Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Hey all... My friend called and complained about the horrible service over the last few months and got a $20 credit/month on his bill. They also said it should all be "Fixed" by September 7 (tomorrow). I'm guessing that might be the official roll-out date!? C'mon baby!

No way, no how will there be a Chicago roll-out tomorrow. If anything, they may see that nearby towers are supposed to be complete with NV upgrades. But I am even skeptical of that.

Robert

No way, no how, not a chance.

Now that I'm back in the city at my place and since I rarely am out in the burbs to take advantage of even a decent EVDO connection, I'm beginning to debate if it would be wise to return my Galaxy S3?

I can use an Epic 4G that has wimax in the mean time, because I'm getting a usual data connection of at best 80k down and probably 30k up. I mean I like the phone and all but thought Chicago would be live in part by now or soon, and I'm not bitching about the time frame bc it is what it is, but now I'm thinking using wimax in the meantime, and surely by the time lte really is available for downtown Chicago there will be newer "better" phones that will serve as the flagship phones, RIGHT?

Anyone got some feedback... please share!

You may want to get a WiMax hotspot to use with your GS-III in the interim. I would hate to go back myself to the Epic. Heck, I wouldn't even want to go back to the E4GT. You may even be able to get Sprint to give you the hotspot for a severe discount because of it being a customer service issue.

Robert

Heck I heard the Galaxy S4 is rumored to be out in like 4-5 months.

I can't see this happening. I am willing to entertain bets on this (where permissible by law).

Robert

Went to the northside(Edgewater,Uptown, Albany Park)of the city yesterday. I did see many of Sprints towers NV'd, RRU Equipment was on. But as far as speeds I saw no upgrade. Guess were waiting on backhaul?

• Like 1

Please report if you are getting ehrpd connection in the Chicago market. It was available at every north Chicagoland site i visited since early July and has since vanished!!!!

I've been seeing it on the I88 corridor. Don't get it in carol stream area or Joliet

Please report if you are getting ehrpd connection in the Chicago market. It was available at every north Chicagoland site i visited since early July and has since vanished!!!!

I was getting it in Gurnee for a while, then it recently stopped, but I'm still getting it in Arlington Heights.

• Like 1

I was getting it in Gurnee for a while, then it recently stopped, but I'm still getting it in Arlington Heights.

lucky, I work gurnee and kenosha. Haven't seen it in gurnee yet but the speeds have improved.

Sent From EVO LTE

Robert' date=' looking at the last several posts... seems that a lot of people are no longer seeing eHRPD anymore. Can you provide any insight as to why that may be?[/quote']

No. Its happened in other pre launch markets. It always has come back. Probably just an element of deployment.

Robert via Samsung Galaxy S-III 32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I got this link from a buddy in Chicago area and thought I would share it since it is relevant to this topic:

http://www.chicagotr...0,3787175.story

Have fun reading and does not really share too much information but it is nice to get a confirmation that Chicago will be mostly complete by the end of year.

I got this link from a buddy in Chicago area and thought I would share it since it is relevant to this topic:

http://www.chicagotr...0,3787175.story

Have fun reading and does not really share too much information but it is nice to get a confirmation that Chicago will be mostly complete by the end of year.

That was actually posted a couple days ago. :) Good read nonetheless

• Like 1

That was actually posted a couple days ago. :) Good read nonetheless

I fiugured the link had been posted but could not find it so I thought I would post just in case! ha ha! Thanks for alerting me to this!

No way, no how will there be a Chicago roll-out tomorrow. If anything, they may see that nearby towers are supposed to be complete with NV upgrades. But I am even skeptical of that.

Robert

You may want to get a WiMax hotspot to use with your GS-III in the interim. I would hate to go back myself to the Epic. Heck, I wouldn't even want to go back to the E4GT. You may even be able to get Sprint to give you the hotspot for a severe discount because of it being a customer service issue.

Robert

I can't see this happening. I am willing to entertain bets on this (where permissible by law).

