Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Optimum internet has been going in and out for the past few days due to Verizon setting up FiOS in my neighborhood. They've been going slowly but they're slowly making their way to my block. Right now they're about 1 block away from my home. During the day the internet is on and off and at night everything goes back to normal.

I'm so glad I switched to the new unlimited plan because the 3GB of tethering is doing wonders right now. I even connected my Xbox to it!

YoGMlYA.png

EDIT: This is a -110dbm Band 41 signal in my home. Imagine if I had a 2xCA device.

• Like 2

Optimum internet has been going in and out for the past few days due to Verizon setting up FiOS in my neighborhood. They've been going slowly but they're slowly making their way to my block. Right now they're about 1 block away from my home. During the day the internet is on and off and at night everything goes back to normal.

I'm so glad I switched to the new unlimited plan because the 3GB of tethering is doing wonders right now. I even connected my Xbox to it!

YoGMlYA.png

EDIT: This is a -110dbm Band 41 signal in my home. Imagine if I had a 2xCA device.

I was using my hotspot for internet when my cable modem signal from the line outside was too low to be stable. (problem fixed now).  I had up to 32 mb download and 3 mbs upload at -110dmb on band 41, but it's with a 2XCA capable device. The 40gb family plan with hotspot is awesome. 

• Like 1

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2016/1H

Is new york this bad according to the report? Even after 2xCA, this seems odd to me.

The blocked and dropped calls as well as speeds don't reflect my experience even with a single carrier device here. But there tests are the most scientific ones we have so it must be that way for some reason.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The blocked and dropped calls as well as speeds don't reflect my experience even with a single carrier device here. But there tests are the most scientific ones we have so it must be that way for some reason.

Definitely something is not quite right there...

I typically do not fall below 10mbs...

One thing I never understood, why do they lump NYC with "Tri-state area"

• Like 2

Definitely something is not quite right there...

I typically do not fall below 10mbs...

One thing I never understood, why do they lump NYC with "Tri-state area"

That makes a lot of sense actually. I usually don't fall below 8Mbps either. It's very likely that the rest of the tri-state area simply hasn't received as much attention as NYC in terms of new macros and Band 41.

• Like 1

Sprint score is down because RootMetrics also test southern NJ as part of tri state Area. Sprint needs a lot of work in that area.

All of nj needs a lot of work from sprint...but unlike new Jersey sprints new York network is pretty solid

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

http://rootmetrics.com/en-US/rootscore/map/metro/new-york-city-and-tri-state-area/2016/1H

Is new york this bad according to the report? Even after 2xCA, this seems odd to me. 

I mean it's not bad. 93 is far better than a 60, and it's an A- technically to my college. I'm fine with it! Nothing wrong with 7Mbps median download. Just need to improve that 7Mbps to point of consistency in terms of LTE footprint.

• Like 3

I mean it's not bad. 93 is far better than a 60, and it's an A- technically to my college. I'm fine with it! Nothing wrong with 7Mbps median download. Just need to improve that 7Mbps to point of consistency in terms of LTE footprint.

I have no problem with 7mbs, what I do have a problem with is that not actually being NYC's average. 

I'm pretty certain it's probably nearly double that in the five borough's and ATT is probably closer to half their recorded speed. 

T-Mobile is certainly not 3 times faster in NYC, it's probably pretty close give or take a few MBs.

• Like 1

I have no problem with 7mbs, what I do have a problem with is that not actually being NYC's average.

I'm pretty certain it's probably nearly double that in the five borough's and ATT is probably closer to half their recorded speed.

T-Mobile is certainly not 3 times faster in NYC, it's probably pretty close give or take a few MBs.

Well it's not the average, it's the median. Two very different things my friend!

It depends on the area and if it's indoors then the speeds are crappy. If you're also by FiDi and indoors then you'll Def notice below 1mbps speeds. I average .5mbps highest when I'm at work in FiDi

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

The New York Tri state market needs a lot of work period. I convinced a couple of family members to switch to Sprint and they had a bad experience with their phones jumping all over to 3G. Obviously they went back to their respective carriers.

RootMetrics got right, Verizon and Tmobile are neck and neck for the best carrier position in New York. One of the reasons why Verizon is the top dog is because you get the same consistency everywhere. Although Tmobile is impressive here in New York City due to their dense grid, you get 50 megabits down in a block then travel 5 blocks down and it drops to 2.

Speed tests doesn't impress me because We need to look at the amount of customers carrier X has in that particular market compared with Carrier Y, and that impact the reports.

Sprint problem is lack of consistency everywhere . I don't really care about extreme speeds unless I get consistency. Only Magentans are obsessed with speeds while Verizon customers doesn't really care.

• Like 2

The New York Tri state market needs a lot of work period. I convinced a couple of family members to switch to Sprint and they had a bad experience with their phones jumping all over to 3G. Obviously they went back to their respective carriers.

RootMetrics got right, Verizon and Tmobile are neck and neck for the best carrier position in New York. One of the reasons why Verizon is the top dog is because you get the same consistency everywhere. Although Tmobile is impressive here in New York City due to their dense grid, you get 50 megabits down in a block then travel 5 blocks down and it drops to 2.

Speed tests doesn't impress me because We need to look at the amount of customers carrier X has in that particular market compared with Carrier Y, and that impact the reports.

Sprint problem is lack of consistency everywhere . I don't really care about extreme speeds unless I get consistency. Only Magentans are obsessed with speeds while Verizon customers doesn't really care.

Verizon holds onto their #1 spot due to their small cells. In my experience they are the best network here, period. T-Mobile is a great alternative but in my experience in more rural areas they seem to crap out even with their new network that's "twice as large as they were before". Even in suburban Massachusetts my friends on T-Mobile ask for my phone to make calls.

