Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I have zero worries with Sprint in NYC. My main concern has been addressed, Coverage! Everywhere I go I have B41, indoors and out. Coverage is quite impressive.

Now the capacity, is the easier part, as long as Sprint can get proper backhaul and keep those additional carriers coming, we are in awesome shape.

These scores on RootMetrics really don't mean much, there's been days when certain bands are disabled and impact speeds considerably.

• Like 3

I, sometimes, do get stuck on band 25, and its pretty slow when i do. I also think nyc is not finished with band 41 sites because the speed dropped alot eben if i have good signal and good snr. I remember getting over 60 mbps when i first used my note 4, but now i average 10-16 mbps.

That's still good enough speed for me to use as hotspot but i hope they finish so that we get much better data speeds.

I have cousins and they have At&t. They have good lte coverage indoors but i noticed that their data speed is not much higher, just consistent.

Since cousins have limited data, i turn on my note4 hotspot and they are glad i am around; they never complain about speed also. I cant wait till nyc is finished.

At least NYC finally crossed the 90 point mark. NYC is one of their last large cities to actually stay under 90 in scoring which is absolutely insane. I feel like the speeds portion is so low because of band priorities in NYC and such. It alleviated strain on Band 25 but Band 41 is completely swamped but still chugging along. 

• Like 1

I wish I can get better signal here in Staten Island some places I get LTE some I don't

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staten Island treats itself like a suburb and has a lot of NIMBY-ism going on so Sprint is probably running into trouble trying to get new sites up and running. However, it should get better with small cells in certain areas and new sites being built out.

• Like 2

At least NYC finally crossed the 90 point mark. NYC is one of their last large cities to actually stay under 90 in scoring which is absolutely insane. I feel like the speeds portion is so low because of band priorities in NYC and such. It alleviated strain on Band 25 but Band 41 is completely swamped but still chugging along. 

Who knows exactly what phase of the optimizations these tests took place, there was a time when Clear B41 was completed jacked.

Then, B41 was limited to about 5mbs, and now we have B41 devices not connecting to B25, also Sprint has adjusted the threshold of B41 quite a bit (which I think is currently the best configuration especially with B41 scalability)

So we have no idea during which phase Rootmetrics conducted these tests.

I feel like Jersey also brings the NYC score down significantly.... Sprint in Jersey still leaves a lot to be desired, especially Central Jerz, lots of holes.... Sprint really needs to focus on Jersey more, but in Sprint world Jersey is a completely different market from NYC. 

• Like 1

Is it expected by those that read this forum that Sprint will ever truly compete nationwide with T-mo, VZW on speed? I don't think Sprint can feasibly provide a seamless B41 experience across the entirety of the US...and they shouldn't have to.

This is where I think RootMetrics is misleading - median scores omit outliers but cannot tells us about the average. In this sense average speed is a good metric of reliability in which I think Sprint has made fantastic advancement.

Reliability across voice and data, access to the latest and greatest handsets, and a good monthly price is the name of the wireless game. I think Sprint is happy with their improvements and we should be too. Can it get better? Of course. Will it...yeah, sure, whatever. 

Like I've said many times in the past, peak speeds are a poor way to judge a network. I would rather have Sprint push the envelope on consistent LTE availability and throughput rather than peak speeds in some parts of the city, and dial up in the other.

• Like 1

Here's a thing I've noticed. Every time they do an article about Sprints network it's always during the times when Sprint is going through an editorial phase. Meaning they're tweaking the network or maybe the towers over loaded or whatever the case may be, these test always come around these times. I feel like it's to intentionally make Sprint look bad. It's irritating and that's why I don't pay those articles and test any mind I go off of the usage I get and the usage I see you guys get.

Here's a thing I've noticed. Every time they do an article about Sprints network it's always during the times when Sprint is going through an editorial phase. Meaning they're tweaking the network or maybe the towers over loaded or whatever the case may be, these test always come around these times. I feel like it's to intentionally make Sprint look bad. It's irritating and that's why I don't pay those articles and test any mind I go off of the usage I get and the usage I see you guys get.

Sprint's network has been a work in progress. Once NV is done, we'll see how it looks.

• Like 1

My mother just called me and told me that there are a ton of Verizon FiOS trucks on our block in Crown Heights. She said she thinks they're finally going to bring it to our block. That would be especially useful since for the longest they've claimed FiOS coverage in Crown Heights North but it simply didn't exist for a significant portion of the neighborhood. 

I think it's so hilarious though because not too long ago someone on this website was trying to convince me that Verizon wasn't building out FiOS anymore and that if you didn't have FiOS at your location now, you would never get it. I guess I was right and he was wrong.

My mother just called me and told me that there are a ton of Verizon FiOS trucks on our block in Crown Heights. She said she thinks they're finally going to bring it to our block. That would be especially useful since for the longest they've claimed FiOS coverage in Crown Heights North but it simply didn't exist for a significant portion of the neighborhood. 

I think it's so hilarious though because not too long ago someone on this website was trying to convince me that Verizon wasn't building out FiOS anymore and that if you didn't have FiOS at your location now, you would never get it. I guess I was right and he was wrong.

Verizon is adding FiOS in locations where they need to finish the build, but if your town NEVER had it, nor the surrounding towns, you may never see it.

For example, Woodside has FiOS, but it isn't available to everyone based on the buildings they live in.

The co-op down the block from me has FiOS, but not my rental building, same physical block, a few hundred feet apart.

• Like 1

Verizon is adding FiOS in locations where they need to finish the build, but if your town NEVER had it, nor the surrounding towns, you may never see it.

For example, Woodside has FiOS, but it isn't available to everyone based on the buildings they live in.

The co-op down the block from me has FiOS, but not my rental building, same physical block, a few hundred feet apart.

That's exactly what I was trying to explain but the person insisted that I'd never get it, ever.

NV?

The postal code for Nevada.  The Silver State.  East of California, west of Utah.  Home to Las Vegas and Reno.

AJ

• Like 3

The postal code for Nevada. The Silver State. East of California, west of Utah. Home to Las Vegas and Reno.

AJ

Actually I think what they meant "Network Vision" according to previous post he did not quotequote and post-post.

I thought that was done??

Edited by KDKobes

caccd9f1848092a9f8393e18750c06d0.jpgfinally band 26 is live in my area, i got band 41 and 26 still no band 25

I just checked maps and finally my voice tower is completely updated

• Like 1

caccd9f1848092a9f8393e18750c06d0.jpgfinally band 26 is live in my area, i got band 41 and 26 still no band 25

I just checked maps and finally my voice tower is completely updated

What zip code are u in if u don't mind saying

The Band 25 phenomenon is still going on. That sucks.

I guess you mean little to no B25 access for Tri band devices?

I still think it was purposely configured this way to give single band devices a fighting chance. Otherwise triband+single band devices on B25 makes it unusable.

• Like 1

One thing I do find odd is that I no longer see over 40mbs on any B41 site in NYC no matter the time or place. I had one place where I consistently hit over 70mbs, and that site is stuck @ around 30...

Makes me thinks Sprint has been limiting backhaul speeds here, unlike NJ I still hit 60mbs+ on Clear sites. 

That could be leading to a major decline of B41 overall speeds .