Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

There are tons of similar setups to the one shown in your first link throughout the city. Who do those belong to? Are they ex-MetroPCS, VZW, or are they Clear like you said?

There are tons of similar setups to the one shown in your first link throughout the city. Who do those belong to? Are they ex-MetroPCS, VZW, or are they Clear like you said?

Keep in mind that those enclosures are meant to hide the equipment and make it look uniform, so it's very difficult to tell who's equipment is inside. 

The enclosures could be the same for all the carriers.

Keep in mind that those enclosures are meant to hide the equipment and make it look uniform, so it's very difficult to tell who's equipment is inside. 

The enclosures could be the same for all the carriers.

Ahhhh!!! I didn't know that! That's makes perfect sense! So I could've been looking at one the whole time and couldn't tell at all.

Ahhhh!!! I didn't know that! That's makes perfect sense! So I could've been looking at one the whole time and couldn't tell at all.

Yep the only way to tell is to check signal strength and throughput. 

I've been noticing these TransitWireless antennas popping up at a number of stations in Brooklyn but none of them are broadcasting anything yet. I noticed them in the mezzanine area at Franklin Avenue on the S/2/3/4/5 trains and at Nostrand Avenue on both levels on the A/C train.

I've been noticing these TransitWireless antennas popping up at a number of stations in Brooklyn but none of them are broadcasting anything yet. I noticed them in the mezzanine area at Franklin Avenue on the S/2/3/4/5 trains and at Nostrand Avenue on both levels on the A/C train.

This is probably to meet the wifi deadline. They want to have wifi live in every station by the end of 2016.

I noticed Canal st had the antennas but was not on. Well It turned on like 3 weeks ago, now i get transit wireless there. 

TransitWireless WiFi right? There doesn't seem to be any cellular signal there according to their maps. Wall Street was the same way. I never had WiFI there and then one day a few weeks ago it was live but there still isn't any cellular signal.

After 2 failed attempts at trying to get an answer about the DAS at Penn Station I finally got an answer, I hope its correct. I'll keep an eye on the antennas that are visible in Penn, I'm curious if the current ones can handle LTE or if the existing wiring can. IF the DAS is actually updated to B25, B25, and B41 it would 100% put Sprint as the best provider in Penn since all other carriers just have Macro sites pointed into the station.

Gn0mpPe.png

KcTJLQi.png

9jhYjZT.png

• Like 5

TransitWireless WiFi right? There doesn't seem to be any cellular signal there according to their maps. Wall Street was the same way. I never had WiFI there and then one day a few weeks ago it was live but there still isn't any cellular signal.

Yup just wifi, I connect to transit wireless anytime I have a chance even if I have LTE.

Transit wireless is blazing fast, anywhere from 40-80 mb/s. 

That being said I have a 6S now so I have experienced some of the 2x CA around my neighborhood.

On West 8th between neptune and surf the highest I got was 86mb/s. 

Edited by Palan

This looks like park Ave midtown.

gonna have to explore for it, i work on 33rd between park and madison. I've noticed major congestion all over midtown from like 29th street to 38th between 7th and park ave.  im always on clearwire B41 someones a second carrier or CA and i never pass 5mbps download. hopefully sprint swaps these site out for 8T8R Sprint B41 so they can have a 3rd carrier and a 4th carrier when the time comes. 

Ok, I see it now on my computer.

At least now we know, we won't be able to spot them as easily as you can in other markets since they look exactly like every other small cell/ODAS solution in the city. Also those pings remind me of the super low pings I got at the small cell by Pearl Street.

gonna have to explore for it, i work on 33rd between park and madison. I've noticed major congestion all over midtown from like 29th street to 38th between 7th and park ave.  im always on clearwire B41 someones a second carrier or CA and i never pass 5mbps download. hopefully sprint swaps these site out for 8T8R Sprint B41 so they can have a 3rd carrier and a 4th carrier when the time comes. 

I'm not sure how many are compatible, but Tim was saying in another thread that some Samsung Clear equipment supports split cells, so 4 carriers per sector. I think you might have that in NYC?

• Like 1

one thing to take into account when running speed test make sure to try different servers. I find that the auto selected servers are way more bogged.
  • Like 1

one thing to take into account when running speed test make sure to try different servers. I find that the auto selected servers are way more bogged.

Yes i've noticed that as well, they select the best on based on ping. I usally see like 29ms ping and speeds at like 1-3mbps on auto select, if i switch to my perfect servers like towerstream, or optimum, the ping goes up to like 35 but the speeds will double. 

It's 58th and park. Just found it on Gmaps.

It's 58th and park. Just found it on Gmaps.

yepp thats its, the google street view is from september 2015 and i see a box and antenna on the poll but the placement and size is different, im guessing this was a clear wimaxx mini cell.

edit: doesn't show up in the maps on this site but one does for 59th and park, maybe thats its. 

• Like 1