Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Now we just need to get Transit Wireless to get Sprint on-air in Queens. Anytime I skip the 7 or go anywhere else in Queens, I have the dreaded triangle of slow :)

I'd like for there to be service in the tunnels like it is in Boston. I have an LTE signal almost everywhere.

I'd be happy to have Penn Station, and the 3 Hudson River Tunnels (Lincoln, Holland, NJT/Amtrak) upgraded. 

I'd be happy to have Penn Station, and the 3 Hudson River Tunnels (Lincoln, Holland, NJT/Amtrak) upgraded. 

I picked up LTE on the Lincoln tunnel (speeds were about 10mbs through the whole tunnel) then it disappeared a couple days later,

I think they were testing it, so it cant be far off from official deployment.

I picked up LTE on the Lincoln tunnel (speeds were about 10mbs through the whole tunnel) then it disappeared a couple days later,

I think they were tested it, so it cant be far off from official deployment.

All the sites on both sides of the Hudson are upgraded, but it's always hit/miss when you're in the tunnel. If you hit the scan timer limit, you'll idle on 3G probably till you clear the tunnel, before it rescans. 

All the sites on both sides of the Hudson are upgraded, but it's always hit/miss when you're in the tunnel. If you hit the scan timer limit, you'll idle on 3G probably till you clear the tunnel, before it rescans. 

I had a about a -85dBm B25 signal while in the middle of the tunnel. I doubt it came from either side of the tunnel. 

Is there a way that you could receive signal from to separate towers that would overall make a collective signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way that you could receive signal from to separate towers that would overall make a collective signal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He means connecting to two separate cell sites at the same time.

If that's the case, no it does not work that way.

so can anyone explain why my lte speeds on the note 3 obviously run b25... have low ping like 50ms. but speeds are 700kbps... but on my bro note 4 I'm guessing he's on b41 are 30mpbs...  we have to be connected to same tower so the backhaul has to be the same and so shouldn't the max speed available on b25 actually be achievable?

so can anyone explain why my lte speeds on the note 3 obviously run b25... have low ping like 50ms. but speeds are 700kbps... but on my bro note 4 I'm guessing he's on b41 are 30mpbs...  we have to be connected to same tower so the backhaul has to be the same and so shouldn't the max speed available on b25 actually be achievable?

single carrier B41 can do up to 80mbs, B25 is limited to 37.5 and its saturated, B41 has much more headroom.
  • Like 1

so if its limited to 37.5 why the max i get is 2mbps... but normally like 500-700kbps low pings but the same as 3g except 3g had super high pings of 600ms?

As I mentioned before, its saturated, that's why a spark device is necessary.

ok gotcha. and yes I know that now constantly comparing my speeds to my brother.

That max speed of 37.5Mbps is being shared with all the other devices currently using Band 25 on that site. As was stated earlier, you get to many devices connected to one site, it saturates the connection and slows everyone down. Band 41 can handle many more devices simultaneously than Band 25, therefore it can hold speeds up longer. Also, there may be more B25 devices in your area than Spark devices, meaning the load on the network cannot be properly balanced.
  • Like 2

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area

Sprint once again destroyed in the data portion of Rootmetrics testing for 1H2015.  When will it jump.....

I cannot tell you when, but what i can tell you its worlds better than it was a year ago, but since they have been messing with bands and optimizing its been a roller coaster ride. 

Also now that B41 is ubiquitous, we need that second carrier asap, B41 speeds have taken a big hit. 

http://www.rootmetrics.com/us/rsr/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area

Sprint once again destroyed in the data portion of Rootmetrics testing for 1H2015.  When will it jump.....

I saw this, too and was kinda bummed.  Also with DC and other recent releases as well.  But the common positive thread in all of these rootmetrics tests seem to be that Sprint performs very, very well in terms of overall reliability (no doubt due to 1x800), as well as call and text quality.  And usually there is a footnote or two mentioning how Sprint has greatly improved their rate of dropped and/or blocked calls (in some cases down to 0.0%).  Yes, Sprint still lags behind the other three in absolute max data speeds, but having a reliable signal more often than 2 of the other 3 is a big deal.  Let's not lose sight of the positives.

• Like 3

Is it expected by those that read this forum that Sprint will ever truly compete nationwide with T-mo, VZW on speed? I don't think Sprint can feasibly provide a seamless B41 experience across the entirety of the US...and they shouldn't have to.

This is where I think RootMetrics is misleading - median scores omit outliers but cannot tells us about the average. In this sense average speed is a good metric of reliability in which I think Sprint has made fantastic advancement.

Reliability across voice and data, access to the latest and greatest handsets, and a good monthly price is the name of the wireless game. I think Sprint is happy with their improvements and we should be too. Can it get better? Of course. Will it...yeah, sure, whatever. 

Is it expected by those that read this forum that Sprint will ever truly compete nationwide with T-mo, VZW on speed? I don't think Sprint can feasibly provide a seamless B41 experience across the entirety of the US...and they shouldn't have to.

This is where I think RootMetrics is misleading - median scores omit outliers but cannot tells us about the average. In this sense average speed is a good metric of reliability in which I think Sprint has made fantastic advancement.

Reliability across voice and data, access to the latest and greatest handsets, and a good monthly price is the name of the wireless game. I think Sprint is happy with their improvements and we should be too. Can it get better? Of course. Will it...yeah, sure, whatever.

Yes, it is expected. Aggregation of 20MHz band 41 carriers will boost peak speeds and capacity. Sprint has the spectrum to deploy, they just need to get the 8T8R overlay done, which they are rapidly working on.