Jelly Bean

nocturnal

Not sure if anyone posted this here, but thought it was interesting and a hint at what will be coming hopefully on the 27th.

http://www.engadget....-google-wallet/

Incase anyone thinks it's fake, if you go to the Google Play store and add the Galaxy Nexus, it does have a different wallpaper than normal.

Heres hoping it comes out for Sprint fast!

Edited by nocturnal

I figure from the picture nothing that big. Considering it might be called 4.1 I'm going to guess minor speed improvements, maybe a better way to update the os, you know, for companies like HTC who take 5 years to get out updates.. (evo 3d....)

Google Voice already has the Do Not Disturb but it could make an entry. Eitherway, I'm excited for it.

Crazy that Jelly Bean could already be on the cusp, and there are a lot of flagship phones without ICS. It also surprises me that Jelly Bean auto capitalizes in swiftkey

Sent from my CM9 Toro using Forum Runner

Crazy that Jelly Bean could already be on the cusp, and there are a lot of flagship phones without ICS. It also surprises me that Jelly Bean auto capitalizes in swiftkey

Since it's apparently a .1 upgrade, it must be a lot more refinements than new features. That hopefully means not too much work is required to update existing devices. Although if you now own a shiny new Samsung phone you shouldn't count on seeing jelly bean until next year, when key lime pie(?) is released. :(

You cannot forget that Google's rumored Siri competitor "Majel" could possibly make is debut on Jelly Bean. I for one am hoping that it gives OEMs an easier way to update the OS too. Cause the wait for some devices is absolutely terrible. Alot of the wait is from added boat that some carriers(*coughcough*Sprint*coughcough*) put into the device, and the custom skins. It would be great if Google could set limitations on both of those things in Jelly Bean.

Google is too busy upgrading their OS and not making sure that the Manufacturers keep their devices up to date. In January at CES, Sprint stated that the LG Viper would receive it's ICS upgrade not long after release. 2 months after release it's still on Gingerbread. It should have never been released with Gingerbread in my opinion as it has the processing power and plenty of RAM to run ICS. And now Google I/O starts on Wednesday and Jelly Bean is now around the corner? Frankly, this is getting ridiculous.

Since we are being frank, I would never buy a device counting on an Android upgrade in the future. Ever.

Also, Google allows any OEM to use any Android OS it wants. It doesn't require anyone to upgrade anything at any time. An OEM can create a new smartphone with Android 2.3 and tablet with Android 3.0 right this moment and never upgrade to a newer version of Android in the future.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

• Like 3

Since we are being frank, I would never buy a device counting on an Android upgrade in the future. Ever.

Also, Google allows any OEM to use any Android OS it wants. It doesn't require anyone to upgrade anything at any time. An OEM can create a new smartphone with Android 2.3 and tablet with Android 3.0 right this moment and never upgrade to a newer version of Android in the future.

Robert via Galaxy Nexus using Forum Runner

I bought the phone for the LTE, but hoping for the ICS upgrade. I just think that Google should have been more strict, that's all. If I can sell enough stuff, I'm going to go buy the EVO LTE off contract. At least there are custom ROM's for it already. I may even consider the SGS 3 as it really looks like a nice phone.

I think a lot of people think that the new version of android is going to suddenly fix every shortcoming on their phone. In fact, the hardware of the phone is designed to work on a specific version of android, and some features will either be disabled or not working optimally. I'm not sure that an update of android is much more than a few extra features, a theme change, and a whole new set of bugs that need to get fixed.

• Like 5

Google is too busy upgrading their OS and not making sure that the Manufacturers keep their devices up to date. In January at CES, Sprint stated that the LG Viper would receive it's ICS upgrade not long after release. 2 months after release it's still on Gingerbread. It should have never been released with Gingerbread in my opinion as it has the processing power and plenty of RAM to run ICS. And now Google I/O starts on Wednesday and Jelly Bean is now around the corner? Frankly, this is getting ridiculous.

Let me get this straight.... You mean people actually still wait for the manufacturers to roll out updates in order to get the latest version of Android?!?!? Odd.

