Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

That does not sound right. nTelos should not have native Sprint coverage in Winchester. Are you sure you are not just switching between two sectors on the Shentel site? Does "Signal Check" show you the nTelos carrier info?? If you do not see the ntelos Sid, you probably are not on the nTelos network in Winchester. Go to the site and do a 360 degree run around the site. Identify the 3 sectors and then see what you get at home. you should see SID of 4195 and 3 different BID's. The NID will probably stay on 8 if you stay on Shentel.

It switches between 4195, 22435, and 4379.

6uguqu2u.jpg

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

It switches between 4195, 22435, and 4379.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

The first one is 1900 CDMA 1x provided by Shentel for Sprint.  The second one is 800 CDMA 1x provided by Shentel for Sprint.   The 4379 is nTelos for sure.  I just looked at the latest PRL to see what the priorities are.    All 3 of them are equal priority and that completely shocked me.  I was very very surprised to see a nTelos SID that could be accessed in Winchester and be treated as Sprint Native service.  I did notice that it appears to be using nTelos Spectrum and not normal Sprint channels.

Some time ago, the ntelos SID was a secondary priority and you never got on the nTelos sites unless the Shentel sites were down.  And it showed the roaming indicator. 

This really shocks me,  I never dreamed that the nTelos SID was of equal priority in the PRL. I would think that Shentel may not like this and it may even be causing issues if you can access the nTelos network and not be roaming in Winchester. Maybe Shentels agreement does not have exclusivity, but I thought it did.

The first one is 1900 CDMA 1x provided by Shentel for Sprint. The second one is 800 CDMA 1x provided by Shentel for Sprint. The 4379 is nTelos for sure. I just looked at the latest PRL to see what the priorities are. All 3 of them are equal priority and that completely shocked me. I was very very surprised to see a nTelos SID that could be accessed in Winchester and be treated as Sprint Native service. I did notice that it appears to be using nTelos Spectrum and not normal Sprint channels.

Some time ago, the ntelos SID was a secondary priority and you never got on the nTelos sites unless the Shentel sites were down. And it showed the roaming indicator.

This really shocks me, I never dreamed that the nTelos SID was of equal priority in the PRL. I would think that Shentel may not like this and it may even be causing issues if you can access the nTelos network and not be roaming in Winchester. Maybe Shentels agreement does not have exclusivity, but I thought it did.

I knew what the SIDs were. My guess is something to do with the CCA. My m7 showed the roaming indicator whenever I force roamed. I've only seen the roaming indicator on my m8 once the other day when I was in Sterling and it went on Verizon.

Sent from my HTC ONE M8

Well just like I thought, things were overloaded, but shentel is getting the upgrades and capacity out there, I'm slowly getting back up to the 20+Mbps speeds I was seeing when lte first launched, good things are still coming, I feel like some of you guys need to relax before lashing out when someone says something about the speeds getting really slow compared to what they used to be

Well just like I thought, things were overloaded, but shentel is getting the upgrades and capacity out there, I'm slowly getting back up to the 20+Mbps speeds I was seeing when lte first launched, good things are still coming, I feel like some of you guys need to relax before lashing out when someone says something about the speeds getting really slow compared to what they used to be

No one lashed out at anyone. Facts were presented. That is all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up B26 from a tower that didn't even have 1x800 a couple weeks ago in the Quicksburg / New Market area. Keep the upgrades coming. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Band 26 live in Harrisburg on Grayson road

Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to re-activate my LG G2 and check things out.

• Like 1

http://www.nvdaily.com/news/2014/06/county-oks-new-shentel-tower.php

Shentel is replacing the tower at 1503 Cottontown Road. The old one couldn't hold any more equipment.

This might explain why there's been no 800 (1x or LTE) on the existing tower. I'm guessing they just did a GMO build on it until they got permission to build the new monopole. This is in my county so I'll try to keep an eye on it and post back when it's done.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Not a lot of people know this but I used to work for shentel and during conversation... 800 is coming now and are in talks about expanding b41. I was told as well if the T-Mobile merger went through its as easy as adding it via computer.