The 3G issue is not something that I myself have experienced in NYC proper (with the exception of Staten Island maybe once). I feel like that's some thing relegated to the suburbs and that it's something that can only be fixed by increasing density I. These areas by way of small cells, mini-macros, and full builds.

These are all thing Sprint is already in the process of doing.

I am all over NYC, and as I have stated before, I just do not drop to 3G. My billing statement corroborates that (.02GB 3G and 21GB on LTE)

But, at the end of the day, the five borough's is not the tristate area. But even when I go out to North NJ I do not have any issues.

• Like 2

Verizon holds onto their #1 spot due to their small cells. In my experience they are the best network here, period. T-Mobile is a great alternative but in my experience in more rural areas they seem to crap out even with their new network that's "twice as large as they were before". Even in suburban Massachusetts my friends on T-Mobile ask for my phone to make calls.

The 3G issue is not something that I myself have experienced in NYC proper (with the exception of Staten Island maybe once). I feel like that's some thing relegated to the suburbs and that it's something that can only be fixed by increasing density I. These areas by way of small cells, mini-macros, and full builds.

These are all thing Sprint is already in the process of doing.

Sprint has to improve time on B41 TDD-LTE universally. Sprint has, in most of their markets, anywhere between 60 to 80% of their spectrum in B41. Time on B41 LTE is the big metric that will improve Sprint the quickest. It is the capacity layer. If Sprint has issues in places where devices fall back to B25, B26, or worse, 3G or 1X, it is going to make a major dent in the user experience. There's areas where Sprint is kicking ass on the speed test wars. That's not the issue most customers are having. It's congestion on non-B41 sectors. 

All that while keeping the C11 lawyers away. This is not an easy situation to deal with. 

Magenta has great speeds urban but they still are going to need more density everywhere else. Small cells and more macros in suburban, exurban, and rural. I know some denigrate small cells but they can be an effective solution in rural due to keeping costs in control. A macro cell might not be able to return investment in a lot of places for T-Mobile, but small cells can. 

I am all over NYC, and as I have stated before, I just do not drop to 3G. My billing statement corroborates that (.02GB 3G and 21GB on LTE)

But, at the end of the day, the five borough's is not the tristate area. But even when I go out to North NJ I do not have any issues.

That's good but B25/B26 is going to inevitably hit congestion points in a city that dense. Hence the small cell strategy. 

Sprint can also bring in 3D beamforming into the picture along with 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM. That's something that is going to bring even greater capacity gains. 

http://networks.nokia.com/portfolio/products/mobile-broadband/long-term-evolution-lte/td-lte

http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-shows-industry-s-first-td-lte-advanced-3-carrier-aggregation-plus-256-qam-u

See the Nokia LG U+ video for a 3D beamforming demonstration. 

Sprint has to improve time on B41 TDD-LTE universally. Sprint has, in most of their markets, anywhere between 60 to 80% of their spectrum in B41. Time on B41 LTE is the big metric that will improve Sprint the quickest. It is the capacity layer. If Sprint has issues in places where devices fall back to B25, B26, or worse, 3G or 1X, it is going to make a major dent in the user experience. There's areas where Sprint is kicking ass on the speed test wars. That's not the issue most customers are having. It's congestion on non-B41 sectors.

All that while keeping the C11 lawyers away. This is not an easy situation to deal with.

Magenta has great speeds urban but they still are going to need more density everywhere else. Small cells and more macros in suburban, exurban, and rural. I know some denigrate small cells but they can be an effective solution in rural due to keeping costs in control. A macro cell might not be able to return investment in a lot of places for T-Mobile, but small cells can.

That's good but B25/B26 is going to inevitably hit congestion points in a city that dense. Hence the small cell strategy.

Sprint can also bring in 3D beamforming into the picture along with 4x4 MIMO and 256 QAM. That's something that is going to bring even greater capacity gains.

http://networks.nokia.com/portfolio/products/mobile-broadband/long-term-evolution-lte/td-lte

http://networks.nokia.com/news-events/press-room/press-releases/nokia-networks-shows-industry-s-first-td-lte-advanced-3-carrier-aggregation-plus-256-qam-u

See the Nokia LG U+ video for a 3D beamforming demonstration.

But again, I am barely not on B41. The last rounds of optimization did wonders with sticking onto B41.

Do not forget how dense B41 is in NYC Clear+Sprint is extremely dense.

I also think that manufactures+Sprint have to do a better job at device level optimizations.

Too much variation between devices not switching to correct bands.

iPhones are the best example, they used to be good, but after a few updates have become nowhere near as optimized as other devices. N6P with last radio is a beast, and while I do like that, there should not be such a huge discrepancy.

• Like 1

I've noticed more and more how optimized the network has gotten. In my apartment my phone will switch between very usable B41 and B25 without any hiccup, which is nice.

What this market needs is more B41 infill, which is where those Mobilitie small cells will come into play.

• Like 4

Hi to everyone on Reddit who is making their way to this thread! ????

Also, for those who think there's going to be a drop in call reliability scores for Verizon when they switch to VoLTE... I don't think so. Verizon has VoLTE pretty nailed down here. I can imagine NYC will be the same. I have only dropped one call on VoLTE the one time I've had it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

4f23dcd331117f11f4c54e1d867a3951.jpg

Does anyone know who's this is? My first guess is Verizon since they have extensive small cells here. This one is right in front of the building that I'm working at this summer near Wall St.

Does anyone know who's this is? My first guess is Verizon since they have extensive small cells here. This one is right in front of the building that I'm working at this summer near Wall St.

I think these are repeaters for NYPD.