Let me get this straight.... You mean people actually still wait for the manufacturers to roll out updates in order to get the latest version of Android?!?!? Odd.

Nope

I think a lot of people think that the new version of android is going to suddenly fix every shortcoming on their phone. In fact, the hardware of the phone is designed to work on a specific version of android, and some features will either be disabled or not working optimally. I'm not sure that an update of android is much more than a few extra features, a theme change, and a whole new set of bugs that need to get fixed.

If they rollout jellybean for the evo 4g lte I might not upgrade. I still have the bad memories of all the problems with my evo shift after the upgrade to gingerbread. If its not broke don't fix it!

• Like 1

Since we are being frank...

In that case, I am going to be Frank Drebin.

AJ

• Like 2

If they rollout jellybean for the evo 4g lte I might not upgrade. I still have the bad memories of all the problems with my evo shift after the upgrade to gingerbread. If its not broke don't fix it!

The OG Evo was terrible after its Gingerbread update. Even the patch update that also brought it to 2.3.7 brought even more problems. That's what made me decide I won't buy HTC again until their updates improve alot.

• Like 1

The OG Evo was terrible after its Gingerbread update. Even the patch update that also brought it to 2.3.7 brought even more problems. That's what made me decide I won't buy HTC again until their updates improve alot.

I have the OG Evo and I don't seem to remember any problems following Gingerbread. I was mainly running custom ROMs at that time so perhaps that's why I didn't see any issues, but there was certainly nothing that I noticed that I would call terrible.

• Like 1

The specific issue with the og evo was the fact that there wasn't enough memory and a lot of sacrifices had to be made. Gingerbread/sense had a far larger footprint than froyo/sense.

How much RAM does the OG Evo have? I seem to remember 384MB, which is the same as my OG Epic. Guess that means that Sense/Gingerbread is a pretty heavy skin, since performance actually *improved* on the Epic as it went from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread, at least in my experience.

It was actually 2.3.5, my bad. I forgot what the last update was to.

How much RAM does the OG Evo have? I seem to remember 384MB' date=' which is the same as my OG Epic. Guess that means that Sense/Gingerbread is a pretty heavy skin, since performance actually *improved* on the Epic as it went from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread, at least in my experience.[/quote']

I thought that it had 512MB? I guess it was probably around 384 or something around there due to the OS.

But yeah, Sense was a pretty heavy skin. And it was all the way up to Sense 3.5 I believe. And then if I remember right, HTC made Sense 4 alot lighter. But they never put anything newer than sense 1 on the OG Evo.

How much RAM does the OG Evo have? I seem to remember 384MB, which is the same as my OG Epic. Guess that means that Sense/Gingerbread is a pretty heavy skin, since performance actually *improved* on the Epic as it went from Eclair to Froyo to Gingerbread, at least in my experience.

It was actually 2.3.5, my bad. I forgot what the last update was to.

I thought that it had 512MB? I guess it was probably around 384 or something around there due to the OS.

But yeah, Sense was a pretty heavy skin. And it was all the way up to Sense 3.5 I believe. And then if I remember right, HTC made Sense 4 alot lighter. But they never put anything newer than sense 1 on the OG Evo.

Both the epic and the og evo had 512 of total ram. Now I can't speak for the epic but for the og evo the issue was rom. With 1 gig of rom, that didn't leave much space for anything else when it came to a gingerbread rom with sense.

Looking at my Epic right now:

Under Internal Phone Storage: I'm 438MB/498MB which really sucks...been having to uninstall a lot of apps to make room for new ones, even with everything transferred to SD card that I can.

Under RAM status: I'm 261MB/362MB. Yah, my performance is just SO wonderful. Stock epic with 2.3.6

Looking at my Epic right now:

Under Internal Phone Storage: I'm 438MB/498MB which really sucks...been having to uninstall a lot of apps to make room for new ones, even with everything transferred to SD card that I can.

Under RAM status: I'm 261MB/362MB. Yah, my performance is just SO wonderful. Stock epic with 2.3.6

The epic has 512mb of ram, some of that is allocated to the OS and whatever is left over is what you see under ram status.