Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

Yea I noticed also. I wonder their building penetration though. Hspa+ had really good building penetration but not not sure how their lte will hold up. As far as sprint's lte building penetration, I think there is a room to improve.

That's because Sprint is deploying for coverage right now. I think T-Mobile is going for small dense pockets of LTE first.

T-mobile is concentrating on urban markets only. Sprint has contractors spread all throughout the State of NY working on both inner city and rural areas at the same time. In addition, T-mobile sites don't have to wait for upgraded backhaul so they can get their cell site sup and running much quicker than Sprint.

• Like 1

T-mobile is concentrating on urban markets only. Sprint has contractors spread all throughout the State of NY working on both inner city and rural areas at the same time. In addition, T-mobile sites don't have to wait for upgraded backhaul so they can get their cell site sup and running much quicker than Sprint.

DId they already upgraded the backhaul for hspa+?

DId they already upgraded the backhaul for hspa+?

yep. They had to in order to achieve the speeds of HSPA+21 and DC-HSPA+42. All they have to do is give a call to the backhaul provider to increase the capacity / speeds in order to support both HSPA+ and LTE and they're done. Dont have to rip out old copper T1 lines and replace them with new lines etc.

Yeah didn't know until I was told in this forum. It is slower in general though right?

1xrtt is limited to 128kbps & evdo is 3200kbps for peak theoretical Max.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

I guess tmobile thinks people have a lot of patience

tmobile already has upgrades for backhaul so the process is MUCH faster.

Look at the bright side. Even though t-mobile may deploy at a much faster rate in urban areas than sprint, they don't hold the SMR 800 trump card which will be the differentiating point for sprint. Coverage inside buildings!

• Like 2

I've been reading other forums about T-Mobile's LTE but people still think that coverage is the main factor in the U.S. rather than speed. People say they don't think T-Mobile will pass Sprint until it increases coverage and gets sub 1Ghz spectrum, which Sprint has.

• Like 1

Look at the bright side. Even though t-mobile may deploy at a much faster rate in urban areas than sprint, they don't hold the SMR 800 trump card which will be the differentiating point for sprint. Coverage inside buildings!

I've been reading other forums about T-Mobile's LTE but people still think that coverage is the main factor in the U.S. rather than speed. People say they don't think T-Mobile will pass Sprint until it increases coverage and gets sub 1Ghz spectrum, which Sprint has.

yea I agree. but 99 percent of the time we do not leave the city and Tmobile has great HSPA+ speed and now deploying LTE fast. I have to say that at least in urban areas like nyc, tmobile is actually very competitive. However, i still have good faith in 800mhz/2500mhz LTE on sprint for the long run. I have a question. will 800mhz LTE on sprint will take as long as deploying 1900mhz LTE or is it just turning on the switch by a software? 

yea I agree. but 99 percent of the time we do not leave the city and Tmobile has great HSPA+ speed and now deploying LTE fast. I have to say that at least in urban areas like nyc, tmobile is actually very competitive. However, i still have good faith in 800mhz/2500mhz LTE on sprint for the long run. I have a question. will 800mhz LTE on sprint will take as long as deploying 1900mhz LTE or is it just turning on the switch by a software?

I think it's just a switch. Or it was done at the same time as the 1900 sites and it can't get switched on until after June 30, when Nextel gets shut down.

I said the same thing lol, and it's looking like that will be the case. Not that it matters to me, since I don't have a phone capable of LTE, but still.

I know if I didn't have a LTE capable phone, I wouldn't really care. Besides Long Island, most of NYC us done anyway. It's really just LI

I think it's just a switch. Or it was done at the same time as the 1900 sites and it can't get switched on until after June 30, when Nextel gets shut down.

All NV sites already have 800 hardware up. They can't turn it on without a carrier card and the shutdown of the Nextel network.

