Network Vision/LTE - New Orleans Market

Slimboutit

I'm so happy for you all in the NOLA market. I think I'm just as excited as you all are. The Red Stick is next!!!

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Here are some pictures from 5 Metairie sites that I believe are in process/complete. I went to the same 5 today looking for LTE, and nothing yet. Great to hear 510 is up though!

Two I do not know if it is Sprint for sure, as I do not see multiple RRU's per sector, or otherwise can't tell.

One is Murphy Dr. @ Transcontinental (which I posted about last week, but maybe these pictures before, during, and after can help) and the other is Live Oak @ Orpheum site.

The others (Lisa @ Vets and Haring @ Vets) are already identified as being in process/complete, but I had some pictures anyway.

Division @ W. Esplanade seems to be all wrapped up as well.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxTSAkTvC2B9VkFBVU9DWVVvaUk/edit

Check out the pics and let me know what you think about those 2 questionable ones.

Kevin

Division @ W Esplanade 1 - ahhh I was wondering when someone was going to post one of these. One of the sectors has a different type of antenna. I'm betting this sector is pointing towards the other site that is very close to this one. It's a very narrow beamwidth antenna as in a defined signal to one area. Also another give away is the legacy antenna on this sector has the "shields" on it. Nextel is on the top rack. AT&T is on the bottom with the LTE solution in the middle with nothing hooked up to the PCS/AWS side.

Division @ W Esplanade 2 - hmm.. I can see the different sector panel a little better. I see 6 cables going in though. Add this panel type to look for especially in dense areas.

Murphy @ Transcontinental - AT&T at the top. Easy to spot that if you look at my thread show AT&T stuff. Looks like Sprint is below this with only legacy equipment.

Live Oak @ Orpheum - Sprint NV with RRU's and the narrow beamwidth antennas. Probably 33 degrees to create a small lobe of coverage due to close towers.

Lisa @ Veterans - no mistaking the Sprint RRUs there

Haring @ Veterans - kinda looks like 5 RRU's per panel there but I think I'm seeing the combiner sandwiched inbetween.

I'm so happy for you all in the NOLA market. I think I'm just as excited as you all are. The Red Stick is next!!!

Robert via Samsung Note II via Tapatalk

Made an excuse to leave the house and drove two sites over to the NV'd one. Snuck the wife's S3 out the house as well so I could check it with two phones. Nothing yet.

We're ready! Fire it up Ericsson! ;)

• Like 2

With the lte has anyone done any internet browsing or download an app to really see how fast it was?

Should be like you are on wifi. To be honest anything over 10 is way overkill for a phone.

-- "Sensorly or it didn't happen!"

• Like 1

Should be like you are on wifi. To be honest anything over 10 is way overkill for a phone.

In everyday use I notice no difference between 3G and 4G. The only time I notice is when uploading a photo or file to Dropbox. Picture heavy websites load the pictures quicker, but usually I still use the mobile site for most websites (less ads on mobile view).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

4G will feel way different from the 3G we have here, no more buffering on pandora, videos that never load, website thats take forever, fail uploads, apps that reject it. Im sure we will se a lot of difference between 3G and 4G. Now we can put that unlimited data to work.

• Like 2

It will be a huge change for us though. Most of the time you can't even use Pandora since the speeds are so bad. You can forget YouTube or anything like that. I sit in my office with almost perfect -60dbm signal and other values that make up the signal, yet Pandora will only play for 10 seconds at a time then wait another minute, play 10 seconds. I usually just force my phone to 1x only to get faster speeds. Can't wait for the upgrade so I can actually use my phone again.

• Like 4

Can someone tell me what the default preferred network setting should be for the *#*#4636#*#*?

I stupidly changed to LTE only without checking to see what it was set to before I changed it and would really like to make sure I put it back to the correct setting.

Thanks

I went out to the Power/Vets tower yesterday and got into the test menu on my LTEvo. I set it to LTE only, turned radio Off then Back on, then switched it to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto, then radio off then on, and when It was reconnecting just for a second it went to LTE for network Type then back to CDMA ePHRD. It never actually connected to LTE but it tried to; leads me to believe LTE is active but being blocked. I got it to repeat this reaction several times but never long enough to take a screen shot.

• Like 2

CDMA/LTE would be the default setting.

When you put in the dialer command *#*#4636#*#* there is no cdma/LTE option. There is a CDMA, LTE option but when I choose that all I get is 1x signal. The setting I have it on now is getting really poor speeds so if anyone with an EVO LTE could open this command and see what their preferred network setting is that would be much appreciated.

Eta: never mind. Mkenny gave me the answer right above my post! Thanks man.

• Like 1

it may have been an ugly day for the Saints, but it was a beautiful day to hunt towers.

https://docs.google....0NzN1Via1U/edit

If I put **, then I think it has NV.

If I put *?, then I think I see NV, but I could have the wrong tower, like AT&T.

If I put xx, then I'm not sure why a tower is still up there, it looks inoperable.

#15 I couldn't find on Google Maps, but then I thought I saw it on the Tulane Med garage. But that didn't match the map, then I noticed a few panels on the UNO building a couple of blocks away. So I'm assuming Tulane has AT&T. If Sprint is on UNO building then that's more recent than the satellite image, which makes me wonder why I can't see RRU's.

#23 was in progress when I pulled up. You can sort of make out the legs of the guys working on it. They had a white truck with no markings, and a medium sized white trailer (no markings) they were towing. 2 in the tower, one in the cabin playing on his phone and picking his nose.

I based my searches off the Sprint Network map page.

The only ones Uptown I can't find are at churches (Sprint seems to like to hide them there) at Mater Dolorosa (S. Carrollton) and St. Stephen's (Camp & Gen Pershing just off Napoleon). The only one I knew about and missed was on Decatur in the FQ. Sorry, I know that's an important one too, but there was traffic distracting me with all the bowl game people in town.

Downtown, I can't find the panels by the Superdome and Poydras or St. Charles and Poydras. They may be up higher on a building than I'm seeing either in person or in Google Maps. Or just well hidden.

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on these to help confirm? Between Uptown, Downtown, Mid City, and Old Jefferson, there aren't many towers upgraded yet. Not sure we'll make it in time for Superbowl. Today I kept my travels below Causeway-ish, riverside of City Park Avenue and Gentilly Ave, and above Franklin on the East Bank.

Enjoy!

Edited by haasbat
  • Like 2

it may have been an ugly day for the Saints...

The Aints can be swept away in a hurricane or move to San Antonio for all I care. I would like to put a bounty on the Aints head for costing me at least $150 in the last regular season week of my pool.

AJ

Nice job on the pics! Can't wait to get on the computer and go through them.

That one you say is inoperable is a tower. It's one of those stealth ones and did its job at fooling you thinking it wasn't. There are others like it in New Orleans. I saw one by some apartments like that before.

I did see one that was ATT as you could tell the panels were wrong but I will go through your list as soon as I can.

Sprint never said they were trying to make it for the Super bowl. Only I saw was they said by the end of the year and they did it with the one tower. Not so much in some of the other cities they had on the list though.