Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

it's all about re-arranging spectrum.

I forgot that cable works off spectrum like cell phones do, my mistake. Like 5x5 LTE is faster than 5x5 WCDMA. I looked up docsis 3.1 and it looked like they could only do 1000/100 with out overselling it to high. Due to only being 10gbs down and one up to the node. But still that is cool they can do that with cable. Though I really think FTTH is the only way to go in the long run. P.S I think Centruy link your 100% right they are a D, My internet got cut off for 2 weeks and they just basely told me to hang up, it's fixed when it's fixed. Then even when it was "working" I never got the 7mbs I should have been getting later "upgraded" to 10 for free. It went on then off like a old light bulb. No matter what I did, they didn't care. So I went to TWC and good bye went them. I still have the POS modem they gave me, I told them if they wanted it back they would have to give me a box to ship it back or come get it. They did not care to do that, but did love getting there ETF fee that I had TWC pay for. Edited by 4ktvs

They did not care to do that, but did love getting there ETF fee that I had TWC pay for.

big update on the wake forest ftth front tonight on the website. it will make TWC look like 2 tin cans and a piece of string.

• Like 1

big update on the wake forest ftth front tonight on the website. it will make TWC look like 2 tin cans and a piece of string.

So time warner didn't get picked or did some one else step up to the plate? Also I wonder if I should call Verizon and tell them to fix there tower near the US 1/I 540 mall? The 4G speeds there 100% in the trash.

posted.

Now, as far as (goes):

So time warner didn't get picked or did some one else step up to the plate? Also I wonder if I should call Verizon and tell them to fix there tower near the US 1/I 540 mall? The 4G speeds there 100% in the trash.

I think you have pretty much answered your own question. Extremely busy area's such as malls, shopping districts, and especially with it being an on/off ramp for I-540, you have a LOT of people accessing the tower(s), and it is overwhelmed. This has become common for verizon as people are using their LTE iphones like they are going out of style (and they are).

As more and more wireless companies launch LTE in the area and spread out the customers, it will settle over time, and with ongoing tower/spectrum/backhaul upgrades.

posted.

Now, as far as (goes):

I think you have pretty much answered your own question. Extremely busy area's such as malls, shopping districts, and especially with it being an on/off ramp for I-540, you have a LOT of people accessing the tower(s), and it is overwhelmed. This has become common for verizon as people are using their LTE iphones like they are going out of style (and they are).

As more and more wireless companies launch LTE in the area and spread out the customers, it will settle over time, and with ongoing tower/spectrum/backhaul upgrades.

That's what I thought, but I think it's stupid for it to get 500kbs when that's what sprint 3G get's there and every one on sprint is unlimited and verizon is caped for the most part unless you have a unlimited plan like I do, but most don't.

Edit: I hope I can also sign up for any possible 1Gbs internet they may be doing. As much as I hated them before, I would be willing to give it a shot for $80 a month. Though from what I read it looked like they could give you 2Gbs with the lines and box's they are putting up or was I misreading it?

Edited by 4ktvs

That's what I thought, but I think it's stupid for it to get 500kbs when that's what sprint 3G get's there and every one on sprint is unlimited and verizon is caped for the most part unless you have a unlimited plan like I do, but most don't.

Edit: I hope I can also sign up for any possible 1Gbs internet they may be doing. As much as I hated them before, I would be willing to give it a shot for $80 a month. Though from what I read it looked like they could give you 2Gbs with the lines and box's they are putting up or was I misreading it?

It's purely for future proofing. 2.5Gbps is not going to happen anytime soon... we have a better shot of sprint finishing their LTE upgrade on the remaining 2 WF towers before we see 2.5gb internet

It's purely for future proofing. 2.5Gbps is not going to happen anytime soon... we have a better shot of sprint finishing their LTE upgrade on the remaining 2 WF towers before we see 2.5gb internet

I know, I was just checking to make sure it was 2.5gbs to the home than to the node or backhaul. Oddly today I got the fastest speeds I have ever gotten off Verizon wireless in town today. 52.67mbs down and 14.42mbs up. I guess I just needed to speed test in the right spot. I just wish I could pull that kind of speed at my house or time warner cable could put out that kind of down load paired with that nearly 15mbs upload. I hope century link will hook my house up with FTTH even though the best I can get is 10mbs right now.

