Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Update for what?

That is the Weird Robert Yankovic parody version.

AJ

That's no good. Hopefully further updates will get load sharing working better. Seems the last update was just to make sure any and all spark devices sat grabbed B41 as much as possible, instead of actively sharing B25, 26 & 41.

Curious, would shutting B41 off have helped? Sounds like B25/26 wasn't as crowed? (That's a first).

I was referring to this post about further updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys I got a question. Is there LTE in PR. I mean technically PR is US territory so the 4 carriers should be over there right?

You guys I got a question. Is there LTE in PR. I mean technically PR is US territory so the 4 carriers should be over there right?

Yup, I believe its 100% NV 1.0 complete

No, not all four operators.  The FCC does not assign national wireless licenses.

AJ

Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T have LTE there, Verizon uses a roaming partner there. In terms of coverage, Sprint is basically 100% complete with the Band 25 rollout in PR and you're bound to find LTE almost everywhere.

• Like 1

Question. What is more prevalent in NYC: Clear B41 or Sprint B41?

Clear Band 41 by far. That leads me to believe that Sprint is going to have a kinda difficult time with carrier aggregation here since most of the Band 41 sites here are incapable of it. The good news is, Sprint has been moderately aggressive with their Band 41 rollout in NYC.

~70% clear b41

Sent from my Nexus 5

This sounds about right, maybe 40% of the places I go in NYC are Sprint B41.

But also there's definitely overlap in sites that are close to each other, like my home, I bounce between Sprint and Clear B41 all the time.

Clear Band 41 by far. That leads me to believe that Sprint is going to have a kinda difficult time with carrier aggregation here since most of the Band 41 sites here are incapable of it. The good news is, Sprint has been moderately aggressive with their Band 41 rollout in NYC.

I don't think CA would be necessary in a lot of places.

I do think Sprint is somehow slowing B41 backhaul to match closer to B25/26 speeds.

40mbs backhaul seem to be Sprint's approach to the majority of the sites I visit in the Bronx and Manhattan.

Maybe in an effort to give an impression of a more consistent experience. (And save some cash)

I don't think CA would be necessary in a lot of places.

I do think Sprint is somehow slowing B41 backhaul to match closer to B25/26 speeds.

40mbs backhaul seem to be Sprint's approach to the majority of the sites I visit in the Bronx and Manhattan.

Maybe in an effort to give an impression of a more consistent experience. (And save some cash)

No.

40 Mbps cap is sprints backhaul situation because they cheaped out on backhaul. Now they must wait for the backhaul providers to upgrade speeds on their end.

Sent from my Nexus 5

No.

40 Mbps cap is sprints backhaul situation because they cheaped out on backhaul. Now they must wait for the backhaul providers to upgrade speeds on their end.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Most definitely feels as tho there is some sort of traffic shaping going on..

I've noticed a pattern of certain sites running between 4-7mbs during heavy traffic times.

The disadvantage of Triband from a cost perspective is having to supply backhaul to 

B25/B25 Second Carrer/B26 and B41x3

Id guess at least 500mbs backhaul is necessary to supply sufficient resources to go around, and that's not even bringing 3G into the equation...

Seems like an expensive proposition...

No traffic shaping. If a B41 sector drops to 4-7Mbps at peak times, then either the backhaul they have is not robust enough to carry the full amount of traffic the air link can support or the air link is nearing saturation.

Given that Sprint is going around hustling increases in backhaul, it most likely is the former than the latter. Or a combination thereof. If it's the latter, firing up another carrier will help. If it's the former, then adding another carrier to burdened backhaul will not improve the situation.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

B25/B25 Second Carrer/B26 and B41x3

Id guess at least 500mbs backhaul is necessary to supply sufficient resources to go around, and that's not even bringing 3G into the equation...

Seems like an expensive proposition...

Just 3 carriers of B41 alone requires a Gig. Each B41 channel needs around 100Mbps throughput for maximum airlink ability. Times that by three sectors, that's 300Mbps per carrier. Times that by three carriers, that's 900Mbps.

Add One B26 carrier, roughly 50Mbps per sector, that's an additional 150Mbps.

Add two carriers B25, after three sectors, you're at 300Mbps.

Add EVDO and 1x, which modestly needs 50Mbps for six carriers.

A full NV site with every band and full CA is 1.4Gbps!!!

So a place with just 2xCA would still need just over a Gig. Most B41 sites that are running below 10Mbps simply do not have enough throughput. Likely somewhere between 200-300Mbps. Much more is needed. And Sprint is doing that like the dickens now.

• Like 3

No traffic shaping. If a B41 sector drops to 4-7Mbps at peak times, then either the backhaul they have is not robust enough to carry the full amount of traffic the air link can support or the air link is nearing saturation.

Given that Sprint is going around hustling increases in backhaul, it most likely is the former than the latter. Or a combination thereof. If it's the latter, firing p another carrier will help. If it's the former, then adding another carrier to burdened backhaul will not improve the situation.

I'm actually pretty happy with 4-7mbs, but it just wont do much for Sprint's image. Knowing that some of these sites used to hit 60mbs+ then a few days later never going over 20mbs doesn't help.

Considering Sprint has a huge amount of B41 live in NYC, it might be time to uncork that backhaul limit...

I'm actually pretty happy with 4-7mbs, but it just wont do much for Sprint's image. Knowing that some of these sites used to hit 60mbs+ then a few days later never going over 20mbs doesn't help.

Considering Sprint has a huge amount of B41 live in NYC, it might be time to uncork that backhaul limit...

Part of me also wonders what the interference is in a market like NYC. More sites coming online without optimization could cause signal quality problems that cause speeds to drop. What is your SNR values typically?

Part of me also wonders what the interference is in a market like NYC. More sites coming online without optimization could cause signal quality problems that cause speeds to drop. What is your SNR values typically?

Give me a few minutes, im gonna do some speed test and attach SC pro shots to accompany them...

Both of these sites cover my apartment, depending what part of the apt im in. 

Difference is that the Sprint B41 site covers quite a bit more ground than the Clear site.

Sprint B41

sprintb41.pngSCB41.png

Clear B41

clearb41.pngSCClear41.png

Both of these sites cover my apartment, depending what part of the apt im in. 

Depending upon whether you are in the foyer, kitchen, den, ballroom, servants' quarters, or indoor swimming pool?

AJ

• Like 3

Lets not forget my private IMAX movie theater....

Ah, you are that homeless guy living in the restroom at the Lincoln Square IMAX.  I thought I recognized you...

AJ

• Like 1