Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

I was told this is the correct sim

760494000114 LTEGSM REMOV 4FF CSIM V3

That could be true.  If so, it would help to explain some issues.

First, it is a V3, which does not appear in the SIM compatibility matrix posted here at S4GRU.  Thus, it could be the "new" SIM type that some have been told.

Second, it is a CSIM, which I understand can activate both LTE and CDMA2000 in one step.  That would not surprise me, as a non CSIM inserted into the 2015 Moto X prompts an automated activation sequence that does not complete.

AJ

• Like 2

At Sprint now. The guy seems to know what he has to do. Calling to get the IMEI added to their system.

Will update soon.

So they have to create a ticket... Could take days ... Ugh.

This guy really knew his stuff but the person he is on the phone with doesn't know how to handle it.

Looks like this is the correct SIM, based on what The Playbook image said.  I will be giving it a try in about 20-30 minutes when my wife gets home from Best Buy Mobile.

SIMGLW446C

SKU: CZ2144LWC

UPC: 019962040146

Works with:
HTC One M9
Motorola Moto X Pure (3rd Generation)
Nexus 6 from Google Play**
Nexus 6 from Motorola**

It may be $10 down the drain, but I will get it back in credit from Sprint, per the rep I just spoke to.  I just need to message Sprint Care on Twitter and have it done.  Sprint dropped the ball and as a 15 year customer who wants them to succeed, it infuriates me that the folks running the retail side only care about sales, not supporting the customer and the network.  Sprint, more than ANY other network needs to be customer focused and ready take care of issues and provide the best support.

On my third online chat after receiving 2 wrong sim cards,  I provided Sprint with the SKU: CZ2144LWC and UPC: 019962040146 and a link to the playbook image. A supervisor placed the order for me. Here is the info from my order:

Product ID: 019962040146

Description: WW GEM LTE+GSM REM 4FF CSIM V5

Various UICC/SIM cards that S4GRU members have received or had ordered for them thus far...

CZ2104LWR
SIMGLW406R
Worldwide 4FF removable LTE + GSM

CZ2114LWC
SIMGLW416C
Worldwide 4FF removable with CSIM v2

CZ2124LWC (???)
SIMGLW426C (???)

LTEGSM REMOV 4FF CSIM V3

CZ2144LWC
SIMGLW446C
WW GEM LTE+GSM REM 4FF CSIM V5

The last appears to be the correct "new" UICC/SIM, as its identifiers do match up with those listed in the leaked Playbook document.

AJ

• Like 1

Ugh, Sprint is having trouble activating, even though the website did not throw out an incompatible error, it just said I had to call to get my phone activated.  Of course, it always does that whenever I want to switch a phone from line to line or activate an older device.  Now I'm on hold waiting for tech support to get a lead or supervisor for guidance.

What SIM does the iPhone 6 use?  When I pop that in, I at least get data from SignalCheck Pro.

One of the CSIMs, probably V3.

AJ

UPDATE: My Moto X Pure Edition 32GB is up and running on Sprint!

Tech Support Supervisor was not helpful at all, he kept telling me that his system said the SIM/UICC card was invalid.  While on hold, I tried to activate again, all looked good until it came up saying:

MotoXChat.PNG

I opened the Chat Window (see the far right-hand side of the screenshot for the button) and gave the rep my IMEI (with the last # left off) and the ICC ID from my SIM card and it was activated within 5 minutes.

So the following SIM is correct:

SIMGLW446C
SKU: CZ2144LWC

UPC: 019962040146

I was able to buy that SIM from the local Best Buy Mobile store for $9.99 + Tax.  Since I was still on the phone with the Tech Support Supervisor, I politely asked for an account credit for having to pay for the SIM.  He credited my account $15.

So that's what it takes to get it going.  I hope this information helps others.

• Like 4

Tech Support Supervisor was not helpful at all, he kept telling me that his system said the SIM/UICC card was invalid.  While on hold, I tried to activate again, all looked good until it came up saying:

How did you get a hold of a Tech Support Supervisor?  I keep getting passed on only to end up in the same menu.  Getting very frustrated.

How did you get a hold of a Tech Support Supervisor?  I keep getting passed on only to end up in the same menu.  Getting very frustrated.

I first spoke with someone in Tech Support to get my phone activated.  I've had better luck with them than regular CS.  Then after she failed to activate after two attempts, I asked to see if I could speak to a supervisor to make my voice heard that this botched launch is unacceptable and that this should be researched.  Of course he really didn't seem to care.  So YMMV.  In the end, he only gave me the credit, he did nothing else for me, it was Chat that helped get me activated.