I know, I was just checking to make sure it was 2.5gbs to the home than to the node or backhaul. Oddly today I got the fastest speeds I have ever gotten off Verizon wireless in town today. 52.67mbs down and 14.42mbs up. I guess I just needed to speed test in the right spot. I just wish I could pull that kind of speed at my house or time warner cable could put out that kind of down load paired with that nearly 15mbs upload. I hope century link will hook my house up with FTTH even though the best I can get is 10mbs right now.

lest just say the "max" that the ONT can handle is 2.5Gb. It would require extensive backhaul upgrades to provide that to everyone. It won't happen. Many theorize that 1gb down/1gb up is enough to carry us the next 10 years. It's enough to power all the computers in your home, wifi connected devices (think phones, tablets appletv's roku's), it's enough to power the prismTV services with more than 4HD streams, and still have overhead after that for future needs.

The 2.5gbps is purely there so that 10+ years from now, centurylink do not have to go back out to the house to install an upgrade, its a simple re-provision on the head end... another thing about these boxes are they have an out of band management port for CL to access, to help troubleshoot connectivity problems remotely, all in all saving a ton of money on repair/truck rolls.

lest just say the "max" that the ONT can handle is 2.5Gb. It would require extensive backhaul upgrades to provide that to everyone. It won't happen. Many theorize that 1gb down/1gb up is enough to carry us the next 10 years. It's enough to power all the computers in your home, wifi connected devices (think phones, tablets appletv's roku's), it's enough to power the prismTV services with more than 4HD streams, and still have overhead after that for future needs.

The 2.5gbps is purely there so that 10+ years from now, centurylink do not have to go back out to the house to install an upgrade, its a simple re-provision on the head end... another thing about these boxes are they have an out of band management port for CL to access, to help troubleshoot connectivity problems remotely, all in all saving a ton of money on repair/truck rolls.

That's what I thought, though in japan they are rolling out 2gbs down/ 1gbs up for I think about 50 USD a month. I think 1gbs is just fine, well better than fine more like the boss of internet connections. :)

That's what I thought, though in japan they are rolling out 2gbs down/ 1gbs up for I think about 50 USD a month. I think 1gbs is just fine, well better than fine more like the boss of internet connections. :)

qm.png

• Like 1

Yep that's totally happened to me. :rofl: More on topic though, when do you think century link will let us get the 1gbs plan or if we on the ave can even get it?

You'll see TWC deploy en mass before centurylink. This just happens to be... a developer with a lot of money wanted to prewire homes w/ fiber instead of copper, and got CL to do it. My website will become more prevalent over time... raising advertising dollars now for local newspaper, magazine, etc ads, and road signs.

You'll see TWC deploy en mass before centurylink. This just happens to be... a developer with a lot of money wanted to prewire homes w/ fiber instead of copper, and got CL to do it. My website will become more prevalent over time... raising advertising dollars now for local newspaper, magazine, etc ads, and road signs.

I just asked because I live close to where the homes are being built, like I am see them being built from my yard close. Though if I am luckier than a guy who win's both lottery jack pots I may be moving into one of the homes destined to get 1gbs along with a salt water pool. :) Though the odds are so against me, the force is not on my side for getting in to the internet magical neighborhood.

I just asked because I live close to where the homes are being built, like I am see them being built from my yard close. Though if I am luckier than a guy who win's both lottery jack pots I may be moving into one of the homes destined to get 1gbs along with a salt water pool. :) Though the odds are so against me, the force is not on my side for getting in to the internet magical neighborhood.

I live 2 blocks from Traditions off Wait Ave, we should team efforts. All it's going to take is enough people to demand it, and it will be expanded.

I live 2 blocks from Traditions off Wait Ave, we should team efforts. All it's going to take is enough people to demand it, and it will be expanded.

I could try to make a 2nd on paper petition that's like your's for some to sign. I am unsure of what else to do at this time, but yea teaming up sounds good.

To bring this thread back on topic, I picked up LTE in the Lowe's Foods parking lot in Brier Creek today (corner of Brier Creek Pkwy and Brier Leaf Ln), however speed tests using Okola with the Richmond server were more like 3G speeds... 1.2 Mbps down (this was roughly 7:30 PM). I am presuming the tower in this location is in the preliminary deployment stages. Although my EVO LTE displayed 4G, ping times were in the 120 ms range and speeds were less than stellar. In other areas of Raleigh I've frequented that have already been deployed, solid 6-10 Mbps speeds have been the norm, with some areas much higher.

In my experience, the Brier Creek area of Raleigh has been a fairly poor area in terms of reception and speed. I hope Sprint not only upgrades the sites as they are doing, but also adds more sites to enhance reception. This is a heavily residential area, with a lot of retail activity. With Sprint opening several new stores in the Raleigh area lately, it seems like they see the RDU area as one where they must win.

Hopefully I will receive better coverage in my apartment after this is done in the Brier Creek area. I have to use an Airave now, and I'd very much like to eliminate it if at all possible.