Shentel is VERY dedicated to its network, but that's why they are very successful

• Like 1

Not a lot of people know this but I used to work for shentel and during conversation... 800 is coming now and are in talks about expanding b41. I was told as well if the T-Mobile merger went through its as easy as adding it via computer.

Shentel is VERY dedicated to its network, but that's why they are very successful

Johnathan,

Most of your post is absolutely true.  But the comment about adding T-mobile being easy to add via computer is arguable.

It just is not going to be that easy. If they trash the old t-mobile network completely and just give them CDMA phones, it might be easy, but I doubt that it would go down that way.   There will be some havoc, we just do not know exactly where or what it will be yet.

One thing for sure, in the Shentel footprint, the T-mobile customers would get  a tremendous boost in coverage and overall cell service that was much much better. Shentel has almost 100% of their footprint covered with excellent voice and LTE coverage.   T-Mobile has horrible service in the same area.

• Like 1

Man I have not been paying much attention to this thread lately. I had no idea B26 LTE was starting to pop up in Harrisburg. I was just at Dockside Willies a couple hours ago but I didn't even think to check if I could get B26.

• Like 1

Agreed on B26 finally being rolled out in Harrisburg. My house in Lower Paxton has it and now my work off of Progress Ave. has it as well. I'd say the coverage is similar to 1x1900 for sure. Much improved in building coverage compared to B25.

• Like 2

Agreed on B26 finally being rolled out in Harrisburg. My house in Lower Paxton has it and now my work off of Progress Ave. has it as well. I'd say the coverage is similar to 1x1900 for sure. Much improved in building coverage compared to B25.

Have you checked any signal levels while on band 26 vs what you used to get on band 25? I live in Swatara Township and am wondering whether or not it is worth it for me to re-activate my LG G2 (a phone I totally hate). If the in-building performance is really significantly better I would try it, otherwise I'll just wait until the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is released on Sprint before I switch back to a Tri Band device.

Thanks for any input!

Have you checked any signal levels while on band 26 vs what you used to get on band 25? I live in Swatara Township and am wondering whether or not it is worth it for me to re-activate my LG G2 (a phone I totally hate). If the in-building performance is really significantly better I would try it, otherwise I'll just wait until the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 is released on Sprint before I switch back to a Tri Band device.

Thanks for any input!

You hate the G2? I'll take it! Haha. 

You hate the G2? I'll take it! Haha.

I know this is not the thread for this, but.... My G2 is not a very good performer. The RF performance is somewhat deaf, the GPS sensitivity is poor and worst of all I hate the sound quality in the earpiece, not to mention the speaker. My Samsung GN3, really outperforms the G2 by leaps and bounds.

I know this is not the thread for this, but.... My G2 is not a very good performer. The RF performance is somewhat deaf, the GPS sensitivity is poor and worst of all I hate the sound quality in the earpiece, not to mention the speaker. My Samsung GN3, really outperforms the G2 by leaps and bounds.

I agree on the speaker/earpiece being awful on the G2. And the LTE radio isn't anything special however the B26 connectivity is much improved. If I went into any kind of structure that wasn't directly next to a tower previously I'd get no LTE. Now, unless I'm deep in a building it holds onto LTE very well. Might want to give it a shot.

• Like 2

I agree on the speaker/earpiece being awful on the G2. And the LTE radio isn't anything special however the B26 connectivity is much improved. If I went into any kind of structure that wasn't directly next to a tower previously I'd get no LTE. Now, unless I'm deep in a building it holds onto LTE very well. Might want to give it a shot.

Thank you very much for the input. That's really encouraging! I'm glad to see Shentel is providing us with such great service.

I'll have to give it a shot just to test the waters. But the G2 won't be my permanent Tri Band device.

Thanks again for taking the time to post! Most appreciated!