Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Im usually in Jamaica, NY 11435 or Brooklyn, NY 11207 and got Verizon which is good in most places but I think they are a bit over rated. I think AT&T has better service but Verizon doesn't throttle at all I've hit 60 gb in a month wihtout any issues with them.

But, my bill is too high so looking to make the switch to Sprint does anyone have any info on when LTE will hit those markets cuz I'm trying to make the switch a.s.a.p?

Edited by daboybk

Im usually in Jamaica, NY 11435 or Brooklyn, NY 11207 and got Verizon which is good in most places but I think they are a bit over rated. I think AT&T has better service but Verizon doesn't throttle at all I've hit 60 gb in a month wihtout any issues with them.

But, my bill is too high so looking to make the switch to Sprint does anyone have any info on when LTE will hit those markets cuz I'm trying to make the switch a.s.a.p?

Official launch is supposed to be next month but as for where we will see LTE. I am not sure.

I'm in a area when there is 4G but it switches back to 3G. When it's back on 4G it becomes impossible to send messages.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

They might be testing it! in my area in corona queens they upgrading the towers i saw them putting up the new LTE antenna but idk when will it be running cause my service has been off and on since last week

You should have it definitely by November.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

yea by November it should be in the whole city as i could see on Network.sprint.com all the speed upgrades has been done in the pass 6 months so soon they will unblock all the LTE towers they have on those towers on in the Bronx might of been left on but in 2 weeks or less we should see more LTE pop up in the city i hope so

There is no way that NYC will be ready by end of November. I am thinking a mid to late December release will be better for first impression and overall stability of the LTE network. Looking at the latest update on the deployment running list thread, it has NYC at 14% of all NV towers completed currently which is not enough. I think a minimum of 25-30% launch market policy should be adhered to for the largest market in the US.

The same goes for Los Angeles. I know it says an October launch but due to the wide area that LA covers, I think they should hold off launching the market until mid to late December since they only have about 19% of all NV towers completed currently which is not much more than NYC has.

I agree with Eric . Unless they find some way to really ramp up production , I see no conceivable way that they can officially launch in November , which starts next week. As someone who looks at the sponsor maps every week, I personally don't see enough lte to blanket a significant area of NYC. With that said, I know for a fact that they're blocking some lte towers, so if they can unblock what's already complete for a pre-launch ala Chicago , I'd be fine with that.

I feel like so many NV towers are simply being blocked. For most of the initial launch markets 20% or less was completed. NV production in the city is really starting to speed up and no one said it will be announced day 1. There are 30 days in November. You never know, maybe the tower you are connected to will have 4G.

I feel like so many NV towers are simply being blocked. For most of the initial launch markets 20% or less was completed. NV production in the city is really starting to speed up and no one said it will be announced day 1. There are 30 days in November. You never know, maybe the tower you are connected to will have 4G.

Yea I feel like most of the towers in my area are blocked cause I saw alcatel Lucent at the site near my house adding the new antenna and LTE soon it should be completed

I understand for the first 4 markets they launched in Texas and Atlanta that under 20% of all NV towers completed was ok at the time to launch. However very quickly there was bad press that in most of 4G LTE launch areas, people were only able to retain LTE for 2 mins before dropping back down to 3G. If you are Sprint PR and you hear those type of things from tech blogs, Sprint customers, your competitors in AT&T and Verizon, this must be irritating and stressful to live up to the proposed 4G LTE coverage maps that they have posted on their website.

In big cities like Chicago, LA, and NYC, Sprint cannot afford to declare any of these big cities as LTE launch ready when only 2 out of every 10 towers only have LTE. I understand as being a heavy follower of this site that coverage will improve over time but first impressions make a huge difference especially if Sprint is trying to draw new customers away from Tmobile, Verizon and AT&T to offer unlimited 4G LTE data that is actually usable for more than 5 mins of driving around. It will be useless if its only usable for a short distance. Smaller cities can get away with the 20% launch and be ok but big cities like Chicago, LA and NYC need at least 30-40% of its towers IMO to be safe for market launch. Chicago does not have this problem since they are well above 50% of all towers launched with LTE but LA and NYC are so far away from being launched that even a mid December might be a stretch.

• Like 1

I understand for the first 4 markets they launched in Texas and Atlanta that under 20% of all NV towers completed was ok at the time to launch. However very quickly there was bad press that in most of 4G LTE launch areas, people were only able to retain LTE for 2 mins before dropping back down to 3G. If you are Sprint PR and you hear those type of things from tech blogs, Sprint customers, your competitors in AT&T and Verizon, this must be irritating and stressful to live up to the proposed 4G LTE coverage maps that they have posted on their website.

