Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Why's that?

Sorry I wasn't clear, i meant, your comment would be valid if all things were equal..same location, same number of people connected to the site. But we all know that Verizon has quite a bit more customers, thus balancing things out a bit on the 800 vs 700 spectrum vs 5x5 vs 10x10. But sprint has 1900 and 2500 to offload some of that heavy lifting. 

• Like 2

It is half the amount of spectrum so, in ideal conditions, one can expect half the speed.

I don't think it have seen half of 5 to 10mbps on sprint with the signal strength of 105-110dBm. My LTE speeds have been pretty disappointing most of the times. Maybe we'll get better speeds after the build out is complete.

• Like 1

I don't think it have seen half of 5 to 10mbps on sprint with the signal strength of 105-110dBm. My LTE speeds have been pretty disappointing most of the times. Maybe we'll get better speeds after the build out is complete.

You mean in this particular location or in any? because i have seen 10mbs @ 105dBm, its rare but ive seen it.

Last weekend in Ramsey, NJ i was getting 15-20mbs @ 98-100dBm.

Edited by nexgencpu
  • Like 1

You mean in this particular location or in any? because i have seen 10mbs @ 105dBm, its rare but ive seen it.

Last weekend in Ramsey, NJ i was getting 15-20mbs @ 98-100dBm.

Definitely rare. I have never seen such speeds but I have been mostly testing in Manhattan and Queens. Lately the speeds have gotten slower and I've been averaging 3-6Mbps with 65-80dBm. I have a feeling that the sites are getting overloaded because the phones usually leech on to the LTE signal more than 3G. At home my average signal strength is 110dBm and I am lucky if I hit 2Mbps.
  • Like 1

Definitely rare. I have never seen such speeds but I have been mostly testing in Manhattan and Queens. Lately the speeds have gotten slower and I've been averaging 3-6Mbps with 65-80dBm. I have a feeling that the sites are getting overloaded because the phones usually leech on to the LTE signal more than 3G. At home my average signal strength is 110dBm and I am lucky if I hit 2Mbps.

I do find it rough around the edges during peak time anywhere in midtown. But far west and far east, i get much better performance in Manhattan. Alot of work still needs to happen in lower Manhattan and midtown.

Depends. If I put the phone on the left side of my desk its around 95dBm. Keeping the phone on the right side degrades the signal to 100-105dBm :). LTE signal from my experience is usually 10dBM weaker than the 3G signal. Below is the picture I just took from my office. Its not very clear due to the glare but the arrow points to where the towers are.

Funny enough, if you walk down the block to around 46th or 45th, you'll see a much faster LTE throughput ;)

But yeah, I have noticed that some of the larger buildings actually have uptilted antennas so the signal could be coming from another site.

Finally picked up LTE for the first time on west side of Bryant park on 41st fairly strong signal. Speeds were fairly slow during rushhour, plus coincidently enough a Tmobile concert with hundreds of people probably didn't help speeds as well.

Finally picked up LTE for the first time on west side of Bryant park on 41st fairly strong signal. Speeds were fairly slow during rushhour, plus coincidently enough a Tmobile concert with hundreds of people probably didn't help speeds as well.

Tmobile just announced unlimited international roaming. Competition is heating up

"While the data is free, it won't be particularly fast. Customers can expect network speeds at around the same level that they get in the US after they are throttled. Chief Marketing Officer Mike Sievert said the average speed customers would get would be around 128 kilobits a second.

It's not enough to stream a video well, but can handle streaming music, e-mails, and social network status updates, he noted."

http://m.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-to-offer-free-unlimited-international-data-texts/57606784

Edited by YoungHov718
  • Like 1

"While the data is free, it won't be particularly fast. Customers can expect network speeds at around the same level that they get in the US after they are throttled. Chief Marketing Officer Mike Sievert said the average speed customers would get would be around 128 kilobits a second.

It's not enough to stream a video well, but can handle streaming music, e-mails, and social network status updates, he noted."

http://m.cnet.com/news/t-mobile-to-offer-free-unlimited-international-data-texts/57606784

Still something, but not switching for that

I'm buying the HTC One Max!!!

4G - LTE:
  • EMEA: 800/900/1800/2600 MHz
  • Asia: 900/1800/2100/2600 Mhz
  • AT&T: 700/850/AWS/1900/2600 MHz
  • Sprint: FDD 800/1900 MHz, TDD 2600 MHz
  • Verizon: 700/AWS MHz

although it might have triband, i think HTC is a little to late into the game. only has snapdragon 600 for a flagship, 4megapixel camera, etc. i think LG g2 is a better phone overall. I will just wait and see has triband pan out in nyc