Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

There is a question I've been wanted to ask, over the years verizon and at&t have been building their lte network. Its like sprint just sat back and watch, I wonder why they waited so long and now they have to play catch up.

There is a question I've been wanted to ask, over the years verizon and at&t have been building their lte network. Its like sprint just sat back and watch, I wonder why they waited so long and now they have to play catch up.

Sprint had WIMAX but it didn't succeed as they had hopped, then their deal with lightsquear to build their LTE failed so they had to make their own LTE network and Sprint doesn't have the resources Verizon and AT&T have, and sadly they don't make really good decisions (Nextel is one example)

They didn't sit back and watch, they have been planning this out almost since Verizon first started deploying LTE. That was about the time it was starting to become obvious that Clear and WiMax wasn't going to work out as they had hoped. It takes a long time to plan out a complete network overhaul. This has been years in the making.

You can look at it how you want but I am glad to see them do it right instead of just bolting on one piece and running. I am really glad to see Sprint swap out everything to new tech.

Sent from a little old Note 2

• Like 1

But man it makes it so hard to walk out of my front door every morning,look over at that new tech (yes the tower is that close) and look down at my phone to see 3G,run a speed test and get under 50kbps. Just turn it on already.Ill be more than happy to alpha,beta,whatevera test.

Why are they taking so long to turn on the upgraded towers? I know there are regulations and stuff but it's been a long time since they finished the upgrade.

Could be many things. Backhaul not ready. Core not ready for us. It's not as simple as just slap up some new panels and rock and roll. They actually want it to work and want to minimize passing anyone off.

Just passed by 10 Westbank sites on the way home. Bupkis, nuthin, zilch, zero. Only Westwego and Belle Chasse have NV gear to my knowledge. Didn't hit the two on backside of Baratatia, maybe ill pass there tomorrow after the game.

Ok so I finally brought my good camera out to my (being rebuilt) house in laplace. These are images of the tower on I-10 close to hwy 51.

The new panels.

IMG_6684.JPG

One more view of the panels...

IMG_6687.JPG

And another from underneath

IMG_6693.JPG

And here are the boxes, there are 2 others but I believe these are the new ones.

IMG_6691.JPG

I have about 6 more pics like these if any more pics are wanted by anyone.

This location was flooded by hurricane Isaac and I believe that is the main reason why this tower has been upgraded. Previously the data speeds on this tower were terrible and it hardly ever got any attention. Now the speeds are significantly better but I have not been able to pick up anything other than 3g up to this point.

I was trying hard the other day as when I drove by there was a truck sitting by the entrance to the site (think it was an Ericson truck) but nada.

• Like 1

Woohoo another crazy person taking zoomed in pics of panels. I have tons of pictures of sites before they got upgraded too.

Even after all these pictures we still have people saying they don't know what to look for.

I am really surprised we haven't had more New Orleans sitings.

Quite possibly. Not sure about the GPRS as Sprint does not have any GPRS roaming in the US that I am aware of.

Lately at home (like right now) my usual 2-3 bars of Sprint 3G switches to 5 bars of Extended 3G and sometimes GPRS. I wonder if this has anything to do with upgrades..

Coo22 must be thinking of the 1x data circle. It's for 2G data. 1xRTT on CDMA carriers, and GPRS on GSM carriers.

Coo22 must be thinking of the 1x data circle. It's for 2G data. 1xRTT on CDMA carriers, and GPRS on GSM carriers.

Quite possibly. Not sure about the GPRS as Sprint does not have any GPRS roaming in the US that I am aware of.

Yes! Sorry about that. Couldn't think of what it was called.

On the network vision cities list, it has always said anticipated launch jan. 2013. So are they testing in jan. or will we see testing before December ends.

Not sure. They have been delayed a bit though since that press release came out.

Spotted some NV gear at the site on Old Hammond close to Flannery. I took the photos with my phone, but you can definitely see the new panels. I can't wait till some LTE gets turned on!

qudu9e8a.jpg

de7aqeva.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

• Like 4

Very cool! Nice find! Make sure to send Robert a PM with the site# and links to this post so he can mark it as in progress. Will have to put it on my list to go photograph when I go take pics of the Sherwood and Florida one.