Sensorly - New market deployements

hello' date=' just to be clear, on the iphone5 , i ran a speed test using the sensorly app, but i dont see the LTE connection that i got on the sensorly online map. does this map my tests on the iphone 5?[/quote']

No. The iOS Sensorly app does not collect data that they can show on their maps. It is a limitation by Apple. Only Android app crowd sources data.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

No. The iOS Sensorly app does not collect data that they can show on their maps. It is a limitation by Apple. Only Android app crowd sources data.

So what's the point of the test?

Just do you can see the throughput yourself. IMO, Sensorly should collect the iPhone data from speed tests and use it to supplement Android data, but right now, RootMetrics is the only app to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And also you can see and access the Sensorly coverage maps that all your Android friends created for you.

• Like 1

IMO, Sensorly should collect the iPhone data from speed tests and use it to supplement Android data, but right now, RootMetrics is the only app to do that.

Bzzzt. Oh, I am sorry, that is wrong. The correct answer is: Android Sensorly > iOS Sensorly. Many times over.

AJ

• Like 1

Bzzzt. Oh, I am sorry, that is wrong. The correct answer is: Android Sensorly > iOS Sensorly. Many times over.

AJ

What's with the hostility?

Sensorly for iOS is a -0- so obviously Android Sensorly is infinitely superior.

Even so, everyday on this board, we have some iOS user trying to help out and asking why their speed test data isn't uploaded to Sensorly. Yeah, it's not the exact same data but still -- the iPhone 5 connects reliably to LTE and I think the data the iPhone can provide would be interesting to you analysts.

In any event, Sensorly has indicated that it's not their priority, which is fine, and I appreciate the Android users who are doing the testing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 3

What's with the hostility?

Sensorly for iOS is a -0- so obviously Android Sensorly is infinitely superior.

Yep. I apologize. I had your previous post backward. For some odd reason, I read it to mean that Android data should supplement iOS data, but you meant just the opposite. My mistake.

AJ

• Like 2

Yep. I apologize. I had your previous post backward. For some odd reason, I read it to mean that Android data should supplement iOS data, but you meant just the opposite. My mistake.

AJ

Cool, thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Maybe the iOS solution is manual. Ask the user the number of bars and LTE/3G/. - seems kludgy, but would get better participation than a Cydia solution.

Maybe the iOS solution is manual. Ask the user the number of bars and LTE/3G/. - seems kludgy, but would get better participation than a Cydia solution.

Are you certain that the "bars" display is even based on LTE signal strength on the iPhone? It could be based on the concurrent 1x signal.

Are you certain that the "bars" display is even based on LTE signal strength on the iPhone? It could be based on the concurrent 1x signal.

We did some testing and we're almost certain it is LTE. The iPhone only has one antenna, so it makes sense that it can't measure 1x while connected to LTE.

When the phone is connected to 4G, we only add the 4G data points to the map because the phone doesn't tell us exactly the radio G technology (1x, EVDO 0, EVDO A, EVDO B)

I am not sure how other apps do it but they have no problems reading whether the connection is 1xRTT or EVDO.. And even eHRPD for that matter.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

We did some testing and we're almost certain it is LTE. The iPhone only has one antenna, so it makes sense that it can't measure 1x while connected to LTE.

Correction: the iPhone has two antennas. Both are used consurrently for Rx. Only one can be used at a time for Tx. I would bet (but can't test) that if you were downloading something on EvDO or LTE and a call or text came in, the data session would stop but you'd still get the call, because the 1x network is passively connected/receiving data.

Correction: the iPhone has two antennas. Both are used consurrently for Rx. Only one can be used at a time for Tx. I would bet (but can't test) that if you were downloading something on EvDO or LTE and a call or text came in, the data session would stop but you'd still get the call, because the 1x network is passively connected/receiving data.

Yes, that's how it works,

When you check Field Test, only the LTE info is available and it appears to approximate the signal strength bars.

Yep just like the old school phones. Hated that when I was downloading or streaming something and a text came in.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

• Like 1

While using the app on my HTC EVO 4G LTE, when clicking the report button it searches then says error. Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? If you need any more let me know....

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

While using the app on my HTC EVO 4G LTE, when clicking the report button it searches then says error. Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong? If you need any more let me know....

Known bug.

• Like 1

Known bug.

Thanks, just started using the app because a lot of my 3g isn't mapped... Getting things ready so I can have 3g mapped before I get lte in 2013.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I've run sensorly several times here both at work and home and made more than one trip from work to home with sensorly running during the trip, and practically nothing has shown up on the map. I have a strong data connection everywhere i'm at, and I see it supposedly sending messages, but I've got nothing more than a single faint spot to show up at home, and that's it (i probably had the phone sitting there running the app for a half hour or something). I hear people talking about how they drive around and map all the time, but this just doesn't seem to work for me?

Running a stock GS3 rooted.