exposure to Android thru my workplace and have determined that something about the touch interface is incompatible with my skin. I can hardly type on them - it's like the chemistry in my skin/oil makeup doesn't allow me to type like a normal human. If I type "hi there" on an droid phone it comes out russian like "ceeakaeeopeeectate" or the like. It's bizarre. iPhone, no problemo.

• Like 1

Sadly I have enough exposure to Android thru my workplace and have determined that something about the touch interface is incompatible with my skin. I can hardly type on them - it's like the chemistry in my skin/oil makeup doesn't allow me to type like a normal human. If I type "hi there" on an droid phone it comes out russian like "ceeakaeeopeeectate" or the like. It's bizarre. iPhone, no problemo.

Wait, did you say you wear makeup? LOL

LOL. Good one.

When I pick up the iPhone and open Sensorly, the ghost of Jobs comes behind me and slaps me on the back of the head. And whispers "Facebook is better for you."

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

When I used Android, I didn't care for the built in keyboard either. Swiftkey works really well though as a replacement.

iPhone doesn't let you use 3rd party keyboards, but I love that it has an autoreplace feature like my old blackberry did. They hide the feature in General | Keyboard | Shortcuts. Really handy.

I think that's a case of fanboyism gone too damn far...

Anyway the next version can have the home screen rotate to landscape mode? When it's in my car dock its annoying that it forces portrait when the app starts. Night mode wouldn't be too bad either :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2

I love this app, use it daily. Got LTE in Arlington when I first got my EVO but the tower was never on. Now I get LTE everyday but the speeds are...ehh still around 3g speeds. Hope the work keeps coming along(:

Sent from my EVO using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

before I updated my evo to this latest version of the phone software, sensorly would count both 2g/3g and 4g now it is only counting 4g connections? Is anyone else seeing this?

That is the way it should work as the EVO LTE can't really be connected to EV and LTE at the same time. It shouldn't reported as 1x either as that would be just wrong.

Sent from my little Note2