Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

When will the coverage map be available? I am figuring towers would have been lit up already, but just from observing the old clearwire wimax towers in my area that the signal isn't even live if equipment is installed....

When will the coverage map be available? I am figuring towers would have been lit up already, but just from observing the old clearwire wimax towers in my area that the signal isn't even live if equipment is installed....

The signals are most assuredly live. The new Sprint devices just aren't authorized to use it yet. Until Sprint sends out the updates for the GS4 Mini, Galaxy Mega, LG G2, and Nexus 5, you won't be able to connect to SMR LTE or TD-LTE (800 LTE or 25/2600 LTE).

No one knows at this point when these updated coverage maps will be available.

Noted, I figure as such...even in the Bronx I still have handoff issues where I am I don't think I'll get great signal even when they do start broadcasting to devices. I pick up three different cell sites in my apt alone... Drop back down to evdo for extended periods of time as well. So I hope either one of the two bands will help with that when they do decide to air...

Noted, I figure as such...even in the Bronx I still have handoff issues where I am I don't think I'll get great signal even when they do start broadcasting to devices. I pick up three different cell sites in my apt alone... Drop back down to evdo for extended periods of time as well. So I hope either one of the two bands will help with that when they do decide to air...

You are able to connect to LTE though? From the sounds of it, the Nexus 5 is a beast at grabbing LTE signals, in places where even the Note 2 could grab LTE. People are finding LTE in places that they never though LTE actually reached. So if you are connecting to LTE just fine, then perhaps there are still a few gaps to fill on the PCS network.

Also, people who are in areas where Band 41 is active (like you are) are having extreme difficulties getting Band 25 to act properly. Possibly because the device is seeing Band 41, but can't authenticate, so it drops altogether for an unknown reason. This may be affecting you if you are having issues.

• Like 2

You are able to connect to LTE though? From the sounds of it, the Nexus 5 is a beast at grabbing LTE signals, in places where even the Note 2 could grab LTE. People are finding LTE in places that they never though LTE actually reached. So if you are connecting to LTE just fine, then perhaps there are still a few gaps to fill on the PCS network.Also, people who are in areas where Band 41 is active (like you are) are having extreme difficulties getting Band 25 to act properly. Possibly because the device is seeing Band 41, but can't authenticate, so it drops altogether for an unknown reason. This may be affecting you if you are having issues.

On the nexus 5 I am picking up a whole new tower ID that I never saw appear on my HTC one so this is true... But the threshold for it to stay connected to the site seems inconsistent still if I move to were it'll hand off to another pcs tower when inside... Other than that the performance has been great. I am more observing the behavior rather then complaining. I know there is more work to be done.

Ok, after some testing in NYC with my shiny new N5, as stated before it does an excellent job of holding LTE, better than my HTC One or my GS3 by far. The problem that I have is once it loses LTE and drops to 3G, it wont switch back to LTE until i toggle airplane mode. But luckly most of the places I travel have some sort of LTE. But, it definitely has issues switching back to LTE here in Alcatel land. Hopefully NYC is  minimally affected by these eCSFB issues considering we are soo far along.

• Like 1

Ok, after some testing in NYC with my shiny new N5, as stated before it does an excellent job of holding LTE, better than my HTC One or my GS3 by far. The problem that I have is once it loses LTE and drops to 3G, it wont switch back to LTE until i toggle airplane mode. But luckly most of the places I travel have some sort of LTE. But, it definitely has issues switching back to LTE here in Alcatel land. Hopefully NYC is  minimally affected by these eCSFB issues considering we are soo far along.

What is eCFSB?

What is eCFSB?

As I mentioned earlier, I'm cross-posting this here as well since it is directly related to the G2 currently...

Sprint eCSFB Gap Issue Legal Approved Talking Points:

eCSFB Gap Talking Points

Sprint’s Network Vision Plan (Spectrum)
  • Sprint’s Network Vision plan includes access to three spectrum bands, (1.9, 800 and 2.5), and LTE handsets with a single radio.
  • Access to diverse spectrum assets allows Sprint to maximize capacity and coverage.
Current Sprint LTE Devices (2 Radios)
  • Current Sprint LTE devices are Simultaneous Voice and LTE (SVLTE)—using two radios, one for voice and one for LTE data. This allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate at the same time.
  • Dual Radio SVLTE devices can degrade the user’s quality of experience – two antennas may slow throughput at the cell edge and reduce battery life.
Future Sprint LTE Devices (1 Radio)
  • CSFB and eCSFB (Circuit Switch Fall Back and enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back) are features that enable single radio functionality in the handset.
    • eCSFB Benefits:
      • With eCSFB implementation, Sprint will be able to offer fast LTE data speeds and 3G voice supported on single radio devices. This provides a more cost effective option for Sprint’s long-term business plans to support additional spectrum bands.
      • eCSFB is expected to improve handset battery life compared to SVLTE.
eCSFB Gap Issue – What you Need to know:
  • Smart devices require eCSFB to “fall back” to 3G to accept a voice call if the user is connected to the LTE network.
  • All markets need to be upgraded with eCSFB capability.
  • eCSFB Gaps are only in non-incumbent markets where a site has 4G LTE and no 3G upgrade.
4G LTE integration with 3G is different by OEM type:
  • Incumbent markets – LTE 4G only sites can communicate with either legacy 3G or NV 3G sites.
  • Non-Incumbent – LTE 4G can only communicate with NV 3G sites; so individual sites need both NV upgrades.
LTE devices – Customer Experience
  • When 4G LTE is deployed in a non-incumbent market on sites without upgrade to 3G service, there is a gap.
    • Existing Devices – No Impact
    • eCSFB Devices – Phone becomes 3G only device
Non-Launched Markets
  • No coverage visible on Sprint.com maps but different experience for users with existing devices versus new eCSFB devices.
Launched Markets
  • Sprint coverage tools will display LTE coverage. For new LTE smart device users this could be confusing since they would expect LTE and 3G coverage with the device they purchased, but would not experience LTE until the 3G network is upgraded.
Mitigation plan:

