Network Vision/LTE - Raleigh/Durham Market (includes Fayetteville)

spotmeterf64

I've pretty much given up on sprint LTE in Wake Forest, and focusing attention toward FTTH. 

So can any one sign up for RST Global Communications 1gbs or is that just coming later?

Looking at there web site I see a Business/Residential part but no pricing so I am guessing it's very high or they don't sell it yet?

As for sprint LTE I am disappointed that they have not fixed it yet and that the online map shows something that is not there.    

• 4 weeks later...

my 4g has been flaking out on glenwood ave. Pleasant Valley. I launch signal check pro, and it cycles LTE off/on over and over.  Still can't get 4g at crabtree mall/brookhaven area....I do have an EVO LTE, so that could be part of the problem.

in the meantime, t-mobile has launched LTE this week on 2 towers in Wake Forest... in areas where I couldn't get Sprint LTE.

Still, the only LTE players in downtown Wake Forest remain Verizon and AT&T... *sigh*

Really? Except down by the fire department I have decent lte all through dtwf..

Well Goldsboro seems to be stalled on the roll out, 3G speeds are not even dial up fast anymore. Only one tower has 4G and its driving me nuts. Sprint reps have no clue what's going on and I can't seem to find any answers as to what the hold up is. Dropped calls are becoming more frequent to in the area. If anyone knows anything please let me know. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

Well Goldsboro seems to be stalled on the roll out, 3G speeds are not even dial up fast anymore. Only one tower has 4G and its driving me nuts. Sprint reps have no clue what's going on and I can't seem to find any answers as to what the hold up is. Dropped calls are becoming more frequent to in the area. If anyone knows anything please let me know. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Raleigh market has been stalled for the last two weeks with no updates.  I have seen 800SMR signal popping up north of Raleigh the last couple of weeks so I'm sure there's work still happening.  One thing that has been running through my mind, is there Nextel decommissioning going on that has slowed work on the NV updates?

In my opinion, the best thing they could do is to start flipping the switch (insert Brian Regan switch flip video here) for 3G on the clusters where 4G has already been activated.

Im currently on a Wimax phone (Galaxy S2). I feel like I have a lot of issues with connecting to data services (whether using 3G or 4G), and hence also issues with battery life. Im wondering if, with LTE now in Raleigh, if those of you with an LTE phone are getting decent service (concerned more about getting a connection rather than speed) and thus not having the issues with battery life issues I have (full charge to dying in 10-12 hours with close to no use). Im out of contract and want to stay with Sprint to maintain unlimited data, but I dont want to reup for 2 years and find that a newer LTE phone is only a minimal improvement. I realize this is slightly OT, but any help is appreciated.

Im currently on a Wimax phone (Galaxy S2). I feel like I have a lot of issues with connecting to data services (whether using 3G or 4G), and hence also issues with battery life. Im wondering if, with LTE now in Raleigh, if those of you with an LTE phone are getting decent service (concerned more about getting a connection rather than speed) and thus not having the issues with battery life issues I have (full charge to dying in 10-12 hours with close to no use). Im out of contract and want to stay with Sprint to maintain unlimited data, but I dont want to reup for 2 years and find that a newer LTE phone is only a minimal improvement. I realize this is slightly OT, but any help is appreciated.

LTE is pretty dang good in Raleigh these days, and I dont have much battery drain from it. WAY better than WiMAX. 

3G is still slow as molasses though, for some reason they have not flipped that switch, despite the equipment and backhaul being in place.

• Like 1

Where I've been in Raleigh I seem to hold onto LTE pretty well.  However, I live north of Wake Forest so I'm not in the big city all that much.   :)   I think it really depends on which parts of Raleigh you are in the most, as it still might be spotty in some places until the remaining towers are converted.  Some folks on here have said parts of downtown Wake Forest don't have coverage and I know of a couple of places in Raleigh where I lose it.  But for the most part there seems to be pretty decent coverage.

LTE is pretty dang good in Raleigh these days, and I dont have much battery drain from it. WAY better than WiMAX. 

3G is still slow as molasses though, for some reason they have not flipped that switch, despite the equipment and backhaul being in place.

Thanks for the input...I should also clarify, I leave 4G off on my phone because of the battery drain and lack of coverage...so my battery life shouldnt depend on its ability to access Wimax. I guess what Im wondering is, will CDMA/3G coverage (and its effect on battery life) on a Wimax phone be the same as on an LTE phone? Ie, are the network improvements in the area only affecting LTE coverage, 

Thanks for the input...I should also clarify, I leave 4G off on my phone because of the battery drain and lack of coverage...so my battery life shouldnt depend on its ability to access Wimax. I guess what Im wondering is, will CDMA/3G coverage (and its effect on battery life) on a Wimax phone be the same as on an LTE phone? Ie, are the network improvements in the area only affecting LTE coverage, 

Currently it is only LTE. However all of the equipment is in place for 3G/CDMA as well, but Sprint has not turned it on yet. The day they turn it on everything should instantly be much better.

That said, I dont have much battery drain unless im completely without a signal, which doesnt happen too often. 

That may be because of newer radio tech in phones and a newer battery.

5 points area = sucks, barely 3g and no LTE.

crabtree mall area = 3g is not too bad, no LTE.

PNC arena (inside) = sucks, barley any connection, LTE outside.

htc evo lte phone, so that could be part of the problem...I will also try with GS4 just picked up.

Edited by chrad44

PSA: Maybe it's sheer coincidence, maybe it's cause of all my bitching... but... on my way home today, I spotted the erricson crew at the water tower in downtown Wake Forest on white st. The guy said he was taking out the old cabinents, and that they will be installing new cabinents today/tomorrow. He didn't know when they'd be putting up new LTE antennas, only said that sprint are becoming more aggresive in the area and that it will be soon.

Had a weird "Extended LTE" logo on my phone while at the tower.

Untitled-2.png

photo.PNG

• Like 1

Currently it is only LTE. However all of the equipment is in place for 3G/CDMA as well, but Sprint has not turned it on yet. The day they turn it on everything should instantly be much better.

That said, I dont have much battery drain unless im completely without a signal, which doesnt happen too often. 

That may be because of newer radio tech in phones and a newer battery.

Ha, thats the real question isnt it? When are they going to turn it on? In a couple of months, might be worth sticking around...but if its closer to two years, might just be time to look at other options.

Im actually thinking of buying a used/unlocked LTE phone just to see how things work with a more current phone before making any 2-year decisions.