Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

LTE tower is up about a block away from me but the site is on and off for the past two weeks. however, two other towers nearby are up 24/7 since they were turned on three weeks ago.

I totally understand. I have observed it and heard about similar occurrences from forum members here. With that said, our market hasn't officially launched, nor has an official launch date been provided by Sprint. When we realize that, we learn to accept that any early LTE signals we receive is a bonus. All we're getting now is a glimpse of what's to come in the near future. I completely understand why Sprint will no longer launch a market without having extensive coverage. After the negative press they received last summer over launching places like Dallas and Atlanta with only ~30% of the towers complete, we all should. The reason being that the general public always assumes that when a market launches, it's 100% complete.

They are working on something and need to take it offline. If it is more than one tower in an area, then it is likely cluster signal optimization. If it seems to be over a large chunk of the market, it could be related to the LTE core.

As digiblur has said above, they are not turning off sites to build anticipation or to have a grand lighting ceremony for launch day. Once a site is accepted and goes live, it stays live. But it may go off and on as needed to be worked on. And prior to launch, it is common for LTE signals to go on and off, in all markets.

Robert via LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

I think that's what everyone means when they speak the official launch talk. Since it is prelaunch, LTE towers going on and off is more wide spread. After launch, we are hoping the towers don't come on and off excessively. Instead it's on and goes down once in a while. Thanks Robert.

I think that's what everyone means when they speak the official launch talk. Since it is prelaunch, LTE towers going on and off is more wide spread. After launch, we are hoping the towers don't come on and off excessively. Instead it's on and goes down once in a while. Thanks Robert.

Yes, you have reasonable expectations. Sites will still go down after launch, but much less frequently. Also, Sprint employees can open tickets on sites after launch and can see reported outtages and things going on with the network that they couldn't see before launch.

Getting LTE today form site NY25XC800 (the one that started this whole thread...)! Corner of 69th and york. Its been marked 3G accepted for a while. Finally!

3G speeds still suck from this tower. Less than 200kbps. LTE is pulling anywhere from 6mpbs to 15mpbs down (avg about 7...) and about 3mbps up with RSRP -64. Ping 36. When I go deep inside the building it drops to around 3mbps down 1mbps up with RSRP -108 (places where 1X signal is about 1-2bars).

Not sure why the 3G is still so poor. From what I can tell by the engineering screen there are three sectors on this tower 4099, 4098, 4097, and three different channels 650, 675, 450. In any case, i'm just happy I finally have some LTE.

Not sure why the 3G is still so poor. From what I can tell by the engineering screen there are three sectors on this tower 4099, 4098, 4097, and three different channels 650, 675, 450.

Three different carrier channels of CDMA1X, EV-DO, or a mix? Regardless, both are 3G.

AJ

Getting LTE today form site NY25XC800 (the one that started this whole thread...)! Corner of 69th and york. Its been marked 3G accepted for a while. Finally!

3G speeds still suck from this tower. Less than 200kbps. LTE is pulling anywhere from 6mpbs to 15mpbs down (avg about 7...) and about 3mbps up with RSRP -64. Ping 36. When I go deep inside the building it drops to around 3mbps down 1mbps up with RSRP -108 (places where 1X signal is about 1-2bars).

Not sure why the 3G is still so poor. From what I can tell by the engineering screen there are three sectors on this tower 4099, 4098, 4097, and three different channels 650, 675, 450. In any case, i'm just happy I finally have some LTE.

Network Vision 3G upgrades are brought online in clusters. When a site is 3G accepted, it very often does not go live because they have to wait for the entire cluster to be completed. Then all the 3G upgrades in that cluster go live immediately.

The LTE upgrades do not have to be brought up in clusters. So it is quite possible that your site has only LTE upgrades live and not 3G, even though both may be accepted.

I'm there right now, but I'm not getting any LTE :(

EDIT: I lied, there it goes. 68th & York.

EDIT 2: Seems to be in the mid 6 mb/s range DL and low 3's for UL.

Network Vision 3G upgrades are brought online in clusters. When a site is 3G accepted, it very often does not go live because they have to wait for the entire cluster to be completed. Then all the 3G upgrades in that cluster go live immediately.

The LTE upgrades do not have to be brought up in clusters. So it is quite possible that your site has only LTE upgrades live and not 3G, even though both may be accepted.

That explains why I am getting such poor speeds on a 3G accepted tower in downtown Manhattan. How long before all of the clusters are completed after the accepted report?

That explains why I am getting such poor speeds on a 3G accepted tower in downtown Manhattan. How long before all of the clusters are completed after the accepted report?

Clusters are groups of towers, so unless the ones surrounding the site are upgraded, it will be a while.

Yeah I don't get it , I was in Queens the other day & I had full blown LTE but when I switched over to 3G & did a speedtest the speeds were average 3G , with NV 3G im expecting 1mbps down & 0.50-1.00mbps up i don't get it but at least LTE is around

Ohhhh that makes sense that probably means official 3G upgrades probably won't be avaliable until after LTE is launched im just speculating tho .

No. 3g upgrades will be launched when a cluster is ready regardless of LTE being turned on. A cluster can be anywhere from a few towers to several dozen. The majority must be upgraded in a cluster before they can turn the upgraded 3g on or it'll cause a lot of headache that Sprint does not want to have.

• Like 2

Do they usually upgrade all panels at once? The tower closest to me appears to have one new panel, but then again I can only see it from one side. It looked like a NV panel to my untrained eye. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

I only ran one speed test, it's a dramatic difference.

480414507.png

Edit: Nevermind, it appears to be more than one new panel.

Edited by Sonic13

Wow the pings on LTE are incredible today! 37ms

But what about the pongs?

AJ

• Like 1

Wow old school!

Yeah, real old school.

ping_pong_paddle.jpg

AJ

Just heard from Technobuffalo , Sprint LTE is now live in 9 more Markets I think that makes it 67 official live markets that have Sprint LTE , we should be in the next group of markets that gets released . Yayy im so excited .