Network Vision/LTE - Milwaukee Market (including Madison)

sajanisch

Well, it's almost the end of Aug, and I really don't see any more updates for the Madison area.  Data is still very rough on the West side of town (research park area).  Downtown it's non-existent.  I wonder if Robert has heard anything when work is suppose to be done in Madison.....

Well, it's almost the end of Aug, and I really don't see any more updates for the Madison area.  Data is still very rough on the West side of town (research park area).  Downtown it's non-existent.  I wonder if Robert has heard anything when work is suppose to be done in Madison.....

Yea work has seemed to just go to 1 tower every week or two. It really does not seem like work is ramping up at all. Not sure what the issue is, although i have heard ATT has been extremely slow to getting backhaul to sites. Would be nice to hear from someone that has info on why work is taking so long, we have seen many towers in the market with NV equipment on it but are not active.

I'm pretty impressed how much a single tower can cover....... (the tower is at the top of this map, essentially, nearer the dark purple)

6F6gIeI.png

There's purple covering existing towers that aren't upgraded yet on this map (Sauk @ Gammon and Pleasant View @ Greenway and others), so the coverage should be really great once they actually get them all upgraded.  Great work on mapping, guys!  

I keep praying that Sprint will beat the start of Badger Football here downtown westside of campus by Camp Randall, but I doubt that'll happen.  We really only need a few to get some decent coverage here in Madison.

• Like 1

A coworker who lives in west allis near state fair could not connect her iphone 4 to any 3G the last couple days. She called Sprint and they said the tower on 66th by state fair was "down". All traffic routed to 43rd street, but that tower is overloaded. I also noticed lots of 1xRTT and EV-DO the last couple days. I have to toggle airplane to get EHRPD, otherwise it goes to EVDO. Must be working on something around here.

I work on Theodore Trecker in west allis And I have been on EVDO all day But im connecting to a tower on bluemound 

I'm pretty impressed how much a single tower can cover....... (the tower is at the top of this map, essentially, nearer the dark purple)

6F6gIeI.png

There's purple covering existing towers that aren't upgraded yet on this map (Sauk @ Gammon and Pleasant View @ Greenway and others), so the coverage should be really great once they actually get them all upgraded. Great work on mapping, guys!

I keep praying that Sprint will beat the start of Badger Football here downtown westside of campus by Camp Randall, but I doubt that'll happen. We really only need a few to get some decent coverage here in Madison.

I doubt one tower is covering all of that. If that were the case I'd be very impressed! !

I doubt one tower is covering all of that. If that were the case I'd be very impressed! !

Well, the only other tower that I've seen equipment on is the Tokay tower, but it isn't broadcasting (and not officially accepted yet) and we have no other towers that have been accepted as complete in that area either.  I think its a single tower.  

• Like 1

Look at the coverage distance of the Hartland tower, maybe you'll believe then :)

Yep, I've kept LTE from the Hartland tower all the way to where Lisbon splits off to Richmond Rd. near Sussex (didn't map it though :))

• Like 1

I saw some work being done on the big water tower on 164 in Pewaukee yesterday. I believe there are panels with RRUs up... a little hard to tell though, there are several carriers on that tower. Plus it's so busy over there, hard to get a good look.

• Like 1

This has been the story of my life since I started working downtown back in late May. Service gets particularly bad in the office. It's otherwise OK at best on the lower east side but gets horrible again around North Ave. I'm not surprised that there's not a single Sprint store around here. The one on Brady St. closed recently too. Tough to sell phones/service in an area where the network isn't doing so hot.

It's still horrible downtown. I've been working downtown since late May and I don't know how long it's been bad before that. I can't rely on data for anything. Sometimes it's so bad I can't even "like" something on FB or grab an email. I really hope things start getting better. I've seen more flipping between the circle icon and 3G on my iPhone in the last couple weeks which I hope is a sign that work is going on.

Sad to say it, but I'd be satisfied with even just 30-40 KB/s download speeds if it could just be consistent and reliable. Even then, that's anywhere from 3-6 times slower than what I'd get on ATT's 3G/Faux G network.

The Sprint store on Brady didn't close because of bad service.

The Sprint store on Brady didn't close because of bad service.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I was saying it closed because of bad service. Service around the Brady St. area is actually pretty decent, but still slower than what I've experienced on AT&T. The people working there were always awesome too. I just mentioned it as an additional bit of info on how there's not really any Sprint stores in the downtown area.

Edited by norsairius

Well, the only other tower that I've seen equipment on is the Tokay tower, but it isn't broadcasting (and not officially accepted yet) and we have no other towers that have been accepted as complete in that area either. I think its a single tower.

I wonder how accurate is the accepted list