Marcelo Claure, Town Hall Meetings, New Family Share Pack Plan, Unlimited Individual Plan, Discussion Thread

joshuam

On 11/29/2017 at 9:20 PM, rocketr said:

I just know on T-Moble it really helped network reliability and speed. Also I think they should work on multiple band CA between 800 and 1900 then keep the B41 CA how it is...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Eh, I have a T-Mobile line and while it looks great on cherry picked speedtest screenshots, it really isn't awesome when you're in an urban environment where coverage starts lacking in building. For example, in my apartment in NYC, my Verizon phone is receiving a -97dB B4 signal, Sprint is parked on a -104dB B41, and T-Mobile is showing a -112dB B4 signal. SNR for all three devices is anywhere from 2.5 to 6dB. 

A speedtest on all three at the same time shows:

Verizon: 40.81dl/29.55ul

Sprint: 10.39dl/4.28ul

T-Mobile: 6.38dl/12.76ul

• Like 2

Good interview. So for 2018 the focus with the increased capex is an accelerated network upgrades, new cell sites in new areas and Massive Mimo. 

Lets see how this goes. I seems like they are more sure of themselves this go around. 

• Like 3

Eh, I have a T-Mobile line and while it looks great on cherry picked speedtest screenshots, it really isn't awesome when you're in an urban environment where coverage starts lacking in building. For example, in my apartment in NYC, my Verizon phone is receiving a -97dB B4 signal, Sprint is parked on a -104dB B41, and T-Mobile is showing a -112dB B4 signal. SNR for all three devices is anywhere from 2.5 to 6dB. 
A speedtest on all three at the same time shows:
Verizon: 40.81dl/29.55ul
Sprint: 10.39dl/4.28ul
T-Mobile: 6.38dl/12.76ul
I live in Minnesota. So last weekend I tested all 4 carriers at the Mall of America. Tmobile was on 2xca 15x15 B2 with 20x20 B4 and speed was 20-45 down. Vzw was more consistent with 150 down. Sprint was. 25-50 Mbps. Att was the slowest with no CA only 10x10 B30 around 6-14 Mbps.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Did anyone notice around the 2:28 mark in the video, Gunther referenced 600mHz in his chart?    Do you think they will have a roaming ability on it ?    Not sure when this interview was taped, but it would be great if we could.   

Edited by dro1984

8 minutes ago, dro1984 said:

Did anyone notice around the 2:28 mark in the video, Gunther referenced 600mHz in his chart?    Do you think they will have a roaming ability on it ?    Not sure when this interview was taped, but it would be great if we could.   

I think he included it just to show the differences of spectrum holdings between each company.

I would like for Sprint and Dish form a partnership where Dish can use Sprint’s towers to deploy their spectrum and Sprint users are able to gain access to it.

• Like 2

I think he included it just to show the differences of spectrum holdings between each company.
I would like for Sprint and Dish form a partnership where Dish can use Sprint’s towers to deploy their spectrum and Sprint users are able to gain access to it.

I agree. I would see it where where both pay for new towers Sprint pays for B25,26,41. Dish has for theres. I don't know the band numbers. I think it's 71/66. Not sure

8 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

I agree. I would see it where where both pay for new towers Sprint pays for B25,26,41. Dish has for theres. I don't know the band numbers. I think it's 71/66. Not sure

Dish’s spectrum holdings are:

- 6 MHz 700 E Block (722-728)

- 15 MHz of AWS-3 (1695-1710)

- 10 MHz FDD PCS H Block (1915-1920, 1995-2000)

- 40 MHz FDD of AWS-4 (2000-2020, 2180-2200)

What band number is the H pcs block and aws 4?

20 minutes ago, Tengen31 said:

What band number is the H pcs block and aws 4?

A boutique band has been created for Dish (Band 70):

- Downlink: PCS H Block downlink + AWS-4 (1995-2020)

- Uplink: AWS-3 (1695-1710)

1 hour ago, RAvirani said:

Plus 10+ of 600MHz

3 minutes ago, RAvirani said:

Oops yup forgot to mention that

Between Dish, Comcast and AT&T you might be able to assemble a nice little trove of 600MHz spectrum particularly in urban areas. If Sprint was not so cash strapped...

Quick rundown of UBS Conference with Tarek Robbiati

-70% POP on B41

-50% of Towers have B41

-Adding a couple thousand Macro sites

-Making all sites Triband is key

-Massive MIMO will be deployed extensively compared to other carriers

-Full access to Altice backhaul to deploy small cells (seems limited to their footprint) No Permits needed, quick to market deployment and best price.

-reiterated increase in Capex between 5 and 6B for 2018

-Improving Customer service

-Increase in prices (but still be the least expensive of all carriers)

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 2

Sprint CFO Tarek Robbiati @ 45th Annual Global Media and Communications Conference

All Q&A

Sprint priorities  for  2018: on execution - network rollout, customer experience, distribution.

decisions to invest in network was made before merger talks.

we will triband a lot of our towers.

2.5 now on 50% of tower.  expansion is #1

2) add a few new towers in specific neighborhoods (a few thousand)

3) will be aggressive about rolling out massive mimo 64x64

4) small cell densification: mini macros, air strands, magic boxes

5-6 billion next next, and then same level for a few more years

*year

small cells: have obtained several thousand small cell permits. Altice as well which includes reasonable backhaul.

looking at markets where they can really gain share first

1100 company owned retail stores at the end of June

then 360 stores via Radio Shack, 200 via car warehouse, 200 new Sprint

improving the customer experience: have analytical model for churn score - relates highly to network quality.  Now looking at other churn factors such as customer care.

churn has improved this quarter

churn is always a local issue

Sprint seems to be changing its tune on how they address price? they intend to remain price leader.  raised prices in the last few weeks and may again.

iphone x short supply limited promotions

arpu is higher than t-mobile.  will be offering new services to raise arpu

what is driving people into the Sprint stores?  we will go deeper in markets where we feel that we have the networks up to scratch

in 9 quarters we have cut 9 billion in costs.  now is the time to rebalance cost cuts with reinvestments.

*5 billion

more into IT to improve customer experience

really critical that we put our spectrum to use once and for all

cash flow should be around break even except next year

will be doing the second traunch of spectrum lease co, and another spectrum financing

will be doing the same with devices

arm and satellite LTE mentioned as futures.   Marcello is in Japan.  pro and cons of staying public.  happy where we are. done.

• Like 8

Just now, Paynefanbro said:

Say what you want about Sprint but it seems like Sprint is the most innovative with regard to small cell solutions right now. 

Yes.

Verizon may have more at the moment, but Sprint's relative lack of infinite investment cash is really making them get creative and they're cooking up some really neat stuff with the relays, magic boxes, and the Altice plans.

• Like 3