Robert

Well even if it did, it doesn't mean it would be available in the US then let alone on Sprint, so I agree with you essentially. Plus, I was just going off an insiders website blurb talking about the rumored release date and how based upon tips and parts manufacturer orders that the next Galaxy S is supposed to be a "major" upgrade and update with a heavy focus on standalone media capabilities- whatever that exactly means?

The one thing they talked about in specific was a major upgrade to the audio, both in isolation of callers voices and clarity and the clarity and volume of the loudspeakers- I guess giving it 2 and essentially the ability to play music etc. at the same fidelity and volume as if it were connected to a speaker dock. Guess we'll have to wait and see?

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

Okay I don't know what this may indicate if anything, so maybe someone else can enlighten me if this is any type of indication of possible upgrade or work on the towers closest to my home ( right by LaSalle and Division).

It started a few weeks ago and before that I had a decent but not blazing fast data connection while at home.

It's been getting worse and worse, and today it's almost worthless. I did a speedtest a few times and notice that my upload speed is now always faster than my download speeds... ?

I'm averaging based on a couple of tests:

Ping: 1341

Upload: 109k

Download: 44k

Any significance to this as upload speed should never trump down speeds, correct? Assuming the network is running properly.

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

I was seeing mostly faster upload than download speeds for a while when lte first started rolling out around me but now that it's been on around here for about a month straight the download speeds are defiantly faster but that just in the last week or so

Hey guys, just wanted to provide a bit of an update. I was driving north on Barrington Rd today, and I remembered the posting here about the intersection of Barrington and Schaumburg. I passed right by it as I was heading north (even saw the Noodles & Co referenced) but no luck. I had my phone's screen on just to see, and shortly after I passed that intersection, there wasn't a 3G icon anymore...sure enough, 4G icon came up.

I pulled over into a parking lot (Casey's Automotive I think it was called) and ran a few speed tests. Not too shabby IMO, I would love to see these as a consistent speed. It jumped back to 3G just before I hit Bode Rd.

post-2796-0-01622100-1347069166_thumb.png

Hey guys, just wanted to provide a bit of an update. I was driving north on Barrington Rd today, and I remembered the posting here about the intersection of Barrington and Schaumburg. I passed right by it as I was heading north (even saw the Noodles & Co referenced) but no luck. I had my phone's screen on just to see, and shortly after I passed that intersection, there wasn't a 3G icon anymore...sure enough, 4G icon came up.

I pulled over into a parking lot (Casey's Automotive I think it was called) and ran a few speed tests. Not too shabby IMO, I would love to see these as a consistent speed. It jumped back to 3G just before I hit Bode Rd.

Once you pick up that signal and head over to noodles and company parking lot you will see a huge increase on the download, I posted a pic where it almost peaked at 38, but I don't imagine the signal being around to long as I'm hearing it's only testing. But I read somewhere that they should be done with about 50% of Chicagoland (when I mean Chicagoland, I am including suburbs) by the end of September. Also I called sprint and they told me they have finished all updates in Elgin and are moving east to Arlington Heights. So I'm praying 4g will be turned on and running in the Suburbs by months end or at least mid October!

Once you pick up that signal and head over to noodles and company parking lot you will see a huge increase on the download, I posted a pic where it almost peaked at 38, but I don't imagine the signal being around to long as I'm hearing it's only testing. But I read somewhere that they should be done with about 50% of Chicagoland (when I mean Chicagoland, I am including suburbs) by the end of September. Also I called sprint and they told me they have finished all updates in Elgin and are moving east to Arlington Heights. So I'm praying 4g will be turned on and running in the Suburbs by months end or at least mid October!

I'm still not seeing the backhaul updates in Elgin. There was one day where it was amazing and that's it.That was about three weeks ago. I still have my og epic and og evo so maybe that has something to do with it.

I'm still not seeing the backhaul updates in Elgin. There was one day where it was amazing and that's it.That was about three weeks ago. I still have my og epic and og evo so maybe that has something to do with it.

Distants might be a factor for you, I live near route 20 and Randall rd,

Here is a map of towers https://network.sprint.com/search/60123/

If I'm near the tower on larkin and mclean rd I get about 2.3 download on 3G, but by my house it's peaks about 1.3 download. There is an improvement.