Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

I think these are repeaters for NYPD.

Oh ok. That was actually my second guess. My third was AT&T who, as I understand it, has a very small small cell deployment. I came across some permits from them for small cells sometime last year. 

I just did a speed test on Wall Street and got 19Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I thought speeds were supposed to be slow around there?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It depends on where.

I've been downtown and gotten stuck on 3G quite often.

It depends on where.

I've been downtown and gotten stuck on 3G quite often.

My internship this summer has me in the Financial District but mostly around Wall Street to Fulton. One of these days I'm going to have to go down by the seaport and to the WTC to test out the network. So far, LTE everywhere, even in my office. In the building I'm working in, I even have LTE in the elevator although only in the top floors. Lower down in the building, that's not the case.

When I was working down in Wall Street they were turning on a bunch of band 41 sites... there definitely has been an improvement but sectors still get overloaded. But it's definitely more consistent

How long has Verizon been running a Band 2 network in NYC? They have a lot of spectrum on air here. 40 MHz AWS, 30Mhz PCS, and 20Mhz 700MHz. That's how they stay fast despite the amount of customers they have.

Well, that and data caps.

• Like 1

How long has Verizon been running a Band 2 network in NYC? They have a lot of spectrum on air here. 40 MHz AWS, 30Mhz PCS, and 20Mhz 700MHz. That's how they stay fast despite the amount of customers they have.

Well, that and data caps.

Aren't they massively into small cells there as well? I find it funny that on one industry site I won't name, I saw a bunch of people knocking small cells because Sprint was doing small cells. Yet AT&T and Verizon already have extensive small cell deployments and T-Mobile is moving forward with LAA, a technology reliant on indoor small cells.

I found a small cell setup in Sparta, IL for what it is worth. Ericsson small cell, probably not all that different from what Ericsson and T-Mobile uses in New York. That rural enough of a small cell deployment for you?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

On my graduation day not too long ago..Ive been to the top of MSG where they sell food and stuff and i was holding onto sprints b41 really good on my note 4 then i reset the connection and it went to b26 in which it was almost perfect signal of -72. Then i went down to the corridors right by the Theater and i was downloading something, it was going about 12Mbits/s (1.5 MB/s) constant on b26

There were alot of people at the graduation and i was able to get that speed. I was happy :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by sunmybun

On my graduation day not too long ago..Ive been to the top of MSG where they sell food and stuff and i was holding onto sprints b41 really good on my note 4 then i reset the connection and it went to b26 in which it was almost perfect signal of -72. Then i went down to the corridors right by the Theater and i was downloading something, it was going about 12Mbits/s (1.5 MB/s) constant on b26

There were alot of people at the graduation and i was able to get that speed. I was happy :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Sprint is on MSG's DAS and it really shows how awesome experience could be in a public venue.

• Like 1

Does anyone know who provides service in Penn Stations? Is it though a Sprint DAS or is it transit wireless. I believe Sprint is the only carrier who is still only 3G in Penn. I wonder what the hold up is in such a heavy traffic area. 

Does anyone know who provides service in Penn Stations? Is it though a Sprint DAS or is it transit wireless. I believe Sprint is the only carrier who is still only 3G in Penn. I wonder what the hold up is in such a heavy traffic area. 

I believe there is a legacy DAS in place that needs to be upgraded. The other carriers are also relying on macro coverage to offset.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/02/finally-wifi-inside-subway-cars-could-be-happening-soon/

It appears that four E train cars have been fitted with WiFi.  A user on the board I follow for subways (www.subchat.com) reported he was able to keep a phone call going express from 71st Ave to Roosevelt Ave.  I know Transit Wireless had talked about directing signals down tunnels but that stretch of the Queens Boulevard line is pretty twitsy.  Maybe they're expanding their DAS to include tunnels?  Not sure how the WiFi would work otherwise.  I know on the E from 7th Ave to 14th Street I've been able to keep a data signal but aside from the turn from 7th to 50th, that part of the line is a pretty straight shot.

Needless to say, this is pretty cool and it'd be great if data was in the tunnels.

I believe there is a legacy DAS in place that needs to be upgraded. The other carriers are also relying on macro coverage to offset.

Does every Carrier have there own DAS? I spotted this in penn station. really macro sites? didnt think signal from outside could penetrate that far underground. 

View post on imgur.com
http://i.imgur.com/zma7gOq.jpg

http://nypost.com/2016/06/02/finally-wifi-inside-subway-cars-could-be-happening-soon/

It appears that four E train cars have been fitted with WiFi.  A user on the board I follow for subways (www.subchat.com) reported he was able to keep a phone call going express from 71st Ave to Roosevelt Ave.  I know Transit Wireless had talked about directing signals down tunnels but that stretch of the Queens Boulevard line is pretty twitsy.  Maybe they're expanding their DAS to include tunnels?  Not sure how the WiFi would work otherwise.  I know on the E from 7th Ave to 14th Street I've been able to keep a data signal but aside from the turn from 7th to 50th, that part of the line is a pretty straight shot.

Needless to say, this is pretty cool and it'd be great if data was in the tunnels.

What carrier was that user on?

Does every Carrier have there own DAS? I spotted this in penn station. really macro sites? didnt think signal from outside could penetrate that far underground. 

View post on imgur.com
http://i.imgur.com/zma7gOq.jpg

Penn Station is weird but I'm pretty sure there is no single DAS for every carrier. In theory you could have a site right across the street and have it pointed right into Penn.

Penn Station is weird but I'm pretty sure there is no single DAS for every carrier. In theory you could have a site right across the street and have it pointed right into Penn.

I'm pretty sure that most carriers just point their sites into Penn Station. Sprint on the other has a really strong signal indoors so my guess is that they have their own DAS setup in their that is probably overriding the signal coming from outdoors in some way which is good and bad.

Pros: People in the area whoa aren't in Penn Station don't have reduced service due to their sheer volume of people in the area.

Cons: There is only usable 3G but little (but still usable) LTE service.

Verizon has small cells everywhere in New York City. Their wireline division build the fiber conduits for their small cells.

In a weird way, Sprint is doing this too by leveraging their extensive knowledge of microwave backhaul solutions to implement LTE Relay for backhaul. Basically they're using their own service as backhaul which is pretty revolutionary.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that most carriers just point their sites into Penn Station. Sprint on the other has a really strong signal indoors so my guess is that they have their own DAS setup in their that is probably overriding the signal coming from outdoors in some way which is good and bad.

Pros: People in the area whoa aren't in Penn Station don't have reduced service due to their sheer volume of people in the area.

Cons: There is only usable 3G but little (but still usable) LTE service.

Sprint does have their own DAS there, hopefully should get LTE soon enough. 

In a weird way, Sprint is doing this too by leveraging their extensive knowledge of microwave backhaul solutions to implement LTE Relay for backhaul. Basically they're using their own service as backhaul which is pretty revolutionary.

Yep should be interesting to see in production.