New LTE Markets
  • When locking new LTE markets for announcement/ launch, eCSFB deployment status will be a factor in the analysis. New LTE markets will not be announced unless the eCSFB gap risk is low.
  • Complete the build quickly in eCSFB gap impacted markets.
Acronyms
  • CSFB – Circuit Switch Fall Back. It allows for single radio devices. (ERC)
  • eCSFB – Enhanced Circuit Switch Fall Back Next generation CSFB. (ALU, STA)
  • SVLTE – Simultaneous Voice & LTE. Allows CDMA calls and LTE to operate simultaneously
  • Incumbent – An incumbent market is one in which the OEM stays the same as before Network Vision
  • Non-incumbent – A market in which the OEM changes as well as all of the equipment.
  • ERC - Ericsson
  • ALU – Alcatel Lucent
  • STA - Samsung
  • NV – Network Vision
  • OEM – Original Equipment Manufacturer (ERC, ALU, STA)
  • Gap – 4G LTE on sites without appropriate upgrades to 3G service
  • 1.9 GHz Spectrum - Provides initial capacity and coverage for voice and data services.
  • 800 MHz Spectrum - Improves coverage and in-building penetration for all services.
  • 2.5 GHz Spectrum - Increases data capacity to support higher data demands and more users.

• Like 3

I'm just glad to know that these newer devices have improved cell edge performance. I saw a video online of a T-Mobile user with a -114dbm signal as read by his engineering screen and he was getting 7-8Mbps. Perhaps this will be a possibility on Sprint!

• Like 1

I'm just glad to know that these newer devices have improved cell edge performance. I saw a video online of a T-Mobile user with a -114dbm signal as read by his engineering screen and he was getting 7-8Mbps. Perhaps this will be a possibility on Sprint!

I think signal strength is only part of the story, I was in Ramsey NJ a couple of weeks ago and was pulling 15mb down on a -110dbm.

By the looks of it Sprint is about to give T-Mobile a run for their money with that! A lot of Sprint's LTE network is not dense enough yet, so people are getting 4-5Mbps on average. If people would see themself getting 15Mbps even on a low signal like that, they would be even more happy.

• Like 1

I'm getting 45 Mbps on LTE on Verizon here in the BFE, and that's on band 13. No AWS yet.  

It's kind of embarrassing how much bandwidth LTE has for the rural areas, especially on a carrier with 10x10. Even if Sprint built out a single band 25 5x5 here, that would give them headroom for a long time. 

I would have went with Sprint for unlimited but it's hard when there's very little native coverage here. Like AJ has said, Sprint isn't the right choice for everyone. Unfortunately Verizon is the only game in town here in Southern Illinois.

I have been driving around today and it seems to me that I just so happen to get used to the HTC one's way of switching between 3g and LTE. Eventually my N5 does switch to LTE on its own. Just hangs on to 3G or LTE just that much longer than the HTC One. So it seems to be OK for the most part here in NYC.

I have been driving around today and it seems to me that I just so happen to get used to the HTC one's way of switching between 3g and LTE. Eventually my N5 does switch to LTE on its own. Just hangs on to 3G or LTE just that much longer than the HTC One. So it seems to be OK for the most part here in NYC.

my HTC one will switch over to LTE much quicker than the nexus as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

my HTC one will switch over to LTE much quicker than the nexus as well.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes it does, but I also think that has also a lot to with the HTC's much worse RF performance. But it is a bit annoying how long it takes to go back to LTE, but toggling airplane mode seems to speed that process up almost instantaneously
  • Like 1

After months of sitting with a 3G upgrade only, the cell site by my grandmother's home finally got LTE. But when I went to her house I could not pick up LTE. This is aggravating. The same happened to the site by my home. It got LTE, and disappeared for 3 months before it finally came back online.

• Like 1

After months of sitting with a 3G upgrade only, the cell site by my grandmother's home finally got LTE. But when I went to her house I could not pick up LTE. This is aggravating. The same happened to the site by my home. It got LTE, and disappeared for 3 months before it finally came back online.

From what people have been saying on the N5/LG L2 issues thread, they might have been well aware of the issues, and have opted to upgrade 3G first then properly test 4G now. Thats why the acceptances have slowed and have come in bunches. So, in the end this mite be a good thing for the sake of stability.

By the looks of it Sprint is about to give T-Mobile a run for their money with that! A lot of Sprint's LTE network is not dense enough yet, so people are getting 4-5Mbps on average. If people would see themself getting 15Mbps even on a low signal like that, they would be even more happy.

Perfect example...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/4886-lg-g2-users-thread/?p=236332

• Like 1