Network Vision/LTE - Chicago Market

thesickness069

Its pretty damn good to be honest. The building penetration is outstanding the speeds are only amazing if you have never seen Verizon LTE in action. But good nonetheless. I have nothing to REALLY complain about.... and the delivered sooner than expected so sprint has finally earned the money I dreaded paying them since I got a gs3 and left the 3vo. XD

Ya, but still I'll agree with the original post- all that speed is of little use to me if I'm data capped, and if was was to download any large files I think in real world scenarios it would be negligible because you can only get so much bandwidth from most servers you are trying to download from. Now maybe it would be a plus if doing multiple data heavy tasks like download and stream or something but I don't even want to imagine the monthly charges I'd rack up by going over my cap on Verizon or at&t.

Does the EVO have a much bigger battery than the GSIII, because I don't think there's any way I could get that battery life duration on my GSIII, or is there something I'm not doing or managing the settings because I feel like my battery goes quick and isn't terrible but definitely not getting close to Samsung's stated battery life???

Ya, but still I'll agree with the original post- all that speed is of little use to me if I'm data capped, and if was was to download any large files I think in real world scenarios it would be negligible because you can only get so much bandwidth from most servers you are trying to download from. Now maybe it would be a plus if doing multiple data heavy tasks like download and stream or something but I don't even want to imagine the monthly charges I'd rack up by going over my cap on Verizon or at&t.

Does the EVO have a much bigger battery than the GSIII, because I don't think there's any way I could get that battery life duration on my GSIII, or is there something I'm not doing or managing the settings because I feel like my battery goes quick and isn't terrible but definitely not getting close to Samsung's stated battery life???

the sg3 has a bigger battery then the EVO LTE

Sent From EVO LTE

Was in Joliet, Il at Chicagoland Speedway for the race today. Barely sniffed some LTE just outside the track off Turn 1. Didn't see any LTE the rest of the day until I came back through that area walking to the parking lots. My signal must not have been that great, as I could only get it in that one area. Didn't have time to mess around with it too much. Never had LTE inside the track or anywhere besides that spot in turn 1. Here's my best speedtest:

248264952.png

screenshot2012091620334.th.png

• Like 1

Was in Joliet, Il at Chicagoland Speedway for the race today. Barely sniffed some LTE just outside the track off Turn 1. Didn't see any LTE the rest of the day until I came back through that area walking to the parking lots. My signal must not have been that great, as I could only get it in that one area. Didn't have time to mess around with it too much. Never had LTE inside the track or anywhere besides that spot in turn 1. Here's my best speedtest:

248264952.png

screenshot2012091620334.th.png

I had the same exact thing as well at the track today.

+1 I'm like a kid in a candy store cant wait for more towers to get LTE. So far I only get it in my room. And just got back from driving around using sensorly so other users can see where 4G is active. Btw this is the speedtest in my room

Sent From EVO LTE

i have confirmed LTE in waukegan IL it's a similar speed compared to wimax but seems to be a bit more consistent and wayyy better indoor reception. just got a signal this morning for the first time.

tried to do a speedtest on my laptop via wifi tehter but the download speed said 910 kbps upload said 2.9 Mb/s so i know somethings up with that. on the device(GS3) it stated 6.6 Mb/s down and 3.2 Mb/s up 22 ms ping. pretty damn decent if you have been stuck on 3g for months. i'm super happy now that i can power my new win8 touchscreen laptop to LTE on the go in tablet mode and make the new iPad LTE users look like idiots as I send full studio sessions to my homies while on a train ride to chicago. the battery life while on 4g is the real BIG deal. after four hours of tethering im still on 87%. with txts/calls coming in the whole time. that fat bill i pay sprint may be worth it after all. and verizon can kick sprints ass speedwise but since they have capped data they can kiss my ass instead.

Can you tell me which towers you guys are connecting to? According to the maps, there are only two towers that have 4G- the one near Green Bay and Buckley at the training center and the one at Washington and Keller/McAree.

I saw blips of 4G while I was heading north on 94 towards Grand. I only started seeing these brief connections once I was approaching/past Buckley. I’m currently on the west side of 94 right across from Gurnee Mills and only picking up 3G.

Nothing in the small town of Marengo yet. (pretty far out here though)

Although my phone is showing an eHRPD connection (Galaxy S3)...

Does eHRPD indicate that I'm connected to a tower that will support LTE at some point in time? Or is it just that it has the ability to hand off to an LTE tower properly?

Does eHRPD indicate that I'm connected to a tower that will support LTE at some point in time?

