Network Vision/LTE - New York City Market

Ace41690

do you guys think that since there are not that many towers has LTE currently, each tower is being overburdened? I see my phone try to be on the 4g network even though the signal is very weak and from far away. Since all the phones are searching for LTE, does that crowd the current LTE tower that is up and live? well, there are many has to be factored in like how many sprint users switched to LTE phones and other stuff.....

do you guys think that since there are not that many towers has LTE currently, each tower is being overburdened? I see my phone try to be on the 4g network even though the signal is very weak and from far away. Since all the phones are searching for LTE, does that crowd the current LTE tower that is up and live? well, there are many has to be factored in like how many sprint users switched to LTE phones and other stuff.....

Absolutely. Once there are more towers to connect to, speeds will fall under the advertised average hopefully.

As of right now, the more people that connect to the tower, the less efficient it should be. I think Evdo towers don't limit the number of connections it can accept.

Lol you can donate $1 if that's what you can afford.

Lmao , I don't have a credit card either, im supposed to be getting a debit card soon tho . ;)

I have been a longtime Sprint subscriber and ever since they announced LTE last year I was giddy about staying with Sprint as some of you may know Sprint 3g sucks. I wasn't only giddy because of the speed of the incoming LTE, it was also because I pay a relatively very cheap rate with Sprint (I have a family plan with four lines with a 25% corporate discount $210 after tax!). However in the recent months I have been totally frustrated by the absolutely inexcusably slow progress, now to be fair the have activated LTE for the cell sites in and around my area however indoors it's a complete crapshoot not to mention the speeds aren't all that amazing usually around 8 mbps. I decided I was going to try T-Mobile with the HTC One and was blown away by even the hspa+ (speeds around 10mbps!). It's a little more money with the $20 a month for the phone financing but at least I can launch google maps when I'm in Manhattan without waiting an inordinate amount of time for the maps to load.I still have my Sprint plan as well and an willing to stay with Sprint if they get full NYC LTE coverage in the very near future (my contract is up in October). My question is when do you guys think it will happen? Will T-MOBILE be able to launch LTE this year? Or is it the same pipe dream I had with Sprint this post year?

Sprint's deployment speed has definitely picked up as of late. They are really moving. I wouldn't get discouraged about Sprint's deployment plan. They are getting faster, not slower.

I have both Sprint and T-Mobile, so I can compare/contrast.

Basically, there are places that Sprint is better and places that T-mobile is better.

DC-HSPA+ is nice, but LTE is definitely superior, even if you experience slightly slower speeds the lower latency makes up for it.

I would argue that from a users standpoint, both should offer very usable service on LTE.

Instead of getting caught up in 8mbit vs. 10mbit, DC-HSPA+ vs. LTE, etc. I would focus on coverage and how the service actually works for you. Do the things you do on both providers and pick the one that works better.

• Like 4

I have been a longtime Sprint subscriber and ever since they announced LTE last year I was giddy about staying with Sprint as some of you may know Sprint 3g sucks. I wasn't only giddy because of the speed of the incoming LTE, it was also because I pay a relatively very cheap rate with Sprint (I have a family plan with four lines with a 25% corporate discount $210 after tax!). However in the recent months I have been totally frustrated by the absolutely inexcusably slow progress, now to be fair the have activated LTE for the cell sites in and around my area however indoors it's a complete crapshoot not to mention the speeds aren't all that amazing usually around 8 mbps. I decided I was going to try T-Mobile with the HTC One and was blown away by even the hspa+ (speeds around 10mbps!). It's a little more money with the $20 a month for the phone financing but at least I can launch google maps when I'm in Manhattan without waiting an inordinate amount of time for the maps to load.I still have my Sprint plan as well and an willing to stay with Sprint if they get full NYC LTE coverage in the very near future (my contract is up in October). My question is when do you guys think it will happen? Will T-MOBILE be able to launch LTE this year? Or is it the same pipe dream I had with Sprint this post year?

wait out this summer. i think we all will have good idea how LTE would be like by the end of the summer. until then, we patiently wait.

NYC will probably be launched this year on T-Mobile and Sprint LTE. The difference is, Sprint will have better LTE coverage at completion and better indoor penetration.

I have no idea where tmobile is with lte completion in nyc. Sensorly shows that they have some in lic but not a good indication. Not sure about the penetration though. Tmobile has lower frequency

I have no idea where tmobile is with lte completion in nyc. Sensorly shows that they have some in lic but not a good indication. Not sure about the penetration though. Tmobile has lower frequency

Higher frequency actually with a 2100mhz downlink.

It's not about the mbps on LTE more than it is when there is no LTE what's the fallback, I mean if I travel to NJ will I be able to have LTE all the way through by summers end?

It's not about the mbps on LTE more than it is when there is no LTE what's the fallback, I mean if I travel to NJ will I be able to have LTE all the way through by summers end?

First LTE sites were accepted in northern NJ..finally looking forward to that..by summmer northern NJ should have a healthy amount of LTE..

It looks like almost all towers nearby my apartment have been lte ready. Problem is I get evdo rf of around 80 rssi but lte hovers around 100 rsrp. Not sure if all the towers are upgraded fully but is this all I will get? Speed is around 5mbps download on average. Although the room thats is facing the towers gets around lte signal of 90 rssi with 10+mbps download speed. Funny thing is the signal from the closest tower gives me 105rsrp and the tower I get best reception is further away. I guess it all depends on where the tower is facing.

Edited by pslee

I had no service for about an hour this morning, and when it returned, 3G wasn't usable until I left my area. As much as I want it to be due to NV, I doubt it is.

On the bright side, I'm getting stellar service in Long Island today, in an area where pings in the thousands were the norm not too long ago.

I had no service for about an hour this morning, and when it returned, 3G wasn't usable until I left my area. As much as I want it to be due to NV, I doubt it is.

On the bright side, I'm getting stellar service in Long Island today, in an area where pings in the thousands were the norm not too long ago.

That's exactly what's happening to me around my home. Service keeps dropping to 1x. A quick airplane mode cycle gets me 3G back but then drops me back down to 1x.

Crossing my fingers that it is NV being done. Either that or this damn Yankee game again. Lol

That's exactly what's happening to me around my home. Service keeps dropping to 1x. A quick airplane mode cycle gets me 3G back but then drops me back down to 1x.

Crossing my fingers that it is NV being done. Either that or this damn Yankee game again. Lol

That's the exact same thing I go through everyday, especially during rush hours, I've done the airplane mode cycle so much that I can do it without even looking lol. But today it just kept cycling between "Searching..." and "No Service" no matter what I did.

If it's NV, I wouldn't even mind, they can keep the tower offline for as long as they need lol.

That's the exact same thing I go through everyday, especially during rush hours, I've done the airplane mode cycle so much that I can do it without even looking lol. But today it just kept cycling between "Searching..." and "No Service" no matter what I did.

If it's NV, I wouldn't even mind, they can keep the tower offline for as long as they need lol.

You see, that makes me think...that if you properly inform your customers of impending disruption, they will take that into account and not have a fit after they cant browse the web for a few days..