• Like 1

To bring this thread back on topic, I picked up LTE in the Lowe's Foods parking lot in Brier Creek today (corner of Brier Creek Pkwy and Brier Leaf Ln), however speed tests using Okola with the Richmond server were more like 3G speeds... 1.2 Mbps down (this was roughly 7:30 PM). I am presuming the tower in this location is in the preliminary deployment stages. Although my EVO LTE displayed 4G, ping times were in the 120 ms range and speeds were less than stellar. In other areas of Raleigh I've frequented that have already been deployed, solid 6-10 Mbps speeds have been the norm, with some areas much higher.

In my experience, the Brier Creek area of Raleigh has been a fairly poor area in terms of reception and speed. I hope Sprint not only upgrades the sites as they are doing, but also adds more sites to enhance reception. This is a heavily residential area, with a lot of retail activity. With Sprint opening several new stores in the Raleigh area lately, it seems like they see the RDU area as one where they must win.

Hopefully I will receive better coverage in my apartment after this is done in the Brier Creek area. I have to use an Airave now, and I'd very much like to eliminate it if at all possible.

I live right there as well, and also have an Airrave. 4G has been active on that side of Glenwood for about a month now, off and on. I'm picking it up on the other (WalMart) side as of yesterday, which I believe is served by the Angus Barn Water Tower (Target side is served by the Page Rd tower i believe).

So in short, Page Rd was upgraded a while ago and all of that side of Brier Creek has been covered and mapped on sensorly for a while now, Angus Barn is being upgraded now (I think, fingers crossed)

got 4g lte in part of the city of lumberton this afternoon looks like it went live this afternoon as it was only 3g earlier still 3g on the pembroke side of i95 and still 3g north of the mall

• Like 1

Still intermittent LTE at my place by Crossroads. However, I've noticed CDMA 1x/EV-DO signal strength has dramatically increased from approximately -90 to -100 dBm to around -70 within just this week alone. EV-DO speeds are also rock solid around 2.4 Mbps.

• Like 1

After weeks and weeks of fairly quick deployment in the Raleigh market, it seems that the new sites have trailed off. I wonder if they're waiting for an announcement to "flip the switch," so to speak (which is unusual from how other markets were deployed), or if Sprint has done the easy sites first, saving the sites that need more work done for later?

I was hoping we'd get a little farther along before the deployment slowed down like it has.

• Like 1

After weeks and weeks of fairly quick deployment in the Raleigh market, it seems that the new sites have trailed off. I wonder if they're waiting for an announcement to "flip the switch," so to speak (which is unusual from how other markets were deployed), or if Sprint has done the easy sites first, saving the sites that need more work done for later?

I was hoping we'd get a little farther along before the deployment slowed down like it has.

I've noticed this too. The annoying thing for me so far is while there is a significant amount of LTE coverage in the area, there's enough holes that when dropping signal in the holes it takes a significant amount of time to re acquire signal. Of course I could always toggle airplane mode and it will pop back up. It's still pretty annoying and not safe to do while driving. This isn't really a sprint complaint more of an LTE in general disgruntlement. With WiMax as long as the 4g radio was "turned on" it would re acquire signal quickly. Example: Going from Western Blvd area which has great coverage to the Jones Franklin area. It drops out right at the Jack Daniels store. If I toggle airplane mode at 440/Jones Franklin it will re acquire and hold signal all the way to crossroads. If I dont toggle airplane mode it will often not re acquire for a while. I've tried this with and without an active constant data connection.

Maybe this is stuff that can be fixed with final tweaking of down tilts of the panels I don't know. It sure is frustrating though. Especially since I have not noticed 3g improvements at all yet. Still rarely get over 200kbps download with ping times in the 200-400ms range. Many are registering as eHRPD. I'm not sure if that is an indicator that NV has taken place at the site or not.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

I too have noticed this, but I noticed another trend associated with it. The 2 remaining wake forest towers are owned by county of wake, and town of wake forest (seperately). I am wondering if there is more red tape to jump through with those towers vs. american tower or crown castle which can probably expedite an install.

One of the sites is on top of the wake forest water tower... It should have been installed months ago according to robs original planned on air and install dates.... I observed a fiber install there about 3-4 weeks ago.... so cabinets and fiber are installed at both of these sites, all thats left are antennas and RRU's.

Took this about an hour ago at Wake Forest, NC town hall.

Double rainbows, LTE (non-sprint), and 'merica. F-yeah.

Oh yeah, this is an iden site for nextel... hopefully some 800mhz sprint coming soon.

IMG_0331.png

• Like 3