No. However, all "towers" will support LTE at some point in time.

Or is it just that it has the ability to hand off to an LTE tower properly?

This. Yes, this is the accurate statement. However, your site in Marengo will likely have LTE within the next 60 days.

Robert

No. However, all "towers" will support LTE at some point in time.

This. Yes, this is the accurate statement. However, your site in Marengo will likely have LTE within the next 60 days.

Robert

Thanks for the quick reply.

But I'm curious, I've seen it stated that the Network Upgrades were already done in this area, they also indicate that they will go live on the 21st with all LTE work that's "done", but you say within 60 days... Granted... 4 days is "within 60 days" but it sounds like you beleive that it will be longer than the 4 days, which suggests that they are not done in this area...

Got anymore information on that, by chance?

Thanks!

But I'm curious, I've seen it stated that the Network Upgrades were already done in this area, they also indicate that they will go live on the 21st with all LTE work that's "done", but you say within 60 days... Granted... 4 days is "within 60 days" but it sounds like you beleive that it will be longer than the 4 days, which suggests that they are not done in this area...

Thanks!

We track completed sites in our Sponsor section. We update the maps every week showing which sites Sprint has accepted complete, with which upgrades. Network Vision involves upgrading three things at each site: 3G EVDO upgrades, 800MHz voice upgrades and LTE upgrades.

For more information about how to become a Sponsor, visit this link: http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/1195-information-about-s4gru-sponsorship-levels-and-how-to-become-a-sponsor/

Robert

West of the tri-state. Don't want to narrow it down too much as then you'll know where I work... ;)

You’ll be able to maintain your occupational anonymity as long as you don’t say, “Takeda Parkway and Lake Cook Road.”

You could just say that it’s the tower between Saunders and Portwine just off of Lake Cook. That narrows it down to about 5 large companies within a 1-mile radius with roughly 20,000 employees total. I think you’ll be ok, Bruce Wayne. ;)

• Like 2

I've got 30+ down and 12up on lake cook road near Milwaukee as well as on Milwaukee @ cubby bear north. I am on my bike on the river trail and I tan sensorly so it should be up in a bit. I'll keep running tests while I wait for my.ride (i got a flat tire)

• Like 1

Hey look another Marengoite, Cool. :) With visual Inspection both towers(Harmony Rd tower& one by Marengo Ridge) do have the necessary hardware upgrades. Harmony Tower does have the upgraded backhaul installed already. But the one by Marengo Ridge so far doesn't or rather I haven't experienced it. As far as Lte I think the Harmony tower doesn't have much too much of a wait. Maybe a few weeks at most.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Can you tell me which towers you guys are connecting to? According to the maps, there are only two towers that have 4G- the one near Green Bay and Buckley at the training center and the one at Washington and Keller/McAree.

I saw blips of 4G while I was heading north on 94 towards Grand. I only started seeing these brief connections once I was approaching/past Buckley. I’m currently on the west side of 94 right across from Gurnee Mills and only picking up 3G.

I live off McAree and sunset so I get LTE in my bedroom 5Mbps-12Mbps and also get it once in a while in the living room around 2.5-3Mbps. When I use netmonitor it says im connected to the Robert Mcclory bike path tower in beach park. Have no clue if its accurate or not though.

Sent From EVO LTE

• Like 1

Also I connected to LTE right by the mall on grand right next to the shell gas station but soon as you actually drive by the mall it disappears :/ oh and there is brief LTE on greenbay and yorkhousen. soon as you past the 711 or w.e gas station that is you will get lte.

Sent From EVO LTE

I live off McAree and sunset so I get LTE in my bedroom 5Mbps-12Mbps and also get it once in a while in the living room around 2.5-3Mbps. When I use netmonitor it says im connected to the Robert Mcclory bike path tower in beach park. Have no clue if its accurate or not though.

Sent From EVO LTE

This was the 1x site you were connected to. Even though NetMonitor will say "Network: LTE" when you have a LTE connection, it will only show the BSID, signal strength and map location for the 1x site you are connected to. These will often be different, especially in urban/suburban locations.

Robert

• Like 1

i had to go into airplane mode to get it to connect the first time but after that it worked prefect. IF you want to see where i was ( the tower i could give you only guarantee 1x) go to sensorly.com and see their map. it was updated wiht my data. it went as far south as deerfield rd and up to lincolnshire where cubby bear north is. i has average of 15/mbps down and 12/mbps up with peaks over 30/mbps down. i would upload the pics but forum runner doesnt seem to ever work for me.