In big cities like Chicago, LA, and NYC, Sprint cannot afford to declare any of these big cities as LTE launch ready when only 2 out of every 10 towers only have LTE. I understand as being a heavy follower of this site that coverage will improve over time but first impressions make a huge difference especially if Sprint is trying to draw new customers away from Tmobile, Verizon and AT&T to offer unlimited 4G LTE data that is actually usable for more than 5 mins of driving around. It will be useless if its only usable for a short distance. Smaller cities can get away with the 20% launch and be ok but big cities like Chicago, LA and NYC need at least 30-40% of its towers IMO to be safe for market launch. Chicago does not have this problem since they are well above 50% of all towers launched with LTE but LA and NYC are so far away from being launched that even a mid December might be a stretch.

Exactly as our friend AndyNYC stated, it will just be a prelaunch. Although Chicago is near 50% complete, most of the Chicago sites are in the suburbs. Little to none are in the actual city of Chicago. Although the 4G will only be usable for 5 minutes, over time, you'll see that amount of time increase to the point where the 4G will blanket most of the city and you won't have a problem anymore. I understand that announcing and it isn't citywide will make customers angry, but I think it will be even worse for them to hold out longer on an announcement for the largest and arguably, most important city for Sprint.

Exactly as our friend AndyNYC stated, it will just be a prelaunch. Although Chicago is near 50% complete, most of the Chicago sites are in the suburbs. Little to none are in the actual city of Chicago. Although the 4G will only be usable for 5 minutes, over time, you'll see that amount of time increase to the point where the 4G will blanket most of the city and you won't have a problem anymore. I understand that announcing and it isn't citywide will make customers angry, but I think it will be even worse for them to hold out longer on an announcement for the largest and arguably, most important city for Sprint.

Yup that's what I mean since it will be a prelaunch as time goes by 4G LTE will blanket most of the city

• Like 1

Sure Sprint can do a prelaunch of LA Metro and that would be fine. I guess they can just be in prelaunch mode for a month or two. But my point was realistically LA won't be LTE market ready to provide sufficient coverage for launch until end of December. I just think Sprint needs to be careful of declaring any market LTE ready when it only has 20% of its sites especially since LA covers such a huge area. The first 4 markets launched did not have a prelaunch period that extended more than 1 week.

We all understand here at S4GRU.com that coverage and consistent performance will improve over time as more and more towers get completed but I am trying to put myself as the common Sprint customer or a potential new customer who doesn't understand Network Vision that when a market is launched that not all sites will be ready so don't expect consistent performance throughout the city just yet.

• Like 2

That's not quite true. Over the last three weeks, a huge number of LTE sites have been added in Chicago proper. And Chicago was moved out of pre-launch mode this week with just over 60% completed.

LA IS in pre-launch mode now, with completed sites being made discoverable. At the rate of completion right now, I would not be surprised to see Sprint announce LA as an LTE market sometime in late November. If you become a sponsor, you can have access to the maps of completed sites in active markets, and see the current rate of production.

It would seem that Sprint is allowing connections to pretty much any completed tower now. So I would almost say that the pre-launch notion is no longer relevant as every market that has LTE complete towers are now allowing connections. I have no idea when NYC will be ready to be announced, but I do think that any completed towers will be released to the public, effectively putting it into pre-launch. :imo:

• Like 2

That's not quite true. Over the last three weeks, a huge number of LTE sites have been added in Chicago proper. And Chicago was moved out of pre-launch mode this week with just over 60% completed.

LA IS in pre-launch mode now, with completed sites being made discoverable. At the rate of completion right now, I would not be surprised to see Sprint announce LA as an LTE market sometime in late November. If you become a sponsor, you can have access to the maps of completed sites in active markets, and see the current rate of production.

It would seem that Sprint is allowing connections to pretty much any completed tower now. So I would almost say that the pre-launch notion is no longer relevant as every market that has LTE complete towers are now allowing connections. I have no idea when NYC will be ready to be announced, but I do think that any completed towers will be released to the public, effectively putting it into pre-launch. :imo:

That is not quite true being that I know Network Vision sights in Brooklyn that are up and no one I know is connecting to LTE In the area.

At this point it is what it is, and when it happens it does. So far every one has an opinion of what will happen but until it does happen remember it is just an opinion. That said it is close enough to have me patiently waiting, because I love the GSIII performance over every other phone that I had. Using the GSIII on 3 g is no different than using my Photon because 4G only happened in certain areas, but the GSIII is far more responsive as an over all unit.

• Like 2