Network Vision/LTE - Shentel Market (Shenandoah Valley/Hagerstown/Harrisburg)

Boosted20V

Experienced HD voice today...oh my gosh, I've never heard something so clear

You guys are making me jealous.  My girlfriend and I had a partial HD call this week.  She called me twice and neither one of us could hear each other.  We had to hang up - no voice whatsoever.  She said her phone said HD in the display (Galaxy S4T) during the dead calls.  I then called her back and she said OH MY GOD you sound awesome, the call then reverted back to SD at that point.  Each time I place a call to her, my phone (LG G3) displays "Attempting HD", but it's never been successful yet.  Hopefully Shentel will tweak this soon. 

Anyone in the York area having issues when trying to place a call with full service, and it never rings but the other party says it rings and they pick up and hear nothing? Happened to me a few times. Iphone 6.

Anyone in the York area having issues when trying to place a call with full service, and it never rings but the other party says it rings and they pick up and hear nothing? Happened to me a few times. Iphone 6.

Happened to me yesterday in Shenandoah Co, VA. By the end of the day everything was working normal. My guess is they were just updating something.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Happens every day when I call my office. If I call either of the comcrap lines it usually won't ring on my end the first try. Hang up and call back it usually goes right through. If the second try doesn't work I call the Verizon and it always goes through.

Yesterday was a different story. If I tried to call any number I would just get an instant busy signal. That lasted a couple hours.

Anyone in the Shentel area know if they will be rolling out Band 41? Hopefully in the York/Harrisburg area they do.

There's a premier sponsor thread to discuss B26 and B41 in the Shentel market.

Sent from my Note 4.

Per the rules of the forum, sponsors and premier sponsors aren't allowed to discuss network specifics in open areas. Consider donating to at least sponsor status to get access to the maps on this site.

Sent from my Note 4.

Anyone in the Shentel area know if they will be rolling out Band 41? Hopefully in the York/Harrisburg area they do.

Yes, they mentioned in the past that it was in the budget for 2015.    York & Harrisburg are two places that are likely to get attention for sure as they had WIMAX service via Clearwire.   The demand will be there.  Higher population areas have the need for Band 41.

• Like 1

Per the rules of the forum, sponsors and premier sponsors aren't allowed to discuss network specifics in open areas. Consider donating to at least sponsor status to get access to the maps on this site.

Sent from my Note 4.

I'll pass. Thanks anyways
  • Like 1

Yes, they mentioned in the past that it was in the budget for 2015.    York & Harrisburg are two places that are likely to get attention for sure as they had WIMAX service via Clearwire.   The demand will be there.  Higher population areas have the need for Band 41.

Harrisburg is definitely getting B41 (I won't mention specific towers in this thread). I was talking to the Shentel tower service guy. Shentel is actually going through the prep stages as we speak.

• Like 2

Harrisburg is definitely getting B41 (I won't mention specific towers in this thread). I was talking to the Shentel tower service guy. Shentel is actually going through the prep stages as we speak.

Shentel has publicly and privately stated that their primary focus for the short term is implementation of LTE 800 and LTE 1900 (2 carriers live and in planning stages for a 3rd PCS LTE 1900 carrier) and TDD-LTE 2500 in the long term.

Planning for LTE 2500 should have began already for Shentel but it's highly unlikely they'll be deploying any of those 2.5 equipment til at least Q2 due to Alcatel-Lucent 2.5 equipment shortages. 

• Like 2

Planning for LTE 2500 should have began already for Shentel but it's highly unlikely they'll be deploying any of those 2.5 equipment til at least Q2 due to Alcatel-Lucent 2.5 equipment shortages. 

Shentel is in advanced planning stages of B41 deployment.  It's imminent in key cities.  But they will be at the mercy of ALU equipment deliveries for a long time, as you point out.

• Like 6

Major eCSFB issues at my house in Lower Paxton. If I force my phone to CDMA mode calls work fine. When on LTE, it won't fall back to take a call. Just get a busy signal. Both my G2 and my wife's HTC One Max, same thing.

Major eCSFB issues at my house in Lower Paxton. If I force my phone to CDMA mode calls work fine. When on LTE, it won't fall back to take a call. Just get a busy signal. Both my G2 and my wife's HTC One Max, same thing.

Did you call and report it?

My girlfriend and I have been having quite a few phone calls to each other where it's just dead air - neither one of us has any sound in the call but we stay connected.  We have to keep disconnecting and calling again until we get a call with sound.  Possibly an HD voice issue?

Anyone else experiencing this in the Shentel area?

Did you call and report it?

My girlfriend and I have been having quite a few phone calls to each other where it's just dead air - neither one of us has any sound in the call but we stay connected.  We have to keep disconnecting and calling again until we get a call with sound.  Possibly an HD voice issue?

Anyone else experiencing this in the Shentel area?

I did have my first HD call in Harrisburg today to one of my co-workers with Sprint. Haven't reported it yet. I turned LTE mode back on and it's working now. Seems to be intermittent. Definitely annoying though.

• 2 weeks later...

Shentel Results

Continuing to add customers. 18% of customers have tri-band phones. Added 5,303 postpaid customers in the quarter. Returned to a net importer of customers with ports-in exceeding ports-out from VZ and ATT. 20% market share.

532 sites in total

84% of sites have 2 LTE carriers (second carrier being made up of 5% at 1900 , 95% at 800)

8% of sites have 3 carriers of LTE using 20mhz of 1900 and 10mhz of 800.

70% of all traffic LTE.

AVG usage of 3.3GB per month per LTE user which is significantly higher than other companies report. Seems to indicate if there is capacity customers will use it. EVDO usage is flat. 800 voice on 93% of towers.

I get the feeling Shentel may attempt to buy or merge with nTelos. They made it a point to say "While we won't comment on any particular acquisition opportunity, we remain open to any which make strategic sense as well as being open to a mutually beneficial expansion on our relationship with Sprint.” Seems to be pretty pointed to me.

• Like 4

Identified 125 sites to deploy 2.5GHz on. Will begin to deploy in 2015. Sites will be prepared to launch on by early next year (i.e. backhaul). $150k - $175k per site to set up. For the most part in metro areas but also will deploy to rest areas/truck stops along I81/PA Turnpike where demand is high.

• Like 1

I get the feeling Shentel may attempt to buy or merge with nTelos. They made it a point to say "While we won't comment on any particular acquisition opportunity, we remain open to any which make strategic sense as well as being open to a mutually beneficial expansion on our relationship with Sprint.” Seems to be pretty pointed to me.

That would be awesome (assuming the resulting company is run by Shentel's current management team).

• Like 2

Hooray for Shentel! They are a model for the communication industry and wireless deployment worldwide!

Wireless communication, yes. Wired, not so much. They are the only wired Internet provider in my county and the best they have is 10/1 dsl. That costs me $60 a month plus the mandatory telephone line charge so I pay about $86 a month for home internet.

I love their wireless side of the business but the wired side leaves a lot of room for improvement.

Sent from my Note 4.

I would like to see Shentel expand in the direction of taking over some of the more rural Sprint areas where they have landline cable already.  Think South Hill, Farmville, Clarksville, Crewe, etc.  Sprint has very few towers in those areas, they could sell cheap to Shentel which would be virtually invisible to customers, and then give Verizon and US Cellular a run for their money.

Buying nTelos would be icing on the cake.

- Trip

• Like 5