I first spoke with someone in Tech Support to get my phone activated.  I've had better luck with them than regular CS.  Then after she failed to activate after two attempts, I asked to see if I could speak to a supervisor to make my voice heard that this botched launch is unacceptable and that this should be researched.  Of course he really didn't seem to care.  So YMMV.  In the end, he only gave me the credit, he did nothing else for me, it was Chat that helped get me activated.

Weird.  I wonder how the Chat rep got the IMEI to work...

• Like 1

Good job.  The Best Buy Mobile suggestion is useful.  I am not averse to paying $10 for a new UICC/SIM.  For comparison, T-Mobile charges $15.

Now that you have the 2015 Moto X activated on Sprint, we need you to check a few things.  Access to engineering screens is somewhat in doubt.  Start by trying the classic Sprint dialer code ##DEBUG#, then report back.

AJ

• Like 1

Access to engineering screens is somewhat in doubt.  Start by trying the classic Sprint dialer code ##DEBUG#, then report back.

AJ

No luck, I typed exactly ##DEBUG# in the dialer and nothing happened.  Hmm, that isn't good.

No luck, I typed exactly ##DEBUG# in the dialer and nothing happened.  Hmm, that isn't good.

The code changed with the Nexus 6.  Try *#*#33284#*#* next.

AJ

• Like 1

Success:

Eureka!

Now, check LTE Engineering for 2x CA signal metrics.  Any SCC fields?

Thanks...

AJ

Good job. The Best Buy Mobile suggestion is useful. I am not averse to paying $10 for a new UICC/SIM. For comparison, T-Mobile charges $15.

Now that you have the 2015 Moto X activated on Sprint, we need you to check a few things. Access to engineering screens is somewhat in doubt. Start by trying the classic Sprint dialer code ##DEBUG#, then report back.

AJ

The pricing for SIMs at BB are all over the place. For Sprint they carry 6 or 7 different SKUs ranging from $2.99 to $29.99. They are not customer facing merchandise. You will need to ask an employee to sell you one. I usually will "Price Match" it down to $9.99 if it rings up at the higher price. Since Sprint does not list the SIM price on their website you may have a little difficulty getting the price marked down.

Sent from my Tab 4

Eureka!

Now, check LTE Engineering for 2x CA signal metrics.  Any SCC fields?

Thanks...

AJ

I do not see an SCC field listed on the screen.  Then again, I do not believe 2x CA is live here yet.  Would that be dependent on the local tower site having 2x CA on?

I do not see an SCC field listed on the screen.  Then again, I do not believe 2x CA is live here yet.  Would that be dependent on the local tower site having 2x CA on?

No, not likely.  Unfortunately, like HTC, Motorola probably has not updated its engineering screens to reflect SCC readout for 2x CA.  I feared this.  LG and Samsung, though, have updated their engineering screens.

Try *#*#DATA#*#* as another dialer code.  Just view -- do not edit.  But you should be able to view band settings, possibly even if 2x CA is enabled.

And I am serious -- do not edit the band settings.  That has bricked the radio in previous Motorola handsets.

AJ

No, not likely. Unfortunately, like HTC, Motorola probably has not updated its engineering screens to reflect SCC readout for 2x CA. I feared this. LG and Samsung, though, have updated their engineering screens.

Try *#*#DATA#*#* as another dialer code. Just view -- do not edit. But you should be able to view band settings, possibly even if 2x CA is enabled.

And I am serious -- do not edit the band settings. That has bricked the radio in previous Motorola handsets.

AJ

Tried both dial codes, didn't see any scc fields.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

No, not likely.  Unfortunately, like HTC, Motorola probably has not updated its engineering screens to reflect SCC readout for 2x CA.  I feared this.  LG and Samsung, though, have updated their engineering screens.

Try *#*#DATA#*#* as another dialer code.  Just view -- do not edit.  But you should be able to view band settings, possibly even if 2x CA is enabled.

AJ

Here is what I see on that screen - Band 12 is there for CCA compatibility I assume?

Screenshot_2015-09-12-15-19-37.png

Screenshot_2015-09-12-14-58-39.png

Screenshot_2015-09-12-14-58-47.png

The LTE-Available screen just shows the NID SID and BSID.

Tried both dial codes, didn't see any scc fields.

The *#*#DATA#*#* dialer code will not display any signal metrics, just settings.  It is possible that 2x CA is not enabled out of the box.  It may need to be turned on manually or via a profile update.  That certainly was the case earlier this year with the first 2x CA capable handsets.

AJ

Here is what I see on that screen - Band 12 is there for CCA compatibility I assume?

The LTE-Available screen just shows the NID SID and BSID.

You haven't taken screenshots of LTE Engineering yet.