Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Yes.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

As far as a ratio of information-to-words is concerned, this ranks up there with some of your most informative posts, but this is, by a wide margin, the most curt post that I’ve seen you make (minus the signature). You freaking rock.

• Like 1

As far as a ratio of information-to-words is concerned, this ranks up there with some of your most informative posts, but this is, by a wide margin, the most curt post that I’ve seen you make (minus the signature). You freaking rock.

I had a larger response, but could not really say more without revealing too much. A simple yes speaks volumes in this case, as you point out.

Robert

• Like 1

I still can't even stream Pandora or Google Music on my commute because the 3g speeds are so slow... I have no idea how they think they can pull off any sort of pre-launch by September 21st. I'm just happy to see they are keeping up the pace, but where I live there has been no improvement over the past few months and it has only gotten worse. Unless the maps are wrong, my hometown area of Wheaton, Winfield, Warrenville, Carol Stream, West Chicago, area is a blackhole for Sprint.

I still can't even stream Pandora or Google Music on my commute because the 3g speeds are so slow... I have no idea how they think they can pull off any sort of pre-launch by September 21st. I'm just happy to see they are keeping up the pace, but where I live there has been no improvement over the past few months and it has only gotten worse. Unless the maps are wrong, my hometown area of Wheaton, Winfield, Warrenville, Carol Stream, West Chicago, area is a blackhole for Sprint.

Pre launch only refers to sites that have 4G LTE and backhaul improvements complete will now allow LTE to be discoverable by LTE customers. Which is something we have always advocated from the get-go here at S4GRU. When and where it is complete, let us use it!

For a complete list of sites that have 4G LTE improvements to date in the Chicago (and many other markets), you can go to the NV Sites Complete map in the Sponsor section. For more information about how to become a S4GRU Sponsor, you can visit this thread: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert

• Like 3

I agree. I'm in the Oak Meadows area of West Chicago. I used to have a great signal. Now I have none. NONE. NONE. NONE. Sprint CS or their executive offices don't care either. They give me the patented excuse of their NV upgrades and that things will get "better".

Drove over to Barrington Rd today:

LTE2.jpgLTE+1.jpg

I assume this site will stay live since a Sprint corporate store is right now the street.

You may already know this, but that -73dBm signal shown in NetMonitor is actually the 1x signal strength. NetMonitor never shows the actual LTE signal strength, unfortunately, nor the actual LTE site location. But it will tell you whether you have an active LTE data session.

The only place to get the actual LTE signal strength in a LTE device is in the ##DEBUG# menu in the LTE Engineering screen.

Robert

You may already know this, but that -73dBm signal shown in NetMonitor is actually the 1x signal strength. NetMonitor never shows the actual LTE signal strength, unfortunately, nor the actual LTE site location. But it will tell you whether you have an active LTE data session.

The only place to get the actual LTE signal strength in a LTE device is in the ##DEBUG# menu in the LTE Engineering screen.

Robert

That's weird or maybe just coincidental that when I connected in the suburbs a few weeks ago I drove to the spot on the map and pulled off to the side of the road right in front of me visually and was the new tower and I watched the dBm get stronger and strong as I approached other and had a super strong and fast signal when doing a speedtest. The location on the map was spot on with where the tower was I pulled right up to? So that was coincidental or what?

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

That's weird or maybe just coincidental that when I connected in the suburbs a few weeks ago I drove to the spot on the map and pulled off to the side of the road right in front of me visually and was the new tower and I watched the dBm get stronger and strong as I approached other and had a super strong and fast signal when doing a speedtest. The location on the map was spot on with where the tower was I pulled right up to? So that was coincidental or what?

sent from my G III via tapatalk.

Not so much coincidental. You can be connected to the same 1x site as LTE site. But it's important to note that the signal strength shown is never LTE and always 1x. But in the instances where you are connected to the same site for both, the signal strength may be similar.

Robert

i have confirmed LTE in waukegan IL it's a similar speed compared to wimax but seems to be a bit more consistent and wayyy better indoor reception. just got a signal this morning for the first time.

tried to do a speedtest on my laptop via wifi tehter but the download speed said 910 kbps upload said 2.9 Mb/s so i know somethings up with that. on the device(GS3) it stated 6.6 Mb/s down and 3.2 Mb/s up 22 ms ping. pretty damn decent if you have been stuck on 3g for months. i'm super happy now that i can power my new win8 touchscreen laptop to LTE on the go in tablet mode and make the new iPad LTE users look like idiots as I send full studio sessions to my homies while on a train ride to chicago. the battery life while on 4g is the real BIG deal. after four hours of tethering im still on 87%. with txts/calls coming in the whole time. that fat bill i pay sprint may be worth it after all. and verizon can kick sprints ass speedwise but since they have capped data they can kiss my ass instead.

i have confirmed LTE in waukegan IL it's a similar speed compared to wimax but seems to be a bit more consistent and wayyy better indoor reception. just got a signal this morning for the first time.

tried to do a speedtest on my laptop via wifi tehter but the download speed said 910 kbps upload said 2.9 Mb/s so i know somethings up with that. on the device(GS3) it stated 6.6 Mb/s down and 3.2 Mb/s up 22 ms ping. pretty damn decent if you have been stuck on 3g for months. i'm super happy now that i can power my new win8 touchscreen laptop to LTE on the go in tablet mode and make the new iPad LTE users look like idiots as I send full studio sessions to my homies while on a train ride to chicago. the battery life while on 4g is the real BIG deal. after four hours of tethering im still on 87%. with txts/calls coming in the whole time. that fat bill i pay sprint may be worth it after all. and verizon can kick sprints ass speedwise but since they have capped data they can kiss my ass instead.

Tell us what you REALLY think. :)

Its pretty damn good to be honest. The building penetration is outstanding the speeds are only amazing if you have never seen Verizon LTE in action. But good nonetheless. I have nothing to REALLY complain about.... and the delivered sooner than expected so sprint has finally earned the money I dreaded paying them since I got a gs3 and left the 3vo. XD

the battery drain (or lack thereof) is the cherry on top. 7 hours on LTE and I have 69% battery. the only time I got a juice boost is when I plugged to my laptop to transfer a file for less than five minutes. I've been talking texting and everything all day. On some iOS type shyt. Sprint may be winning if they move Evo LTE's,GS3'S, and iPhone 5 LTE's like rick ross claims to move chickens (LMAO).

+1 I'm like a kid in a candy store cant wait for more towers to get LTE. So far I only get it in my room. And just got back from driving around using sensorly so other users can see where 4G is active. Btw this is the speedtest in my room

Sent From EVO LTE

Have 4g in Elgin today, I believe it's pre-launch based on a article posted here a few days ago. In my house I get about 4-8mbps download. I drove down the Street (1mile or so) picked up 31mbps. Very happy :)

Those speeds will become much more consistent when the network fills out more with active LTE towers.