• Like 1

I know if I didn't have a LTE capable phone, I wouldn't really care. Besides Long Island, most of NYC us done anyway. It's really just LI

I don't really care who arrives here first since both should have LTE when it's time for me to upgrade/switch in the fall, I just expected Sprint to be first. My main concern is with the 3G. I live in Queens, but I'm in the Long Island market half of the time.

Well, we know LTE has started in Long Island. Shouldn't be long until deployment begins ramping up in Long Island and this summer, I am sure we will see areas like Downtown Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island, and Lower Manhattan get LTE faster than before.

• Like 1

A lot of NV hardware is already installed for 800,its a matter of installing a carrier card in most of the already active sites to initiate it. Yes T-Mobile will lag behind without any sub ghz spectrum to penetrate deep into buildings,as for them beating Sprint on deployment in your area..it could happen, like I said earlier their backhaul is already in place so site conversions Can happen im under 24 hours. If you check the NV complete maps you will know that 3G has been entirely overhauled for new York ,so 4G is coming quickly.

• Like 1

True , my friend on Verizon assumes just because she always has LTE that Verizon is better than Sprint . Coverage is always a good thing but it doesn't mean that ur speeds will be fast , Verizon's speeds absolutely suck as a matter of fact on average Sprint LTE will surpass Verizon. From the speedtest i've ran on Verizon their speeds vary from 3-5up & down .

A lot of NV hardware is already installed for 800,its a matter of installing a carrier card in most of the already active sites to initiate it. Yes T-Mobile will lag behind without any sub ghz spectrum to penetrate deep into buildings,as for them beating Sprint on deployment in your area..it could happen, like I said earlier their backhaul is already in place so site conversions Can happen im under 24 hours. If you check the NV complete maps you will know that 3G has been entirely overhauled for new York ,so 4G is coming quickly.

There's no way that's true, the NYC market is only 50% complete. Most places I frequent still have slow 3G.

There's no way that's true, the NYC market is only 50% complete. Most places I frequent still have slow 3G.

Just because 3G is complete does not mean backhaul is live on the site sir. It may be only once 4G is turned on that 3g is hooked up to fiber.

• Like 2

Quite the opposite for me. Their have been rare occasions where 3G has been slow. Again we are talking about NYC, which LI officially isn't included.

• Like 1

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-unveils-tri-band-4G-LTE-broadband-devices-to-release-them-in-the-summer_id43258
"Sprint unveils tri-band 4G LTE broadband devices, to release them in the summer"
"Sprint has used the ongoing CTIA conference as a stage to announce a bunch of 4G LTE broadband devices that will become available to the carrier's clients sometime this summer.

The three devices are the MiFi 500 LTE by Novatel WirelessNETGEAR Zing Mobile Hotspot and NETGEAR 341U USB Modem. Sprint is especially proud of the fact that these will be its first tri-band 4G LTE devices, meaning that they will be able to connect to the three LTE bands that happen to be within reach of the nation's third-largest carrier: 800 MHz, 1.9 GHz and 2.5 GHz.

According to Sprint, such kind of advanced connectivity will make the LTE experience with these devices significantly better, with noticeably stronger in-building coverage.

Now the only problem that seems to remain between Sprint and world domination is the LTE network's spotty coverage. That's something that Sprint doesn't have an answer for right now, but here's a map if you'd like to check whether you are among the few lucky ones."

• Like 3

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sprint-unveils-tri-band-4G-LTE-broadband-devices-to-release-them-in-the-summer_id43258

"Sprint unveils tri-band 4G LTE broadband devices, to release them in the summer"

"Sprint has used the ongoing CTIA conference as a stage to announce a bunch of 4G LTE broadband devices that will become available to the carrier's clients sometime this summer.

The three devices are the MiFi 500 LTE by Novatel WirelessNETGEAR Zing Mobile Hotspot and NETGEAR 341U USB Modem. Sprint is especially proud of the fact that these will be its first tri-band 4G LTE devices, meaning that they will be able to connect to the three LTE bands that happen to be within reach of the nation's third-largest carrier: 800 MHz, 1.9 GHz and 2.5 GHz.

EPIC!